Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #7,846 of 13,846
  @arie123 I'm not done with my test on multiple power tube combinations but I felt you should know before hand to put off buying 5998 for now. There are alternatives now and they are sounding better by the minute. I have to do an extended listen to these before giving a final verdict. As usual YMMV.

What I have to say at this point is that I'm really impressed with 4x6SN7s in the power position with a variety of drivers, particularly EL3N, FDD20, Mazda, Visseaux, Fivre 6N7G. I've yet to try ECC31 or C3G with 6SN7. Combination of 2x6SN7 and 2x6BL7 as powers also works well with 2x6SN7 as drivers. All these are possible without using external power supply.

Then there's the stand alone power tubes of which I'm fond of Chatham 6AS7G and perhaps GE 6AS7GA. Mullard 6080 is suitable if you're chasing a brighter power tube.

Take your time with buying tubes. There's no need to rush now with all these choices available to us.

Too late UT.... :)  I got a good offer for both the 5998 and 6520 (copper rods) that I couldn't resist. I will stop buying tubes now (have to resist the temptation). Will shift to adapters: mrs Xuling's store is open again.

I have to say the big white adapters for eg FDD20, 6A6, EL3N are too eye catching on the Elise. I saw some posts with adapters that were painted/sprayed black. I'm thinking about using head-shrink tubing as an easier and reversible solution to achieve some camouflage . Has that been attempted before?

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #7,847 of 13,846
  but why do those Scandinavian languages sound so foreign to good ol' English, lol??!!
redface.gif
- especially as so many of you had a great time in those 'raping and pillaging' days of yore!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey, C, don't mix us Finns up with the thieving Scandi bastards! 
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Finnish, especially, should sound completely foreign to you, basically because it is. 
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,848 of 13,846

Too late UT.... :)  I got a good offer for both the 5998 and 6520 (copper rods) that I couldn't resist. I will stop buying tubes now (have to resist the temptation). Will shift to adapters: mrs Xuling's store is open again.

I have to say the big white adapters for eg FDD20, 6A6, EL3N are too eye catching on the Elise. I saw some posts with adapters that were painted/sprayed black. I'm thinking about using head-shrink tubing as an easier and reversible solution to achieve some camouflage . Has that been attempted before?

It's ok arie because if it was me I would have gotten them and I did. Any keen tube roller would have done so. 5998 are famous. They are either loved or loathed but usually the former. 6520 if they do not have the domino plates are really similar to Chatham 6AS7G but having both of them I know they're not really identical in tone. So if they are good offers, then well done. 
L3000.gif

You can paint the white adapters with automotive paint but I never bothered. I grew to accept them. Panda eyes I think of them.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #7,849 of 13,846
  Those two are Adzam tubes, made by MBLE in Belgium. I have a few somewhere. First I wasn't very keen on it in the 336se but it kind of grew on me.

You have the 336se? Are we childhood friends? I don't look like a Finn tho.

I still love that amp. Sits right next to Elise now. They share similar tubes. Amp rolling. I have to get more. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #7,852 of 13,846

Hey, C, don't mix us Finns up with the thieving Scandi bastards! 
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Finnish, especially, should sound completely foreign to you, basically because it is. 
smile.gif

I can confirm... I was in Jyväskylä (central Finland) a couple of months ago for work. It was the first time I realised that I couldn't understand a SINGLE word of this foreign language, oral or written. Nothing. A background in English, Dutch, German, French is no help whatsoever. One exception, on a menu card, was champagne - probably because not only the product but also the word is imported :)

Spent one late evening dining in a wooden hut, taking sauna's and swimming in the directly adjacent lake to cool down. The moon was very low over the lake exactly opposite the entry point in the water. It was beautiful and a magical experience. A funny thing: we were in the airplane with the Jyväskylä ice hockey team. I spent only 3 days in Finland but will remember this.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,853 of 13,846
Hey the dual 6SN7 works well in the DV336se. Behold 3x6SN7 or rather one 7N7 and 2x6SN7. No distortion no hum and sounding really sweet. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  .... and DV is cold 
bigsmile_face.gif

Must show it to the DV community.

No it doesn't behave too well in the DV. Humming when I swap HP to HD650. Volume doesn't go too loud on the T1. Manage to push to max even. No distortion but it wasn't screaming loud. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #7,854 of 13,846
Feb 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #7,856 of 13,846
Hi @mordy the good seller has given me the ok to return the 'humming' pair of GE 6BL7GTA for a refund. Very nice and good seller. I told him I'll be selecting another pair from his store. Viva Tubes by the way and I can recommend them heartily. I've bought many tubes before from them and always have a very smooth transaction.

Are there any brands worth looking at or it doesn't matter? I was thinking Ferrari brand. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7,857 of 13,846
  Hi @mordy the good seller has given me the ok to return the 'humming' pair of GE 6BL7GTA for a refund. Very nice and good seller. I told him I'll be selecting another pair from his store. Viva Tubes by the way and I can recommend them heartily. I've bought many tubes before from them and always have a very smooth transaction.

Are there any brands worth looking at or it doesn't matter? I was thinking Ferrari brand. 
wink_face.gif

I've just received a couple of used (as opposed to NOS) GE 6BL7GTA from Viva Tubes and I can second the recommendation. My ears are still misbehaving a little, but the bass punch from a 6BL7GTA/EL3N combo is amazing...but I've only just got the 6BL7GTAs and have only heard a couple of songs so far (Jacques Loussier Trio - not a bad choice for evaluating bass!). It may end up too much for me and I'll be back to 4xEL3N - though I have two more EL3Ns arriving tomorrow (to make 6). I'm not intending on buying the dual adapters, but then I was only intending on buying one pair of EL3Ns, and no 6BL7s....

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #7,858 of 13,846
  I've just received a couple of used (as opposed to NOS) GE 6BL7GTA from Viva Tubes and I can second the recommendation. My ears are still misbehaving a little, but the bass punch from a 6BL7GTA/EL3N combo is amazing...but I've only just got the 6BL7GTAs and have only heard a couple of songs so far (Jacques Loussier Trio - not a bad choice for evaluating bass!). It may end up too much for me and I'll be back to 4xEL3N - though I have two more EL3Ns arriving tomorrow (to make 6). I'm not intending on buying the dual adapters, but then I was only intending on buying one pair of EL3Ns, and no 6BL7s....

Sounds like you like 4xEL3Ns. I do too.

Here's to Viva La Vida

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #7,859 of 13,846
  Hey the dual 6SN7 works well in the DV336se. Behold 3x6SN7 or rather one 7N7 and 2x6SN7. No distortion no hum and sounding really sweet. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  .... and DV is cold 
bigsmile_face.gif

Must show it to the DV community.

No it doesn't behave too well in the DV. Humming when I swap HP to HD650. Volume doesn't go too loud on the T1. Manage to push to max even. No distortion but it wasn't screaming loud. 

HD650 is my reference HP for humming tube :wink:

I'm testing single pentode as output triode with Elise and this give very good result. I have nice result with EL3N as output tube and 6N7GT as driver... SN7 have too much gain and not enough power to be a good output tube IMHO..
EL84, 6L6, EL34, EL11, ... EL3N are god candidates for HP > 150Ohms

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #7,860 of 13,846
4x6SN7 will work nicely as power tubes in Elise (with EL3N as drivers as well as FDD20) after 2 days of testing. 2x6SN7 will not work as well.

Again 4xEL3N as power tubes drives my HE560 (35ohms) without problems... smoothly I'd say. :) 
On the whole though, I prefer my dynamics headphones now. Just a preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back