1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Oct 1, 2015.
First

Back
870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879
881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890
Next

Last
  1. HOWIE13

Congrats H1.!
    You better not plan any long spells away from home for the next year. We shall be eagerly awaiting your regular updates! [​IMG]

2. hypnos1

Hi Walderstorn.

They are indeed viewing this as an opportunity to offer this modded Elise as an option for all - anything more major that requires a change in chassis would have to be much further down the road alas...(such as a beefier/upgraded transformer etc...although I suspect this particular area wouldn't need too much attention/extra cost, given our power tubes are providing the output!).

But first they're awaiting my own impressions...although I'm sure their collective ears are far better than mine anyway LOL!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

ps. Lukasz has just informed me the price "won't be cheap" - hardly surprising, given all the upgrades made!!...especially as the teflon-tubed pure silver wire has to be constructed in-house; the special sockets entail more complicated installation - both of which therefore incur higher labour cost as well as materials/components...not to mention Mundorf caps etc. etc.!

But he did also confirm that they regarded the improvement in sound quality justifies the increased cost...and I can well believe it - these are not just minor 'tweaking', by any stretch of the imagination!

Plus, actual timing of the offer is also TBA...

Thanks H13...yeah, and there was I thinking I was nicely settled for quiet retirement with 001 Elise - should have known better!! [​IMG]

However, this has in fact fired me up out of my lethargy once more...but I find all this excitement is now much more tiring than it used to be lol! [​IMG] [​IMG]...be assured there will be plenty of updates!!..(no doubt these alterations will have unforeseen effects on different tubes used - hopefully always for the better!!).

3. HOWIE13

Lethargy! Never- I can't imagine you ever being lethargic, in spite of your name.[​IMG]

Nevertheless, if you should ever wish for a second opinion I would be glad to lend you my 'golden ears', [​IMG]

I quite fancy a few days at the Swan at Lavenham- it's years since I was last there and I still remember the four poster room where Matthew Hopkins, 'Witchfinder General', is said to have slept. [​IMG] 

WITCHFINDER1.0-500x500.jpg

4. Spork67
    It's a shame the special sockets aren't a stock part for all Elise, given the amp seems to be designed with tube rolling in mind - but I guess we have to look at the cost and the fact that the sockets may add to longevity, but not to sound quality.
    I wonder if the near future holds the choice of Elise or Elise 2 / uber / whatever - or (this would seem ideal to me) Base model Elise with various added cost options. As each one is hand built, I would imagine building each one to a specific specification wouldn't add too much to turnover time.

I might have to look at some socket savers - although I don't know if I'll change tubes all that often.

edit:
    I can't find socket savers for 6AS7G, but the power sockets look the same as the driver ones to me.
    Can I use the same (6SN7) socket savers for both?
    These ones?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-8pin-K8A-Testing-Tube-Socket-Saver-For-EL34-5881-6SN7-KT88-5Z3P-5AR4-274B-/201089492161?hash=item2ed1de24c1:g:lxwAAOSwujFXGED0

5. hypnos1

Hmmm...I should have thought there would be a good many vengeful Spirits haunting any spot where this monster laid his awful head LOL!! [​IMG]...

But Lavenham sure is a nice spot - a long ways from me, alas...perhaps you can pop your golden ears in the post?! [​IMG] [​IMG]...

Yo S67...I hear you loud and clear re. the sockets! But as you say...cost, including labour involved. Lukasz always said they went for electrical/soldering characteristics rather than for extensive tube rolling...they never realised we were such avid rollers LOL!!

Given these special sockets seem to be used in 'summit-fi' amps, I'm sure sound quality will also benefit...[​IMG]...

Good idea re. choice of added cost options...will see what Lukasz thinks of it...

And yes, 6AS7G pin-out is the same as for 6SN7...

6. sling5s
    I know Feliks Audio charges a default (European) shipping fee at check out but it was my impression that when they send an invoice for additional shipping fee (in my case to U.S) that its because it is ready to ship. So when last Friday I received an invoice for U.S shipping, I paid it expecting to get shipping information or notification that it has shipped. When I didn't, I emailed Feliks Audio, but got to reply. I sent another email but no reply of as of last Friday.  Kind of confused about the process and lack of communication. 

7. hypnos1

Hi sling5s.

Sorry to hear of your situation...don't know myself about additional shipping payment and readiness to ship I'm afraid, but I do know sometimes there can indeed be gaps in communication...often apparently down to their somewhat 'patchy' email client (eg. many emails have ended up in the SPAM folder BOTH ways lol!!)....to the point where after no word for some time a parcel suddenly appears on the horizon! [​IMG]

Hopefully you will get some idea of status fairly soon...keep up the emails, and check your spam folder LOL!!

8. sling5s
    I got just got an email saying it shipped. [​IMG] 

9. hypnos1

Great news sling...well, I did have fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you lol! [​IMG]. Now I shall hope for a safe, speedy journey...good things coming your way...CHEERS!...[​IMG]

10. sling5s

Thank you. [​IMG]

11. DecentLevi
    @sling5s I see you're in Southern Cali. If you're able to make a trip up to central / northern Cali on November 26th Saturday, you can enjoy my awesome 6-hr. local meet I'm setting up in San Jose. It's in the large community room of a library (my 2nd meet there), and there's guaranteed to be loads of unique and top notch member set-ups, such as the Woo Audio WA2 and my Elise amp which I will try both with my rare top-class driver / power tubes, along with other great novelty rigs such as Gracie M903 amp/DAC with Audio Technica ATH-R70x. Event link:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/824498/

12. sling5s

Thanks for the invite. Can't make it up there but it sounds fun. 

13. aqsw
    RIP - Leonard Cohen

14. connieflyer
    A musical genius to be sure, great talent and a voice to match

15. DecentLevi
    At first I didn't recognise his name, then after a little digging I realise I had three of his albums in a best-of Canadian compilation earlier this year which I deleted because I couldn't stand his style at all. I guess his style just may not be appealing to generation X or later.

OTOH, some of my favorite Canadian artists are Richie Hawtin (Plastikman), Sarah McLachlan - and and Nelly Furtado if it wasn't for the atrocious mastering, and I've recently discovered Rufus Wainwright and Tragically Hip

Plastikman - Kriket (1994)

Rufus Wainwright - April Fools (1998)

For those regions who can't see the above video, here's an alternate copy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2EQis2p3jo

First

Back
870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879
881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890
Next

Last