1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Oct 1, 2015.
First

Back
867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876
878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887
Next

Last
  1. hypnos1

Hi Quinto...well done on your choice of Elise - you won't be disappointed, I'm quite sure! [​IMG]

As @hpamdr said, those PsV's and Shuguangs do indeed look nice -  and I found my PsV CV181TIIs to be very good - but, as he also said, there are some old NOS tubes that are a good bit better for less money. Take your time, and do please try to read back through this and the other 2 threads to get an idea of just what might suit your own tastes...I know it's a tall order (they have been VERY busy threads lol!), but if you can spare the time, it will be well worth your while...

Best wishes, and hope to hear more of your progress soon...CHEERS!...CJ

2. Quinto

Thanks, we'll do [​IMG]

first have to sell some old stuff, my patience will be tested coming month [​IMG] 

good for character building lol

3. connieflyer
    Speaking of old tubes,  @UntilThen gave me a heads up on these two Raytheon tubes.  Ebay for only $20.00 plus $5.00 for shipping.  Tubes had been in a military signal generator that had not been used for forty years, and they work great.  The graphite plates are an unusual sight, well worth the gamble as to whether they would work or not.  Using with the EL3N and in my opinion, they are some of the best power tubes I have found so far.

20161023_110745.jpg

whirlwind likes this.
  4. HOWIE13
    It's also really nice you know the provenance of the tubes-must add to the enjoyment and appreciation of their great sound.

5. UntilThen
    I saw a site (not ebay) with a stash of graphite plates (similar to those in your photo) with the RCA brand the other day but I can't find it now. They are expensive at $100+ each but they are NOS NIB.

I find the Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite to be the tightest, most controlled sounding bass of all the power tubes I've heard. The thing that stood out most was the instruments separation. Notes are clear and precise. Width and depth of soundstage is also the best I've heard. It sounds great with all the drivers I've tried with it. 6SN7, EL3N, ECC31, etc. I'm loving this power tube.

Glad the 40 years old dinosaurs still works for you. [​IMG]

6. connieflyer
  7. Spork67
    Liking this sound a lot - but I don't know if it has any advantage over the TS 5998 / Visseaux 6N7G combo, and it sure doesn't look anywhere near as good.
    The 6 pack has more air and a bigger soundstage, but not sure if any other advantage over my fave combo (as above).
    Although the EL3N is a relatively "cheap" tube, by the time I bought 6 of them and the adapters they came close in cost to the TS / Viseaux too.
    Will try them gaming - should be awesome.

PA250003.jpg

edit: OK - forgot 4 of these were NOS. It's either the music I'm listening to, or they are improving rapidly with some burn-in.
    Will give them a week or so to settle in and see how I like them then.
    Early results are promising.

8. HOWIE13
    I like the 6N7 as drivers but find a drop in volume whenever I use them, whatever the power tubes they are paired with. It's quite marked, about 'two hours' on the volume knob.

Would be interested if anyone else has noticed this but I have not read anything about relatively lower volume with this tube type before. I've used RCA, K-R and Brimar 6N7GT and it's the same with them all.

I need to be around 11-12 o'clock for moderately loud listening, compared to 9-10 o'clock normally. Not a huge deal, just intrigued nobody else has mentioned this.

9. hypnos1

Yo S67, those babies need a VERY long time (well over 100hrs!) to really shine lol...[​IMG]...if I hadn't been patient when I first got these to work in Elise - thanks to @UntilThen's eye for a pretty tube!) -  they would now be consigned back to history and probably forgotten forever more!! [​IMG]...(actually, I had a nasty shock when I first heard my new "special", mesh-plated EL3NG - even though only in one channel, it sounded YUCK!!!...what the ****?!! But coming back to it a good bit later the difference was amazing...and it can only get MUCH better still...thank the Gods!! [​IMG]...

So I'm sure the 6-pack will eventually be much more to your liking...but of course, different gear/ears etc. etc.!!

By the way, how do you like the (burned in) EL3Ns with the 5998s?...

10. HOWIE13
    I prefer to buy well used EL3N's than new ones as they sound much more euphonic. Not saying new ones are not good- just that old used ones sound better to me.[​IMG]

11. UntilThen
    I do not get a lower gain with my Marconi 6N7 paired with Chatham 6520 or 5998. It's the same gain as I'd have with RCA 6N7GT. 6N7 sounded leaner.

12. Spork67
    I quite liked that combo. Very punchy and detailed, good soundstage. Initially it was almost too much of a good thing until my ears adjusted to it.
    Probably need to try it again when I have more hours on the EL3N drivers, my Visseaux tubes arrived not all that long after trying the EL3N - they looked much prettier so that's what I've been using for the last few weeks.

13. UntilThen
    You have pick up the obvious attributes of the 6 pack. Give it more burn in and you'll get more clarity and balance. 6 pack suits a more neutral headphone like the T1 G1.

Visseaux 6N7G and 5998 is one of the better sounding combo. 6 pack may not be necessary better but it's a different sonic signature. One that is intriguing.

14. HOWIE13
    Thanks UT.

Is the gain with your 6N7's as drivers the same as other tubes used as drivers eg your 6SN7's?

15. UntilThen
    It sounded similar to me compared with other 6SN7.

If you use 4xEL3N as power and you use 6SN7 or 6N7 there's a drop in gain.

First

Back
867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876
878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887
Next

Last