1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Oct 1, 2015.
First

Back
854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863
865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874
Next

Last
  1. HOWIE13

Yes that's the ones- £60 for the pair.

They are reading around 90% on my tester so probably not used much or maybe NOS.
    Will need to burn them in but very good initial impression. They sound a bit similar to 'Chrome Dome' but bigger sound stage and more bass presence. Less at the top but more prominent, richer mids.
    Should suit vocals a treat.
    I bought them 'cos you and others were so enthusiastic about them. Glad I did. [​IMG] 

2. hypnos1
    Thanks and Yo @connieflyer...logic certainly does seem to nail it - I will leave it to (brave!) others to argue the toss! [​IMG]...mind you, they do look much nicer LOL!! [​IMG] [​IMG]...

3. connieflyer
    Perhaps they should be mounted outside the chasis so they can be seen!!

4. hypnos1

I guarantee staring at it would raise the amp's delivery 2 notches at least, LOL!! [​IMG]...

5. UntilThen

That's a good price for the pair.

My initial impression of these drivers are that they sounded dry when I first heard them in my Darkvoice 336se. However since I got another to make it a pair, they hit it right on Elise, paired with 7236. Wider soundstage, prominent mids indeed and the bass surprised me. It's not overly strong but is more pronounced and tighter than the Chrome Dome.

There's will be better 6SN7s but these are certainly good sounding .... especially for their price.

I've been listening with my modded HD650. Perhaps it's time to try the T1 with these drivers and 7236.

6. UntilThen
    Right ... I just strapped on the T1. I hear so much more. [​IMG]

Modded HD650 is more warm and cosy but the T1 is so revealing and the soundstage.... [​IMG]

7. HOWIE13
    Exactly as I hear them. I think they will pair well with 7236 and 6080's as they will add a layer of richness and 'glow' to the sound.
    I think my AKG's will match nicely.
    It's the sound stage that took me by surprise. Possibly the widest 6SN7 I've heard, to date.
    Considering 'Chrome Domes' are very rare and cost an arm and a leg these Sylvania 6SN7WGT's are fantastic value just now.

8. UntilThen

Looks like we've the same ears after all. 

9. HOWIE13

I never doubted it. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. louisxiawei
    Hey HOWIE13,

Your reply just triggered a noob question from me. Should I buy a decent amp tube tester like Orange VT1000 Valve Testing Unit to test the tube I bought especially like GEC 6AS7G? What tester have you been using at the moment?

That tester I mention is really expensive!

11. UntilThen
    Unless you plan on getting a lot of tubes otherwise a tube tester is an expensive outlay. You have to buy from reputable sellers and trust their test results.

Of the many tubes that I have, only one TS 5998 turn out bad and it was a dodgy seller who was subsequently ban by eBay. I got my money refunded from eBay though.

12. HOWIE13

I would say spend your money on tubes and don't worry too much about your tubes' electrical performance unless, perhaps, you are regularly going to buy very expensive tubes.

Having said that, I use the tester whenever I buy a tube and have only sent back three or four over three years. Most you can tell if there' something wrong by the sound, and in a few instances the tube may have been advertised as 'NOS' and, having paid a premium for that, I found the tube only at say 60%, so I return it.
    Sellers don't generally argue if you have readings to present to them as I suspect some sellers make up the readings they quote. Others, to be fair, quote identical readings to mine.

Here's what I use. It only provides up to 200V anode voltage so I often use the tube's characteristic graphs to interpret my results. It can't do every type of tube either and only those whose current draw is less than 1A, but that's about 80% of my tubes anyway. It does therefore do 6DJ8/12AU7/ 6SN7 tubes but not 6AS7's.
    It was given to me as a gift and it's fun to use. It does let you match plate/ tube amplification.

http://www.britishaudiostore.com/tube-imp-mini-tube-tester/

louisxiawei likes this.
  13. frederick-rea
    Does anyone knows this regarding Philips?

14. Jozurr
    What tubes are considered the best for bass on the Elise? Has anyone made specific comparisons with regards to bass with various tubes?

15. Oskari

That's the same Austrian-made Philips many of us have, just Adzam-branded.

First

Back
854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863
865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874
Next

Last