Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Aug 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #12,781 of 13,846
  Thanks Howie,

Tyll's review on innerfidelity attracts my attention of the Icon Audio, since he even mentioned that it is great amp especially with T1. The Elise support from 30 - 600 ohm, but Icon Audio HP8 supports from 6 - 600 ohm, in a more wider range. Hereinafter is the measurement done by Tyll for Icon Audio.

Low setting - 451mW at 32 ohm, 720mW at 50 ohm, 667mW at 150 ohm
Mid setting - 735mW and 10.5Vrms at 150 ohm, 653mW and 14Vrms at 300 ohm
High setting - 403mW and 11Vrms at 300 ohm, 482mW and 17Vrms at 600 ohm

The only thing I feel a bit disappointed is that Icon Audio cannot be used as pre-amp like my Lehman amplifier so that can change my active speaker's sound a bit. I suppose Elise can used as pre-amp as described in the manual. 

Just talked to them on the phone, Icon Audio's HP8 is really more expensive than Elise. Amplifier itself cost £700. A Jensen capacitor upgrade costs me £125 more, plus the tube upgrade (£70). 

So again, I'm struggling. Shame that I don't have the time to go there and have a listen. But really like the neat design of Icon audio but shame of no pre-amp function. 

But again, shocking 852 pages of discussion really inflect the merit of the Elise compared to pity 27 pages of Icon audio discussion. 

So help me out guys!!!!

A lot of the discussion in the 852 pages is social in nature or involves music recommendations. But the strong dedication of Elise owners to sharing their experience with the amp and tube options I think speaks volumes about what a truly special amp the Elise is. I feel pretty confident in saying that if you do buy the Elise you will never look back.

As for output impedance, the comparison between the two amps is really irrelevant when it comes to something like the 600 ohm T1. I spent a lot of time with it and the Elise and it is a wonderful match - probably the headphone of choice among most here. The output impedance of the Elise is also irrelevant with my 300 ohm HD800S. In fact, Elise is fine with my 32 ohm HD598s.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #12,782 of 13,846
  Thanks Howie,

Tyll's review on innerfidelity attracts my attention of the Icon Audio, since he even mentioned that it is great amp especially with T1. The Elise support from 30 - 600 ohm, but Icon Audio HP8 supports from 6 - 600 ohm, in a more wider range. Hereinafter is the measurement done by Tyll for Icon Audio.

Low setting - 451mW at 32 ohm, 720mW at 50 ohm, 667mW at 150 ohm
Mid setting - 735mW and 10.5Vrms at 150 ohm, 653mW and 14Vrms at 300 ohm
High setting - 403mW and 11Vrms at 300 ohm, 482mW and 17Vrms at 600 ohm

The only thing I feel a bit disappointed is that Icon Audio cannot be used as pre-amp like my Lehman amplifier so that can change my active speaker's sound a bit. I suppose Elise can used as pre-amp as described in the manual. 

Just talked to them on the phone, Icon Audio's HP8 is really more expensive than Elise. Amplifier itself cost £700. A Jensen capacitor upgrade costs me £125 more, plus the tube upgrade (£70). 

So again, I'm struggling. Shame that I don't have the time to go there and have a listen. But really like the neat design of Icon audio but shame of no pre-amp function. 

But again, shocking 852 pages of discussion really inflect the merit of the Elise compared to pity 27 pages of Icon audio discussion. 

So help me out guys!!!!

852 pages-and that's only one of three threads!

Icon appears to have ample power.

All I can say is there are a lot of very happy Elise owners singing their amp's praises. It's also attracted good comments at gatherings. You also get a two year warranty from FA. Personally speaking I think one year is a bit mean of Icon Audio.

What's two weeks in a lifetime?

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #12,783 of 13,846
  A lot of the discussion in the 852 pages is social in nature or involves music recommendations. But the strong dedication of Elise owners to sharing their experience with the amp and tube options I think speaks volumes about what a truly special amp the Elise is. I feel pretty confident in saying that if you do buy the Elise you will never look back.

As for output impedance, the comparison between the two amps is really irrelevant when it comes to something like the 600 ohm T1. I spent a lot of time with it and the Elise and it is a wonderful match - probably the headphone of choice among most here. The output impedance of the Elise is also irrelevant with my 300 ohm HD800S. In fact, Elise is fine with my 32 ohm HD598s.

Thanks a lot, pctazhp,

I have to confess something in front of you. You are the reason I pay attention on Elise since the comments you made on T1.2 thread and the comparison between T1.2 and HD800S on Elise and now I just need FA's confirm that Elise can be used as pre-amp so that can amp my active speaker and tune its sound.Then I will place the order I think.

Moreover, your EL3N/ Tungsol 7236 combination for the T1 on your previous review, I hardly can see someone selling them online in UK. Where did you buy them?

Are you still using T1.2 or HD800S? I remember you want to keep the T1 but put the HD800S on sale, but now I see you using the HD800S again on your signature. :D

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #12,784 of 13,846

852 pages-and that's only one of three threads!

Icon appears to have ample power.

All I can say is there are a lot of very happy Elise owners singing their amp's praises. It's also attracted good comments at gatherings. You also get a two year warranty from FA. Personally speaking I think one year is a bit mean of Icon Audio.

What's two weeks in a lifetime?

Aye! I will place the order of Elise tomorrow. Period!

BTW, do you use Elise as pre-amplifier. I want to use it to amplify my active speaker (Ruark MR1) and tune its sound a bit through Elise. Does it function as pre-amp or it is just a signal loop?

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #12,785 of 13,846
  Thanks a lot, pctazhp,

I have to confess something in front of you. You are the reason I pay attention on Elise since the comments you made on T1.2 thread and the comparison between T1.2 and HD800S on Elise and now I just need FA's confirm that Elise can be used as pre-amp so that can amp my active speaker and tune its sound.Then I will place the order I think.

Moreover, your EL3N/ Tungsol 7236 combination for the T1 on your previous review, I hardly can see someone selling them online in UK. Where did you buy them?

Are you still using T1.2 or HD800S? I remember you want to keep the T1 but put the HD800S on sale, but now I see you using the HD800S again on your signature. :D

My Elise has pre-outs for pre-amp use.

I haven't used it as a pre-amp but others have. According to my manual it's implied there is a model that does not have pre-outs so you are right to check with FA.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #12,786 of 13,846

BTW, do you use Elise as pre-amplifier. I want to use it to amplify my active speaker (Ruark MR1) and tune its sound a bit through Elise. Does it function as pre-amp or it is just a signal loop?

LOL- I just answered about pre-amp use as you were typing this post! You have made a good choice. Just make sure you are not abroad when Elise arrives in Nottingham.
biggrin.gif

There are others who have used it as a pre-amp and I don't know how the circuit is set up. Someone else will probably answer your query but, if not, FA will anyway.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #12,787 of 13,846
  Thanks a lot, pctazhp,

Thanks so much for your nice words. With respect to the EL3Ns and TS7236 I bought both on Ebay, but that is a while back. @UntilThen may have an idea of current sources and I'm sure he will respond to you.

The choice between the S and the T1 Gen 2 was not easy to make. If it had been within my budget I would have kept both. There is a special emotional component to the T1 I still miss. But my final choice was based on which one suited my main listening style which is long term listening while I'm working or doing other things at the computer. The S is not as aggressive as the T1. If my main desire had been focused listening to recordings I would have chosen the T1. It is cleaner than the S and does something magical in the bass area that stirs the soul 
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #12,789 of 13,846
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
Quote:

Congratulations))) 

I want to clarify that my current drivers of choice are (A) the Sylvania 6SN7-WTBs, which are not always easy to find, but they still appear on Ebay - I think I paid about $150 a pair for mine, and (B) Fivre 6N7G = ECC31 black plates . "with Horn" anno 1942, which are almost impossible to find now. My favorite power tube is my Chatham 6AS7G but not sure how available it is. I like it better than my 5998s which are out of sight price wise now.   

The GEC 6as7g seem to be the ultimate power tube of choice but they are extremely expensive and almost impossible to find. And you can always try the Christmas Tree and Frankenstein approach to the power tube slots, but guys like @JazzVinyl and @DecentLevi will need to help you with that.

You have a lot to look forward to 
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #12,790 of 13,846

I don't know if this helps but when I listen with my headphones using the line out, the volume changes as I turn the volume control- and if I pull out a driver I lose the sound on that side, so I guess the line out signal does go through the tube circuit.

I can listen with headphones from the HO at the same time as using the 'line out'- just don't turn up the volume too much while using the 'line out' if you have left your headphones connected to the HO, otherwise your cans may be damaged.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #12,791 of 13,846
  Congratulations))) 

I want to clarify that my current drivers of choice are (A) the Sylvania 6SN7-WTBs, which are not always easy to find, but they still appear on Ebay - I think I paid about $150 a pair for mine, and (B) Fivre 6N7G = ECC31 black plates . "with Horn" anno 1942, which are almost impossible to find now. My favorite power tube is my Chatham 6AS7G but not sure how available it is. I like it better than my 5998s which are out of sight price wise now.   

The GEC 6as7g seem to be the ultimate power tube of choice but they are extremely expensive and almost impossible to find. And you can always try the Christmas Tree and Frankenstein approach to the power tube slots, but guys like @JazzVinyl and @DecentLevi will need to help you with that.

You have a lot to look forward to 
atsmile.gif

This seller has them- with 14 day return policy too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6AS7G-CV2523-GEC-NOS-PAIR-VALVE-TUBE-LC39-/311677641589?hash=item48916f6375:g:dtkAAOSw6n5Xsugi

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #12,792 of 13,846

I don't know if this helps but when I listen with my headphones using the line out, the volume changes as I turn the volume control- and if I pull out a driver I lose the sound on that side, so I guess the line out signal does go through the tube circuit.

I can listen with headphones from the HO at the same time as using the 'line out'- just don't turn up the volume too much while using the 'line out' if you have headphones connected to the HO, otherwise your cans may be damaged.

Interesting, so both the pre-amp out and HO will work parallelly. 

Don't think the Elise HO will damage my T1.2 by any means. Elise max power output: 200mW, T1.2 power handling capacity is 400mW. So plenty of safe space I think. But pre-amp line out might damage it.

Thanks for all, gents. I will just stay in Nottingham and wait for it patiently. You guys just start my tube amplifier journey. I will sell my Lehmann amplifier soon. Since then, I will start collecting tubes! :D. I might also consider buying the  psvane181 6sn7  tube drivers as FA recommends. 

Thanks again and will keep you update once I get them.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #12,793 of 13,846

Don't think the Elise HO will damage my T1.2 by any means. Elise max power output: 200mW, T1.2 power handling capacity is 400mW. So plenty of safe space I think. But pre-amp line out might damage it.

Thanks for all, gents. I will just stay in Nottingham and wait for it patiently. You guys just start my tube amplifier journey. I will sell my Lehmann amplifier soon. Since then, I will start collecting tubes! :D. I might also consider buying the  psvane181 6sn7  tube drivers as FA recommends. 

Looking forward to that.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #12,794 of 13,846

The CV181's are nice tubes- great lookers too. The version I have (it seems there are various grades) is pretty neutral and clean sounding to my ears. Not the most dynamic though.  Good value now, given the astronomical hike in prices of some other Octals recently.

These are the ones I have;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Shuguang-Treasure-Series-CV181-Z-Audio-Valve-Vacuum-Tube-for-Amplifier-/261595519004?hash=item3ce84ed81c:g:VX0AAOSwKtlWslVh

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #12,795 of 13,846

This seller has them- with 14 day return policy too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6AS7G-CV2523-GEC-NOS-PAIR-VALVE-TUBE-LC39-/311677641589?hash=item48916f6375:g:dtkAAOSw6n5Xsugi

That's as much as the amp itself. Please someone buy them quickly and save me from the temptation 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back