Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,991 of 11,833
By the way what magic does happen at 1500?

It'll be like manna from heaven but I'm not allowed to tell you more. :p

I can't even begin to describe my wild Saturday night on the town, filled with debauchery and hedonistic pleasure, so I won't even try. :evil:

Fortunately, I destroyed too many brain cells when I was younger to have any memories of those days. :gs1000smile:

I think I see a connection. :wink:

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,993 of 11,833
  A friend of mine just posted this on Facebook. It reminded me that I have posted it here before (I think on the other thread). I will post it here again as my Christmas greeting to all the wonderful people here and on the other thread who have enriched my life throughout the year. I wish all of us and our patient, loving families peace, prosperity and good health.

I too wish all this...and more!! You have all enriched my life beyond measure...
tongue.gif

@hypnos1, the wife/girlfriend approval factor is well know to many, I'm lucky to have a GF who has very similar taste in music, wine, food and outlook on life.

Lucky indeed must you be, D...music (esp. loud!) and wine apart, I too count myself fortunate lol!
wink_face.gif

@hypnos1 that is how I got into headphones so much was after my wife's (I had a few years before she did) retirement,it was not possible to monopolizes the system or play it loudly anymore. So the headphoes were a natural. Ended up with the Elise, and I think to do signifcanly better, I would have to spend more than I am willing to so unless things change this will be it (at least until the upgraded Elise is sorted out). Now alone, I do listen to speakers a lot more than before.

Even with @UntilThen's wise words still ringing in my ears, the more I ponder just how to move a step closer to loudspeaker sound via HPs, the more I am determined to at least see just what those Focal Utopias can do lol!
darthsmile.gif
...my (convenient/flawed?) logic being :

1. I truly believe the upgraded Elise will be capable of delivering even more than my T1s can reproduce, which would only really warrant taking a BIG step up in cans - anything else would be simply side-stepping, and for me, pointless (not to mention a real waste of money lol!).
2. The 'horrendous' price pales when comparing with certain 'speaker systems.
3. Said price is easily blown on just a half-decent fortnight holiday for two!
4. Hopefully, the build quality would ensure many trouble-free years' listening pleasure...albeit never guaranteed, of course!
5. A certain frisson that comes from using something extra special...
ksc75smile.gif

And so all above things considered, I may well just have sold myself completely on the idea LOL!!
eek.gif
wink_face.gif
...assuming they actually do give what I'm looking for, that is!...and that would need to be somewhat more of the feel that 'speakers give - ie. the latters' function of moving much greater volumes of air that you do indeed feel as part of the sound experience, and not just hear. By definition, relatively tiny transducers cannot ever match such a feat of course, but perhaps (current!) state-of-the-art technology just might be able to mimic the effect a bit better - I know, I know...clutching at straws here once again lol!
redface.gif
...pity a poor sinner!!
rolleyes.gif

6. ?????!!!!!

I assume I am one of the 2, and as number 2 of 2 is probably out on the town, living large on Saturday night, let me suggest that we include @hypnos1 in your new band, he will be a good man to have, we the stiff upper lip and all, especially if he plays the trumpet.@pctazhp number 2 of 2 has polished his kazoo, and I have the drum line down on the cigar box base, so we could use another horn.

Hmmm, cf....that stiff upper lip has now set like concrete alas! But I did pluck/strum a few guitar strings many moons ago a la Folk music lol...
biggrin.gif

Our reward will be a letter of commendation from our Leader In Chief, @UntilThen. Priceless )))

Fortunately, I destroyed too many brain cells when I was younger to have any memories of those days.
gs1000.gif

Letter of commendation, pct?...should be more the Croix de Guerre at least, surely lol?!!!
wink_face.gif
darthsmile.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,995 of 11,833
It's a chuckle everyday on Elise thread but I'll have to detach myself a little as I start on a new contract today. Take care guys and I might pop-in in the evening.

Be good and I'll give you any letter you need. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,997 of 11,833
Dec 11, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,998 of 11,833
@hypnos1 and others here, I applaud your interest in the Focal Utopia headphones. I have tried it several times on two separate occasions, and I must say it is without a doubt my favorite current-production headphone. This cutting edge beryllium driver headphone sounded about as detailed as the electrostatic Stax SR-009 but with better (spot-on) dynamics, and like the best medley between the Stax and the dynamic driver HD-800.

And though I haven't been much into speaker systems, the most expensive I've heard was somewhere in the ballpark of a $20-30k, and IIRC the Utopia sounded far more preferable to me. In case anyone missed it, here is a link to my impressions of the new Holo Audio Spring R2R / multibit DAC, done largely with the Focal Utopia headphones - in which I coined the word 'Awe'stonishing and got the chills all over my body... that is, paired with the GSX MK2 amp which outputs 20x more power at approx. 4 watts as opposed to Elise's 200ohms. I did find the Focal Utopia's pairing far better with beefier amps than the twice I've tried it with my Elise, but being the Utopia's are efficient @ only 80 ohms, perhaps the upgraded Elise could really be a fantastic pairing nevertheless.

Also I'm curious if the new Elise is going to have increased output wattage?

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,999 of 11,833

David:  I haven't told you this in a while, but you remain my hero. In my next life, I want to come back as you. Any chance you'll be buying a Blue Hawaii and have it burned in for me????
o2smile.gif

Sorry, I don't think I'll spend anymore on my Stax system since I like it a lot as is, also, don't have the table space for something that large, lol.

By the way what magic does happen at 1500? Do we get an award like a cash award that we could buy the new Elite Four or perhaps they just give us one for free if that's the case I am all in. And I knew you would have an exciting night out with all the debauchery and other things that people do that are normal and younger.

You get to be known as someone who has too much free time giving out great advice and are still enjoying life with nights of debauchery thrown in every now and then
biggrin.gif

PS: forgot the great music recommendations from you and everyone else here.

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #4,000 of 11,833
Youre one lucky guy David:) Its like a perfect women you have!

@hypnos1,

Been married and divorced twice and had quite a few girlfriends over the years to find the current one, and I do consider myself quite fortunate to have her, I just can't have her see this post
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #4,001 of 11,833
Wow, fantastic, finally after all these years I get to enjoy debauchery. By the way, what is that anyways?
Sorry, I don't think I'll spend anymore on my Stax system since I like it a lot as is, also, don't have the table space for something that large, lol.

You get to be known as someone who has too much free time giving out great advice and are still enjoying life with nights of debauchery thrown in every now and then :D  

PS: forgot the great music recommendations from you and everyone else here.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #4,003 of 11,833
Wow, fantastic, finally after all these years I get to enjoy debauchery. By the way, what is that anyways?

debauchery:
excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures; intemperance.

I used to be more into that in my 20's, but didn't know the formal word for it. Come to think of it, debauchery also comes into 'play' with excess money so it can be for anyone

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #4,004 of 11,833
  debauchery:
excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures; intemperance.

I used to be more into that in my 20's, but didn't know the formal word for it. Come to think of it, debauchery also comes into 'play' with excess money so it can be for anyone

You mean kind of like this
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,005 of 11,833
  It's a chuckle everyday on Elise thread but I'll have to detach myself a little as I start on a new contract today. Take care guys and I might pop-in in the evening.

Be good and I'll give you any letter you need. 
biggrin.gif

Can I entice you back if I promise NOT to keep posting fine classics as this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back