Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 12, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #2,911 of 11,833
Hi UT,

The Monks need to burn in. The owner of the company, Wild (I am not making it up) Lee, claims that they really come into their own after 1500(!) hours. BTW, he is one of the few manufacturers that will answer questions personally, so you can always ask him directly. The email address is on that little card that came with them.

As for the stock Svetlana power tubes, I agree with hypnos1. They are good, but there are better ones.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,912 of 11,833
  Hi UT,

The Monks need to burn in. The owner of the company, Wild (I am not making it up) Lee, claims that they really come into their own after 1500(!) hours. BTW, he is one of the few manufacturers that will answer questions personally, so you can always ask him directly. The email address is on that little card that came with them.

As for the stock Svetlana power tubes, I agree with hypnos1. They are good, but there are better ones.

The other Bandit have arrived but I'm busy atm. Have been trying out the Monk and solitary Bendix for a short while last night. Some surprises there and good surprises. When I get back I'll have a good listen to the pair of Bendix and they are both slotted. One with copper rods and the other steel but both in excellent condition.

The RCA 6080s still haven't arrived but I'm in no hurry.

Absolutely with you regarding the Svetlana 6H13C. There are better ones easily.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,913 of 11,833
  @DecentLevi

Those 6H13C are my stock tube and they are good. They have a big sound stage and made a good impression when I first played Elise. For some music though I needed more detail in the upper mid and treble, with more cohesion, and that's where the rolling came in. I think where I felt they lacked a little was in Baroque instrumental music, where I wanted to hear the individual lines of several instruments, playing simultaneously, very clearly. Mids, bass and soundstage no problem though.. There is also a 6H5C tube which looks and sounds somewhat similar.

It also strikes me that we listen to the stock tubes when our amp first arrives and soon move on to try other tubes. Maybe we underestimate the stocks for the very reason we are listening to them before the amp has truly burned in and then tend to forget about them in our eagerness to try new tubes.-just my philosophical thought for today.

I'll have another listen with them.

@UntilThen    Do hope you enjoy the records!

Thought this was worth quoting. Yup, those stock-ish 6H13C power tubes are the real deal. Sounds stellar and immaculate. Full bodied, expansive and very lifelike. Just did a brief comparison (using the same two well mastered, lossless test tracks of two genres) of this to the RCA 6AS7G's, Mullard 6080 and Rebranded Bendix - the Bendix sounded slow / flat, Mullards thin / sweet, and RCA's thin / euphonic, but to my ears, the former shined with authority and energy to 'move a small mountain'. Good points folks - either the stock tubes sound that much better after amp burn-in, or maybe mine are somehow different than stock (still waiting to confirm that).

Also I see there may have been some misconceptions over my posts of upgrades to my chain. I have not used the word "drastic" to describe my recent improvements, and surely I haven't used the word "astronomical". I have only been doing my best to make use of the English language to describe moreso what is a pleasing sound, rather than being such a massive step up from the last chain. Any steps up the audio ladder have been more incremental steps rather than leaps and bounds... but comparing the bottom to the top step is where you see something akin to an astronomical step.

Also @Lord Raven congrats on the incoming GEC 6AS7G's! We'd enjoy some photos after receiving too!

PS- I am also not saying there are not better power tubes out there, just than what I've tried

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #2,914 of 11,833

Have to admit to being somewhat bemused by recent 6H13C (6N13S) raving...yes, they are indeed very good and exceptional value-for-money. But far too many aficianados agree that they are not top tier by any means
biggrin.gif

You nail it. Spot on. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,916 of 11,833
  i wonder how UT is faring with the slotted bendix?  that was some fast delivery.

Stunning sound from the pair of Bendix 6080wb with Sylvania 6SN7wgt as well as EL3N. Can't stop playing song after song. Review will have to come much later. Just having too much fun now.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,917 of 11,833
  Thanks Howie. The LPs are in immaculate condition. No scratch and gleaming black vinyl. Only one of the box shows sign of wear and tear. 6 box sets for $40 is good value. Now to spend time listening to it.

I'm looking forward to that. Karajan recorded several Beethoven Symphony series during his long career. They were all excellent.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,918 of 11,833
Enjoyed a nice dawn on the Norwegian Fjords this morning listening to Grieg's Lyric Pieces.  D1050, 6 pack, HE400. What a peach of a combination for solo piano. Stunning sound. I've listened to this CD many times before but was never able to appreciate before the richness of colour in Grieg's harmonies. Here's a short example for anyone not familiar with Grieg.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,919 of 11,833
  Stunning sound from the pair of Bendix 6080wb with Sylvania 6SN7wgt as well as EL3N. Can't stop playing song after song. Review will have to come much later. Just having too much fun now.

haha ... excellent.  now you can start hunting for an original arnold: english, scottish, cornish dances on lyrita label.  <edit> how many $$$$ ??

another vinyl treasure is john renbourn's Sir John A Lot (Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng & Ye Grene Knyghte) ... i bought the windham hill re-release in the late 80s but the original pressing on transatlantic (1968) should be great too.  have a listen:

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,920 of 11,833
  Enjoyed a nice dawn on the Norwegian Fjords this morning listening to Grieg's Lyric Pieces.  D1050, 6 pack, HE400. What a peach of a combination for solo piano. Stunning sound. I've listened to this CD many times before but was never able to appreciate before the richness of colour in Grieg's harmonies. Here's a short example for anyone not familiar with Grieg.

Sounds great on my Bendix 6080wb and Valvo C3Gs with T1. Excellent choice of music.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #2,921 of 11,833

another vinyl treasure is john renbourn's Sir John A Lot (Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng & Ye Grene Knyghte) ... i bought the windham hill re-release in the late 80s but the original pressing on transatlantic (1968) should be great too.  have a listen:

Did he copy Sir Lance A Lot. 
biggrin.gif
 This is great though. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #2,922 of 11,833
  No one believed in me when I ran stock tubes for good 6 months and did not believe in tube rolling :p LOL

I think, with this revelation, new buyers shouldn't worry about expensive tube rolling at all. However, I will always back up Chatham 6AS7G, and EL3N love. My all time favorite sounding tubes.

GEC 6AS7G is on its way, and I am up for a surprise :D

Yipee LR...but you need two, mon ami...another one on the cards perhaps?!!
biggrin.gif
...(hope so
wink_face.gif
...)....ENJOY!!...

ps. Whatever happened to your Geek Pulse lol?

Normally prefer his orchestral work, but this is indeed lovely...and first time I've heard this pianist - she's GOOD!

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #2,923 of 11,833
Did he copy Sir Lance A Lot. :D  This is great though. 
Hey guys, i want to know more about tubes (specifically intrested about tubes which have more presence range and little less lower mids, with tight bass. Got my Sennheiser HD800S and i feel that my A20 have far too much lower mids for it and not tight bass and dip in upper mids. Mids simply have no bite at all... Is there any tubes for Elise which can cure my A20 shortcomings? Dont like muffled presence range. Thanks. And by the way, how upgraded tubes from Feliks Audio Website sound? Thanks a lot:).

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #2,925 of 11,833
Hey guys, i want to know more about tubes (specifically intrested about tubes which have more presence range and little less lower mids, with tight bass. Got my Sennheiser HD800S and i feel that my A20 have far too much lower mids for it and not tight bass and dip in upper mids. Mids simply have no bite at all... Is there any tubes for Elise which can cure my A20 shortcomings? Dont like muffled presence range. Thanks. And by the way, how upgraded tubes from Feliks Audio Website sound? Thanks a lot:).

I'll point you to the person here with a HD800s > @pctazhp  
biggrin.gif

He's happy with EL3N and GEC 6080.

Power tubes with a tight bass are 7236 and Bendix 6080wb. More so the Bendix with a clear sounding 6SN7 or C3g.

Don't know about upgraded tubes. That's only the drivers that is upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back