Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,866 of 11,833

Hahaha :D You will eventually get a hold of Osram, you know that. Mickey mouse is going to burn in over night, let's see if it can withstand the pain :p Otherwise, it will be my Mobile Joy!

I think you better get ready to make it your Mobile Joy. Elise is infallible. If Mickey doesn't play well with Alice he is obviously a seriously flawed mouse 
L3000.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,867 of 11,833
  I think you better get ready to make it your Mobile Joy. Elise is infallible. If Mickey doesn't play well with Alice he is obviously a seriously flawed mouse

I told him to get NAD d1050 but he wouldn't listen. It can even do balance mode.

Peter Pialis in his review use the NAD with HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 and Sennheiser HD800s and said  'I was quite happy with the resulting experience. The NAD D1050 offered an outstandingly clear performance that was free of any blurring together of the individual players'

Further he use the NAD with Stax SR-009 / Liquid Lightning 2 (LL2) and proclaimed that 'the D1050 was able to keep up with this very demanding setup.'

@louisxiawei now you know why I didn't upgrade my NAD. 
beyersmile.png

http://headphone.guru/nad-d1050-review/

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #2,868 of 11,833
Mojo needs about 100 hours of burn in to reach a sweet spot and as for working with Elise, I've had no issue with the sound, using a few different tube combos but mainly 6 pack.

One thing you might do, which I find opens up the sound even more, is to connect each output to a separate Elise channel, but it still sounds great just conventonally connected.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #2,869 of 11,833

Hi FR,

Are you sure the Sylvania tube died? If it has a white coating on the glass it lost the vacuum and is dead, but in my experience tubes that suddenly don't work may only need a cleaning of the pins to come back to life.

Really no white coat on top (clear) I can´t see nothing on the base and meddle glass because they are coated (grey and silver). I will try another time to clean those pins again. Thank you

After a good cleaning Sylvania is OK. Thank you mordy

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,870 of 11,833
Where did you get that (hi)story? The ECC88/6DJ8 is a later type than those so-called 12-volt tubes (with which you can use both 6 and 12 V heating).

good question ... i could have sworn this is what i remember from my readings of tube history ... oh well, as roseanne roseannadanna used to say ... nevermind ...

but i do like my raytheon 5751 ... a lot.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #2,871 of 11,833
  After reading the article from JACMusic about fake tubes I am a little apprehensive: Is this the real deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-G-E-C-CV2984-6080WA-6AS7G-NOS-NIB-same-Date-Code-/391585396416?hash=item5b2c4ef6c0:g:ctYAAOSwLnBX9hrk

s-l1600.jpg

It's a good price for a fake. 
biggrin.gif

is it real or is it memorex ---- is it real or is it g.e.c.?   if it's fake, then it is bloody good job.  but there is something about the printing on the box end flaps ... need to check with a known, real box.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,872 of 11,833
Feedback on the seller is positive, ebayer since 2008, 778 positive 2 neutral and 2 negative.  BId up to $41 now. 9 bids, interesting to see where this goes, and if they are real

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,873 of 11,833
Hi F-R,

Happy to hear that it worked! I had a tube that stopped working and I was going to throw it away - it was sitting there for a year and a half. One day it fell into my mind to scrape the pins with a pocket knife and voila: it worked fine again, so I learned my lesson.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,874 of 11,833
Hi g49,

Read the second paragraph - JACMusic mentions a seller in Switzerland:

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/

These GECs are sold from a seller in Switzerland but I have no idea if it is the same one or not.

Caveat Emptor

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,876 of 11,833
  Hi g49,

Read the second paragraph - JACMusic mentions a seller in Switzerland:

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/

These GECs are sold from a seller in Switzerland but I have no idea if it is the same one or not.

Caveat Emptor

caveat emptor, indeed.   he also has this listing, which also causes the neck hairs to bristle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Philips-ECC82-12AU7-NOS-NIB-Disc-Getter-/391582847647?hash=item5b2c28129f:g:nC4AAOSwzaJX82hp

(any time i see or read disc getters, my initial thoughts are russky or east european origin)

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,879 of 11,833

@louisxiawei now you know why I didn't upgrade my NAD. 
beyersmile.png

http://headphone.guru/nad-d1050-review/

Haha, I read that review before. I almost read every review on the internet of NAD 1050 and ARCAM irDAC. I was struggling buying the best DAC below £800 before. Tough decision between Arcam irDAC and NAD 1050. Eventually pick the irDAC.

I had an audition of both of them with Lehmann linear amplifier. Personally, I think NAD 1050 colours the music too much compared to ARCAM irDAC. Although balanced mode seems to be appealing, but the addition of headphone amplifier just pushed me away. 

I just want a serious pure DAC, any DAC with headphone amplifier is not serious for me. So DAC like Mytek Brooklyn is a toy with lots of other functions and a fancy display instead of a serious DAC in my opinion, even dac like £8000 Chord DAVE is not serious for me as well 
very_evil_smiley.gif

No integrated hp amp in the DAC please. I just need my Elise as amp and leave her alone.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,880 of 11,833

After reading the article from JACMusic about fake tubes I am a little apprehensive: Is this the real deal?

is it real or is it memorex ---- is it real or is it g.e.c.?   if it's fake, then it is bloody good job.  but there is something about the printing on the box end flaps ... need to check with a known, real box.

IF those are fake, they are fecking awesome as such. The sticker in the silkscreened box does annoy me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back