Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 9, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,836 of 11,833
It's a major outage with no eta. Fortunately I've my 1TB of music and the vinyls.

I'm listening to Blue Dream by Fiona Joy Hawkins.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,837 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Four years ago hurricane Sandy hit this area and tens of thousands of trees fell down and knocked out power - we were without electricity for 8 days. Worse than not having heat and not being able to drive because of blocked streets was the acute internet withdrawal.....I know how it feels.

Re the Monk earbuds - are they Gen 2?

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,838 of 11,833
Still without internet. Gale wind swept through Victoria last night. Many homes without power so internet isn't that important in this situation.

I don't know if it's Gen. 2.

I had ATH-IM50 before but couldn't get use to the over ear cable and exchange it for ATH-M50. Both had nice solid bass and a rich midrange. Nice to listen with for non critical listening.
Eventually sold the M50 because the fit is terrible.

I don't expect too much from a earbud. Might compare it with my Samsung earbud. :)

Using Fiio X5, Ipod Classic and my S7 Edge as source.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,839 of 11,833
Visseaux drivers from 1956 are teamed with TS 5998s of a similar vintage.
They sound as good as they look.
Not quite as dynamic or as large a sound stage as the EL3N, but at least with some tracks a touch more musical - and sound stage and dynamics still more than adequate.
Thanks again for your advice @UntilThen

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2,840 of 11,833
Still without internet. Gale wind swept through Victoria last night. Many homes without power so internet isn't that important in this situation.

I had ATH-IM50 before but couldn't get use to the over ear cable and exchange it for ATH-M50. Both had nice solid bass and a rich midrange. Nice to listen with for non critical listening.

I don't expect too much from a earbud. Might compare it with my Samsung earbud. :)

Better to lose the Monks when your Edge explodes than your T1 
dt880smile.png

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,841 of 11,833
Revisiting 6F8G drivers with 4 EL3N like powers. Maybe better to my ears than full ELN3 with Audeze LCD-XC. I would like to know opinions of the RCA, Sylvania and Tung Sol different brands regarding soundstage and deeper (high and low)

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,842 of 11,833
  Revisiting 6F8G drivers with 4 EL3N like powers. Maybe better to my ears than full ELN3 with Audeze LCD-XC. I would like to know opinions of the RCA, Sylvania and Tung Sol different brands regarding soundstage and deeper (high and low)

I can't really comment on the 6F8G and I don't do much tube rolling anymore. I have a lot of different drivers that are often mentioned here, but most of them just gather dust now. My Sylvania 6SN7-WGTs are wonderful with my 5998 powers. Great soundstage and wonderfully balanced FR from bottom to top (with a little sparkle on top that is icing on the cake). However, they do not match well with my GEC 6080s. Sterile and uninviting.

On the other hand, EL3Ns driving the GECs is pure heaven. I'm sure others will have more complete responses to you question.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,843 of 11,833
Thank you for your opinion pctazhp. Me too, I leave furious rolling. I bought one pair of GEC's and I found (with my ears, with my setup, EAD DAC and Audeze LCD-XC) that with the highs I have some kind of metallic sparkles specially with female voices such as Lucinda Williams in her last double CD (Feb 2016). I am trying to control those highs and make them more analogique

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,844 of 11,833
  Thank you for your opinion pctazhp. Me too, I leave furious rolling. I bought one pair of GEC's and I found (with my ears, with my setup, EAD DAC and Audeze LCD-XC) that with the highs I have some kind of metallic sparkles specially with female voices such as Lucinda Williams in her last double CD (Feb 2016). I am trying to control those highs and make them more analogique

I'm using RCA black flat plate 6F8G tubes as drivers with 4 EL3N's and the set -up sounds very good to my ears. Generous sound-stage, warm sounding but plenty detail and no problems with over-brightness with female vocals. No microphonics. Using Mimby DAC and AKG 702,712; X2 and HD650. 

I think comparisons between the various makers of these tubes, as you request, will be difficult as there are several different versions. For instance, there are round and rectangular micas and black and grey flat and round plates. I don't think anyone has looked at them in any detail with Elise as far as I am aware- though they are on FA's approved list of drivers.

You may just have to buy some and try for yourself.

This seller is offering EI 6F8G tubes, which are RCA re-brands, at a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272311760962?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,845 of 11,833
  Hi UT,

Re the Monk earbuds - are they Gen 2?

these are monk plus.  i hated them when i first put them on --- thought they sounded awful --- but then next day, the monk appeared.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,846 of 11,833
I asked because I am using 2 RCA 6F8G as drivers and 2 + 2 EL3N as powers and (for me) the sound is more intimate but with enormous much detail better and soundstage (try Chesky Binaural Amber Rubarth - I'm in heaven) than with the 2 + 4 EL3N. I also have a pair of Sylvanias, but one of them died today and do not know if I repeat or go to another brand

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,847 of 11,833
  Hey all, no news from me today. Just a question. Can anyone recommend a good small tube such as 68NP or 6DJ8? I'm interested to find a small driver tube that is extra clear & clean sounding with tight dynamics. (besides C3G / 6SN7). Then I'll still need to order an adapter too. Thanks!

might i proffer pcc88 (if you can find at a reasonable price).  7v tube but it works fine in 6v applications.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,848 of 11,833
Hi FR,

Are you sure the Sylvania tube died? If it has a white coating on the glass it lost the vacuum and is dead, but in my experience tubes that suddenly don't work may only need a cleaning of the pins to come back to life.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,850 of 11,833
  Better to lose the Monks when your Edge explodes than your T1 
dt880smile.png

My internet is back and fast at a 114mbps.

Poor Samsung. They took a bad hit with exploding Note 7. I brought in a nearly new Note 4 but with a crack screen to the Samsung dealer for repair.  The next day I got a message saying that they will replace it with a S7 ... for free. So hang on to your exploding phones. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back