Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,776 of 11,833
  I've spent a few hours with TS 5998, EL3N and the T1 combination now.
It's bordering on too much good!
Massive amounts of detail, amazingly dynamic and energetic - need to be careful with the volume for some music that has sudden loud bits.
I'm really enjoying this combination - but thinking I will need to spend some time with slightly more laid back tubes too, especially for longer listening sessions.
The EL3Ns will be my go-to for gaming I with the massive and accurate sound stage they bring to the party.

I'll have to try the TH-X00s with these tubes too - could work really well as they are a touch warmer than the beyers.

You can turn it around and see how it goes.

Stock drivers with 5998.
EL3N with stock powers.

When you get the Visseaux 6N7G, try it with 5998 and stock powers.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2,777 of 11,833
  Got my new EL3N and 7236 tubes and hear buzzing again from 12 o'clock and up. Is that normal for new tubes while they're breaking in?

I didn't do the 12 o'clock and up test for every new tubes but now they are all quiet. 

Did you buy the new Cetron 7236? They are lovely tubes. Great tone. Pairs beautifully with EL3N.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,778 of 11,833
  I didn't do the 12 o'clock and up test for every new tubes but now they are all quiet. 

Did you buy the new Cetron 7236? They are lovely tubes. Great tone. Pairs beautifully with EL3N.

Yes I have the Cetron 7236 and Philips EL3N. I'll try burning them in for more hours or taking the tubes out and putting them back in or just moving the amp around and see if it helps get rid of the buzzing.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,779 of 11,833
  Yes I have the Cetron 7236 and Philips EL3N. I'll try burning them in for more hours or taking the tubes out and putting them back in or just moving the amp around and see if it helps get rid of the buzzing.

Yeah let the tubes burn in.

You will find that stock drivers and 7236 produce a great tone too. Try it.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,780 of 11,833

Stock drivers with 5998.
EL3N with stock powers.

I tried the 5998's with the stock drivers and it sounded very good.
Adding the EL3N made more good! Biggest difference was the size of the sound stage seemingly doubling, but they also brought even more dynamism and punch to an already energetic sound.
My ears are likelty still adjusting to the T1's a bit too, and they are a more energetic and punchy sound than the TH-X00s were.

Haven't tried the EL3N with the stock drivers or with the 6080s - yet.
Hoping the Visseaux and the 5998s work well together - they would possibly be the most aesthetically pleasing combination of tubes I'll own.

Also ordered a second 2 x EL3N into 6AS7G adapter - already had one (bought "accidentally" thinking it was 2 single adapters), and will order 4 more EL3N so I can try the "six pack" out.

My plan of "just get one good pair of drivers and one good pair of powers" isn't really working very well... 

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,781 of 11,833

My plan of "just get one good pair of drivers and one good pair of powers" isn't really working very well... 

No that's not how it pans out for all of us. 
biggrin.gif

Visseaux 6N7G and 5998 is one sweet ecstasy inducing combo.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,782 of 11,833

Stock drivers with 5998.
EL3N with stock powers.

I tried the 5998's with the stock drivers and it sounded very good.
Adding the EL3N made more good! Biggest difference was the size of the sound stage seemingly doubling, but they also brought even more dynamism and punch to an already energetic sound.
My ears are likelty still adjusting to the T1's a bit too, and they are a more energetic and punchy sound than the TH-X00s were.

Haven't tried the EL3N with the stock drivers or with the 6080s - yet.
Hoping the Visseaux and the 5998s work well together - they would possibly be the most aesthetically pleasing combination of tubes I'll own.

Also ordered a second 2 x EL3N into 6AS7G adapter - already had one (bought "accidentally" thinking it was 2 single adapters), and will order 4 more EL3N so I can try the "six pack" out.

Ha ha......lock up your wallet  
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,785 of 11,833

Ha ha......lock up your wallet  
tongue.gif

Yo WW, how's the ZMF Omni? I think it will be perfect for Pavarotti. 
etysmile.gif

Hey UT.

It is a really fun headphone and completely different from anything that I own.

The bass has some nice weight to it and the sound stage is much larger than I was anticipating for an 85% closed headphone.

Zach has done a wonderful job in tuning them.

Did not roll any tubes for the first week  6336B powers and C3g drivers....I have just rolled for the first time this morning....just been enjoying the music.

Listening to some Robert Cray at the moment.....Shame + A Sin album

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,786 of 11,833
In my opinion, this is an absolute steal (particularly for anyone using EL3Ns for drivers) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-6080-CV8614-NOS-BRITISH-PAIR-NEW-OLD-STOCK-TESTED-BOXED-VINTAGE-VALVES-TUBES-/172361976996?hash=item2821930ca4:g:WNgAAOSw8gVX8ac8

The EL3N/GEC6080 combo is by a considerable measure the best combo I have ever used in the Elise. As I have said before it simply gets everything right - organic. I'm very tempted to buy this pair as a backup, but these tubes are rare and I don't want to be a hog. If someone doesn't buy these in the next day or two I probably will buy them myself.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,787 of 11,833
  In my opinion, this is an absolute steal (particularly for anyone using EL3Ns for drivers) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-6080-CV8614-NOS-BRITISH-PAIR-NEW-OLD-STOCK-TESTED-BOXED-VINTAGE-VALVES-TUBES-/172361976996?hash=item2821930ca4:g:WNgAAOSw8gVX8ac8

The EL3N/GEC6080 combo is by a considerable measure the best combo I have ever used in the Elise. As I have said before it simply gets everything right - organic. I'm very tempted to buy this pair as a backup, but these tubes are rare and I don't want to be a hog. If someone doesn't buy these in the next day or two I probably will buy them myself.

Any similarities between the GEC 6080 and 7236? 

I have a hunch that the GEC 6080 and Bendix 6080wb share some common traits but I can't be sure as I have not heard both.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,788 of 11,833
  Any similarities between the GEC 6080 and 7236? 

I have a hunch that the GEC 6080 and Bendix 6080wb share some common traits but I can't be sure as I have not heard both.

I haven't listened to my 7236s in a long time, but I would say not much similarity. By comparison the 7236 is more "electronic" and "analytic". Also don't know about the Bendix. I do know there is very little similarity between my Mullard 6080s and the GECs.

If you decide to buy this pair of GECs and don't like them, I'll buy them from you at your cost.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #2,789 of 11,833
  I've now come to the last of the LPs you send me.

The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields is totally new to me but I've just learned that they are a English Chamber Orchestra based in London. Here in this album we have:-
Side 1 
George Frideric Handel Concerto Grosso in G Major Op. 6 No. 1 and 4
Side 2
Anotonio Vivaldi Concerto in B Minor for Four Violins Op. 3
Georg Philipp Telemann Viola Concerto in G Major.

I've just learned that the conductor Sir Neville Marriner passed away on the 2nd Oct 2016 at aged 92.

I sat mesmerised and found myself really enjoying this album. Beautiful.

there are 100s of academy recordings with sir neville marriner --- all of them sound very good, some of them are astounding ..  on the argo label.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,790 of 11,833
  I haven't listened to my 7236s in a long time, but I would say not much similarity. By comparison the 7236 is more "electronic" and "analytic". Also don't know about the Bendix. I do know there is very little similarity between my Mullard 6080s and the GECs.

If you decide to buy this pair of GECs and don't like them, I'll buy them from you at your cost.

I have to pass on it for others to try.
tongue.gif
 4 RCA 6080s and 2 Bendix 6080wb are on their way plus I'm really enjoying the tones from the tubes I've so far.

...and last night I've just bought 6 vinyl classical box sets of Beethoven's 9 symphonies, Bach, Elgar, Chopin, Mendelsson and Frans Bruggen after Howie gave the green light to ahead. 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back