Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 7, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,761 of 11,833
Nothing like attending a live show and you have attended many with front row seats. Almost forgot about 3M but now I recall Scotch brand tapes and Post It notes. Of course the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing company has a lot more products than that. They are a big American multinational conglomerate corporation.

You read my mind pretty well. Loving all these vinyls.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,762 of 11,833
Glad you are enjoying them.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,763 of 11,833
Maybe you would enjoy seeing where our property in Tennessee was.  If you look down in the valley on the right handside of the large part of the lake, you can just make out Sue waving up at you!

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,764 of 11,833
I can't see her waving. 
tongue.gif

That's a lovely view. Perfect spot to compose some sonatas. Is that the Tennessee River? Here's the map. I want to visit you and pretend I'm Davy Crockett. He's from East Tennessee.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,765 of 11,833
That is Cherokee Lake, and Davy Crocket's saloon is in the town of Morristown down by the lake.  Walked in and was very surprised at how low the ceiling was.  That would be east of Knoxville about 40 miles on I-40

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,766 of 11,833
I've now come to the last of the LPs you send me.

The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields is totally new to me but I've just learned that they are a English Chamber Orchestra based in London. Here in this album we have:-
Side 1 
George Frideric Handel Concerto Grosso in G Major Op. 6 No. 1 and 4
Side 2
Anotonio Vivaldi Concerto in B Minor for Four Violins Op. 3
Georg Philipp Telemann Viola Concerto in G Major.

I've just learned that the conductor Sir Neville Marriner passed away on the 2nd Oct 2016 at aged 92.

I sat mesmerised and found myself really enjoying this album. Beautiful.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,767 of 11,833
  I've now come to the last of the LPs you send me.

The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields is totally new to me but I've just learned that they are a English Chamber Orchestra based in London. Here in this album we have:-
Side 1 
George Frideric Handel Concerto Grosso in G Major Op. 6 No. 1 and 4
Side 2
Anotonio Vivaldi Concerto in B Minor for Four Violins Op. 3
Georg Philipp Telemann Viola Concerto in G Major.

I've just learned that the conductor Sir Neville Marriner passed away on the 2nd Oct 2016 at aged 92.

I sat mesmerised and found myself really enjoying this album. Beautiful.

No visit to London would be complete for any music lover without a visit to St Martin in the Fields to attend a candlelight concert. Memorable experience. Hope you like this:

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,768 of 11,833
I've spent a few hours with TS 5998, EL3N and the T1 combination now.
It's bordering on too much good!
Massive amounts of detail, amazingly dynamic and energetic - need to be careful with the volume for some music that has sudden loud bits.
I'm really enjoying this combination - but thinking I will need to spend some time with slightly more laid back tubes too, especially for longer listening sessions.
The EL3Ns will be my go-to for gaming I with the massive and accurate sound stage they bring to the party.

I'll have to try the TH-X00s with these tubes too - could work really well as they are a touch warmer than the beyers.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,769 of 11,833
DACs
For those in the R2R discussion, I've owned both the Mimby and the Bimby, and here's a link to compilation of my impressions showing big differences. 
wink.gif

New tubes today
Incoming today was my Sylvania 6080 tubes. Unfortunately, these seem to have a fairly overshadowing mid-bass bloom, and the rest of the spectrum / refinement is sub-par, similar to the GE 6AS7GA. 
confused_face_2.gif

RCA 6AS7G
On a 2nd days' listen with 'fresh ears', it seems you guys were right about the slight bass dominance. Almost a dark tube, but the mids / highs are very crisp and detailed nevertheless. Still the best $25 I've ever spent on anything, and I could see these as being end game tubes for some. 
L3000.gif

The 'games' continue
So this morning I lost the bidding war on eBay for a pair of 'holy grail' ST (bottle shaped) GEC 6AS7 G brown base tubes. I was really hoping to acquire these, at least as a comparison to my upcoming tubes. But I'm not sweating it, because I've managed to order a pair of Western Electric 421A (5998 class). These are widely regarded as the best in their class - even surpassing the refinement of the GEC's - selling for up to $1,200 / pair (sometimes much less) - I got my pair for $350 (unmatched, from two separate sources). 
gs1000.gif

Also if anyone is ever interested in these, let me know first because I've recently became an expert on how to spot a genuine W.E. 421A.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #2,771 of 11,833
  No visit to London would be complete for any music lover without a visit to St Martin in the Fields to attend a candlelight concert. Memorable experience. Hope you like this:

Yes love this. I've discovered St Martin.... and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart simply brilliant.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,773 of 11,833
Got my new EL3N and 7236 tubes and hear buzzing again from 12 o'clock and up. Is that normal for new tubes while they're breaking in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back