Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 3, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,596 of 11,833
  I can't resist this so I bought it. Slotted graphite plates Bendix don't come by easily. Now I'll have to pair it with something else until another one comes along. Or use it in my Darkvoice 336se. 
beyersmile.png

Great find sir.....keep your eyes peeled and you will eventually find a match 
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,597 of 11,833
Okay rise and shine, just remembered this little number, wish I could still do it.....

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,598 of 11,833
Piano on speed drugs

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,600 of 11,833
Seems like only yesterday I was young!

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,602 of 11,833
  Indeed that would be helpful to know a comparison between straight / curved GEC tubes - and I'm looking forward to any more words about differences between the two, even if it's heresay. Along with any description of the sound.

Also @HOWIE13 did you get the chance to try your new DAC's yet?

Just an initial impression, not yet burned in, but Mimby is as good as they say it is, for me in my set up.
Neutral, with just a touch of upper mid emphasis, giving great imaging, and the soundstage, while not huge, is reasonably wide and high. Bass is realistic, not bloated or forced, allowing the music to flow easily, without Mimby ever intruding.

Overall, sounds very musical and engaging, with very good pace and rhythm. Clean, clear and sweet with HD600, DT880 and K712. Tested with Elise 6 pack, and Espressivo, EL3N powers, Mullard ECC88 Drivers. I also connected the headphones directly to the outputs of Mimby, without using an amplifier, with similar results, amplifier just goes louder, of course.

Mojo sounds almost identical, strangely enough- maybe not quite the inner detail, but perhaps a bit more depth to the sound. Both excellent with neither sounding digitally 'processed'.
Mojo is more expensive, but you do get a good headphone amp ( two outputs, actually) and it's transportable, being battery powered. Both great value depending on whether you want just a DAC or a DAC/Amp.

Thanks for your patience, DL, I'll be interested in your own assessment, though I don't know that other amp you're comparing with.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,603 of 11,833

Just an initial impression, not yet burned in, but Mimby is as good as they say it is, for me in my set up.
Neutral, with just a touch of upper mid emphasis, giving great imaging, and the soundstage, while not huge, is reasonably wide and high. Bass is realistic, not bloated or forced, allowing the music to flow easily, without Mimby ever intruding.

Overall, sounds very musical and engaging, with very good pace and rhythm. Clean, clear and sweet with HD600, DT880 and K712. Tested with Elise 6 pack, and Espressivo, EL3N powers, Mullard ECC88 Drivers. I also connected the headphones directly to the outputs of Mimby, without using an amplifier, with similar results, amplifier just goes louder, of course.

Mojo sounds almost identical, strangely enough- maybe not quite the inner detail, but perhaps a bit more depth to the sound. Both excellent with neither sounding digitally 'processed'.
Mojo is more expensive, but you do get a good headphone amp ( two outputs, actually) and it's transportable, being battery powered. Both great value depending on whether you want just a DAC or a DAC/Amp.

Thanks for your patience, DL, I'll be interested in your own assessment, though I don't know that other amp you're comparing with.

Howie: That is very consistent with my experience with the Bimby. For some reason, Schiit DACs don't seem to generate much enthusiasm on this thread so it's nice to see your comments.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,604 of 11,833
  I can't resist this so I bought it. Slotted graphite plates Bendix don't come by easily. Now I'll have to pair it with something else until another one comes along. Or use it in my Darkvoice 336se. 
beyersmile.png

i saw that ... thought about bidding ... but the pix didn't show the slots ... so i demurred.
mine is more used but still quite good (i think -- my tester has faulty 6v operation so i can't get any useful readings) ... & like you, i have a single.  double halo getters

maybe we can work out some sleazy deal 
very_evil_smiley.gif
??? 

<edit>  btw, that is not a crack below the slot but a groove cut into the plate --- on the other side, the plate is inverted, so the groove is at the top.  no idea if it's an artifact of the production process or a necessary design feature.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,606 of 11,833
beyersmile.png

UT don't fret it at all 
smily_headphones1.gif
 because my latest discovery is that in fact, one Bendix 6080 sounds better than two. I find it's pairing with Mullard 6080 to be extraordinary - perhaps my best ever combo yet. And I'm sure other good pairings could be had too

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,607 of 11,833

Quite interesting - seems we do share a nearly identical hearing / sound preferences. OK so finally, here is the 'uncensored' original version of my initial impressions of the Mimby here (straight out of box on the first day)

"My initial impressions of the Mimby (Modi 2 multibit) DAC:

Compared to my Gustard X12, it’s a big step up! Markedly improved transient response (slam of the dynamics), more ‘focued’ imaging, more detailed, and a superb realism. Everything sounds absolutely engulfing / enveloping, tonally perfect, crisp, yet clear and clean as a whistle. Yet seems slightly musical and/or euphonic. Compared to the Bimby at twice the price, this has better dynamics / clarity and slightly less euphonic, while the Bimby has slightly better imaging and soundstage.

Sounds like a $1,000+ DAC, all crammed into a tiny little box for several hundred! Absolutely the most staggering price to performance of a DAC made to date. Only downside yet is soundstage seems slightly small. And this is only without burn-in and using mid-tier tubes!"

Now here's this Chatham 6080 ST tube that I found on eBay. It looks like an ST version of Bendix 6080 and is a pristine looking pair, if anyone's interested:
CARBON PLATE NOS NIB PAIR 6336A CHATHAM VACUUM TUBES TUNGSOL USA MADE 6080 421A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222231620699

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,608 of 11,833
  UT don't fret it at all 
smily_headphones1.gif
 because my latest discovery is that in fact, one Bendix 6080 sounds better than two. I find it's pairing with Mullard 6080 to be extraordinary - perhaps my best ever combo yet. And I'm sure other good pairings could be had too

Chuckle chuckle chuckle. Will start a whole new trend pairing different power tubes. 
biggrin.gif
 I can try it but I'm a symetrical guy. So I'm waiting on geetarman to sell me his for half the price.

That Chatham 6336A should not be used in Elise. It's 5A each. 2 of those would be 10A. That will turn your tube amp into a smoking Elise.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,609 of 11,833

Now here's this Chatham 6080 ST tube that I found on eBay. It looks like an ST version of Bendix 6080 and is a pristine looking pair, if anyone's interested:
CARBON PLATE NOS NIB PAIR 6336A CHATHAM VACUUM TUBES TUNGSOL USA MADE 6080 421A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222231620699

The 6336A is a dual 6080 into a single bottle (heating current is 5A for 6.3V), do not try to plug to in the Elise :wink:
This is anyhow a good industrial tube and some glenn amp owner use it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back