Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 23, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,326 of 11,833

How are you finding the T1 with Elise? Just wondering as you're maybe remotely contemplating another headphone after acquiring the T1 so soon. Or maybe you just want to sample more... which is a good reason in head-fi.

I've been burning in the T1.1 and Elise for a few days and I'm very happy with what I'm hearing so far with stock tubes, still waiting on my other tubes. Of course I'm still interested in listen to a HE560 with it as well. I own the Hifiman RE-600 iem and I love the sound signature and crisp bass.

How you would rate your amount of time spent with your 3 headphones? T1 > HE560 > HD650?

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,327 of 11,833
  I've been burning in the T1.1 and Elise for a few days and I'm very happy with what I'm hearing so far with stock tubes, still waiting on my other tubes. Of course I'm still interested in listen to a HE560 with it as well. I own the Hifiman RE-600 iem and I love the sound signature and crisp bass.

How you would rate your amount of time spent with your 3 headphones? T1 > HE560 > HD650?

Glad to hear your feedback on T1 with Elise. You could stop there and be totally satisfied - that's how I feel.

I use the T1 more than the other 2 but I changed occasionally because variety is the spice of life. :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,328 of 11,833

How are you finding the T1 with Elise? Just wondering as you're maybe remotely contemplating another headphone after acquiring the T1 so soon. Or maybe you just want to sample more... which is a good reason in head-fi.

i haven't listened as much as i should but i am reasonably satisfied with its performance ... rather, i'm more than satisfied with performance of elise - the issues i had wrt front  panel i have resolved.*   the t1 i consider to be okay wrt hype (maybe, as lr says, my sn is too low; gotta be > 20k or something).  

otoh, monk+ leaves me rather underwhelmed atm considering all the fuss here.   sure, it's only ~ $12 ($cdn) but i wouldn't even say it matches to the musicality of my portapro (the monk may be more balanced and even from the upper-bass thru lower hi, but it certainly doesn't sound more musical --- this is via the hp out on my pc).  maybe it needs more time?

as to why another phone?  well, a new acura or audi is really beyond my budget & a waste of $$$ but a true totl phone i think i can manage.  i don't consider any of the phones i have to be totl any more including the t1 (if it ever were).  but i'm curious what a current or new totl phone would bring to the equation.  i've never heard an r10 or sa5000 & that's why the new sony has my interest.  the non-akg replacement for k1000 also has my interest for obvious reasons.  & i'm keeping my eyes and ears on the alert for anything else that might be extraordinary.

*  for those familiar with my issues with front panel uneven appearance, here's how i finally put the ghost to rest.  firstly, using dry microfiber cloth did nothing.  using microfiber cloth with distilled water did improve things a tad after a half-doz hard tries, but barely.  finally, i added about 0.05 ml of dishwashing detergent to 30ml of distilled water and used microfiber cloth, directionally rubbing with firmness.  next day, everything looked like new from factory.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,329 of 11,833
Hi g49,

Happy to hear that you were able to solve the issue with the streaks on your finish of the Elise. All that effort was worth it so that you did not have to send it back.....

My own feeling is that the Elise improves over a considerable time, and tubes that did not sound so great in the beginning will sound better when you try them again after a long time. You've heard it before: Everything sounds good with Elise (or was it Everything goes better with Coke?)

Even the non-Coke bottle tubes sound great lol.......

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,330 of 11,833
  Hi g49,

Happy to hear that you were able to solve the issue with the streaks on your finish of the Elise. All that effort was worth it so that you did not have to send it back.....

My own feeling is that the Elise improves over a considerable time, and tubes that did not sound so great in the beginning will sound better when you try them again after a long time. You've heard it before: Everything sounds good with Elise (or was it Everything goes better with Coke?)

Even the non-Coke bottle tubes sound great lol.......

not only that ... had another listen to monks w dm black celebration .. seems to be improving from last nite but dang ... that fit, must be a ramsay bolton creation.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #2,335 of 11,833
Isn't layering in music, the perception of depth and instrument separation? To me, headphones really don't sound like a real HiFi does, sound comes within my head. Still trying to achieve that 3D sound in head-fi.

Indeed, LR...it's just that some folks will perceive it differently to others - with an extra, hard to define element, that some may well never really be able to relate to, lol!
wink_face.gif
...such is diversity!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #2,336 of 11,833
Isn't layering in music, the perception of depth and instrument separation? To me, headphones really don't sound like a real HiFi does, sound comes within my head. Still trying to achieve that 3D sound in head-fi.

I know I'm sounding like an old school marm about this, but Dictionary.com defines "layering" as:

noun
1. a thickness of some material laid on or spread over a surface: a layer of soot on the window sill; two layers of paint.

2. bed; stratum: alternating layers of basalt and sandstone.

3. a person or thing that lays: a carpet layer.

4. a hen kept for egg production.

5. one of several items of clothing worn one on top of the other.

6. Horticulture.
  • a shoot or twig that is induced to root while still attached to theliving stock, as by bending and covering with soil.
  • a plant so propagated.

7. Ropemaking. a machine for laying rope or cable.

verb (used with object)
8. to make a layer of.

9. to form or arrange in layers.

10. to arrange or wear (clothing) in layers: You can layer this vest over a blouse or sweater.

11. Horticulture. to propagate by layering.

verb (used without object)
12. to separate into or form layers.

13. (of a garment) to permit of wearing in layers; be used in layering: Frilly blouses don't layer well.

I don't know of any established definition as it relates to music. Therefore it can mean different things to different people when discussing music. Why not just use terms like "depth" and "instrument separation"???  
normal_smile .gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #2,338 of 11,833
Now a story for you.

A carpet layer had just finished installing carpet for a lady. He stepped out for a smoke, only to realize that he had lost his cigarettes. In the middle the room, under the carpet, was a bump. "No sense pulling up the entire floor for one pack smokes," he said to himself. He proceeded to take his hammer and flatten the hump. As he was cleaning up, the lady came in. "Here," she said, handing him his pack of cigarettes. "I found them in the hallway." "Now," she said, "if only I could find my sweet little hamster." 

Think about the hamster next time you talk about layers.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,339 of 11,833
Now I'll tell you a Hamster joke. This is the last otherwise they will throw me out. 
wink_face.gif

A guy walks into a bar and asks the bartender if he'll give him a free beer for an amazing trick.
The bartender agrees. The guy pulls out a hamster that begins dancing and singing.

"That is amazing!" says the bartender and gives him a beer.

"If I show you something else, will you give me another beer?" The bartender agrees.

The guy pulls out a small piano and a frog. The same hamster plays the piano while the frog dances and sings.

The bartender, completely wowed, gives him another beer.

A man in a suit, who's been watching the entire time, offers to buy the frog for a large sum, and the man agrees.

"Are you nuts?" asks the bartender. "You could've made a fortune off that frog."

"Can you keep a secret?" asks the man. "The hamster's a ventriloquist."

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #2,340 of 11,833
  Now I'll tell you a Hamster joke. This is the last otherwise they will throw me out. 
wink_face.gif

A guy walks into a bar and asks the bartender if he'll give him a free beer for an amazing trick.
The bartender agrees. The guy pulls out a hamster that begins dancing and singing.

"That is amazing!" says the bartender and gives him a beer.

"If I show you something else, will you give me another beer?" The bartender agrees.

The guy pulls out a small piano and a frog. The same hamster plays the piano while the frog dances and sings.

The bartender, completely wowed, gives him another beer.

A man in a suit, who's been watching the entire time, offers to buy the frog for a large sum, and the man agrees.

"Are you nuts?" asks the bartender. "You could've made a fortune off that frog."

"Can you keep a secret?" asks the man. "The hamster's a ventriloquist."

Good. It's about time we got back to the main point of this thread which is ______??? Oh, remind me of what that point is????? 
blink.gif
 Oh yeah. Layer cakes then and now 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back