Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 22, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,281 of 11,833
Too many layers for me I suppose.
wink.gif

You don't like Senna Miller dancing? 

Well try this

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,290 of 11,833
  I spent the whole afternoon yesterday carefully assessing the difference tube dampers make on tubes for the Elise for you guys. I found consistent and very refined results on a variety of tubes I tried it on, and concluded these have good synergy with the Elise amp. In return I was mocked and teased by almost everyone on this thread. Of course we don't expect everybody to buy everything that's recommended by peers on this forum, but the way you dismissed this with such disrespect was really surprising - something that has shown great results and is such a low risk and easy remedy in-line with something we are all after: further improving the sound.

So, rubber bands are a worthless invention that have no use for anything? If so, they wouldn't still be around. These tube dampers may be related to rubber bands, but they are in fact aerospace quality 100% silicone with a temperature rating of over 400 degrees F. Most cars even have a sort of thick rubber band under the hood as well (though the functional name has slipped me).

These dampers work by absorbing vibrations from the tube - a process I too definitely would never have noticed was needed until after trying them. In short, what I realised in my testing was that these have a positive effect on the dynamics, imaging / instrument separation and sense of air / upper detail - allowing me to hear layers I've never heard before and giving an overall more pleasing sound that takes the SQ up another level for dynamic 'cans, the likes of HD-650.

Somebody said that I'm the "only one" who agrees about the discoveries I make. So to set the record straight, I will now name seven specific examples of where other Head-Fi'ers have agreed with me on various hi-fi related upgrades:

* GE 6SN7 GTA tubes (Howie)
* Christmas Tree tube setup (Howie)
* Bimby DAC with Elise (several people)
* EL3N + 6BL7's as powers (Mordy)
* Bendix 6080 tubes as powers
* Visseaux and Zenith 6J5 tubes (about 10 people on the Ember thread)
+ I am the one who originally introduced both CF and Howie to Elise

Per the above I don't wish to sound boastful, but am just trying to prove the point that my hearing ability / preferences are not too far off of the general consensus, so I hope that people can put at least some degree of trust in my impressions.

I may have also mislead somebody in my comments about the need for critical listening and a top-end system in order to hear the difference these make. I meant that only as a guess on why tube dampers may have been overlooked for so many years; that is, that maybe these only play well on certain systems and with people who know what to listen for. But rest assured, these specific type of dampers really do synergize quite well with the Elise and with this amp, I would say the difference it makes can be heard without too critical of a listen. (especially does wonders for rhythmic music and that which was recorded in a big space).

My only reason for posting about these is in hopes that maybe somebody else will confirm their results and to share my joy of this awesome remedy. I'm not claiming it makes a drastic change, but it's certainly more than a subtle improvement. You'll never know until you try it, and maybe some of you also can bask in the glory of this discovery! 
smily_headphones1.gif

less my comment(s) be mistaken - many different types of tube dampers ... whether there is one that supersedes all others, i do not know.   but i happen to have these.

(sorry about the crappy photo).

i also have some diy from nuclear industry -- rings created from special hoses for use in reactor settings (12ax7, 6dj8 size).

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,295 of 11,833
yes, right on all counts!

only thing i'm missing are those xtenders that dl was talkin' bout.  but then, my order was placed much earlier.

so much to look forward to in the next couple weeks  --- new tv, new theatre seats, boatload of el3ns ... is there a new hp amongst this lot??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back