1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by pctazhp, Jul 7, 2016.
First

Back
733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742
744 745 746 747
Next

Last
  1. aqsw
    1/2 inch

2. LoryWiv
    I appreciate that...considering aftermarket feet and the height of stock feet will help me select wisely. :dt880smile::jecklinsmile::dt880smile:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. LoryWiv
    Boy, this is a creative group, answers abound. I appreciate that @mordy !

4. LoryWiv
    Thanks @aqsw , yes you're right they look pretty darn sharp. Newbie-esque question: I see "EL38 instead 6SN7" adapters on ebay which I assume would be for the EL38 in driver position. Would I need a different "EL38 instead 6AS7G " to use the EL38 as powers?

5. aqsw
    Same adapters for driver or power sockets

6. LoryWiv
    So sockets are the same, I have much to learn, assumed they'd be different for driver versus power tube use...but really helpful, got it, and thank you, @aqsw !

7. LoryWiv
    I'm really enjoying Elise with stock tubes, no pressing urge to tube roll but am trying to learn the basics so when I do I have some knowledge on hand. I believe I need to

1. Use 6.3V tubes
    2. Keep total heater current below 6.5 A
    3. Stick with octals (8-pin) if I don't want to use an adapter
    4. Use compatable power (output) tube, options include 6080, 7236, 5998 or 121A, but I'm wondering if their differing amplification factor ratings influence output. For example, 6AS7G and 6080 are 2u versus 7236 is 4u, 5998 is 4.8u and 421A at 5.9u. Would this mean the latter 3 are progressively "louder" at similar Elise volume setting? Do they run hotter? Does the increased gain add risk of a less quiet noise floor or other sonic disadvantages?

Thanks for helping a "tubey-newbie" learn, and happy listening! :smile_phones:

8. Preachy1
    You stole my avatar!!!! :) :) :)

9. mordy
    Hi LW,
    Your assumptions are correct for everything you write. A higher multiplication factor will make the amp sound louder. It is possible that a higher multiplication may introduce more noise, but this has to be determined on an individual basis - I would not worry about it.
    Regarding how hot the tube runs it depends on many factors and I am not sure if there is a relationship to the multiplication factor, but probably depends more on the construction and materials. Some tubes definitively run hotter than others. By looking at the spec sheets you can find the operating temperature range and which degree not to exceed.
    You can buy an inexpensive IR thermometer (less than $15) and spot measure the temperature in the tubes - there are large variances depending where you measure.
    If you keep the amp well ventilated and not enclosed in a cabinet you should not have any problems.
    The main thing is not to burn your fingers on the power tubes.....They can run upwards of 250F.

10. LoryWiv
    Thank you, @mordy, this is a fun journey and learning from those farther along the road is really helpful. Pretty sure that road has no end, though...:ksc75smile:

11. OctavianH
    I might be able to try soon a pair of Melz 6H12S metal base as drivers. These are rated at 0.9A (with a pair of 6AS7G we reach 6.8A) but some users tried them with success without any external heating or power.
    I know for sure that Elise has a 6.5A limit but I am not sure if Euforia goes up to 7A. Anyway, has anyone tried these on Elise?

12. mordy
    You can extend the current draw a little, especially if you use a fan for cooling.
    The Euforia is rated 7A.

13. OctavianH
    A Friday evening needs to end with...

Ps. Thulemann remasters are quite good.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Scutey likes this.
  14. OctavianH
    Courtesy of a very nice gentleman from the community, who decided to pursue other oportunities and sold a part of his tube collection, I was able to add some very good tubes to mine. Among them there is a pair of CV2523 straight brown base, some chrome top 5998 and also some tubes I always wanted but never had the chance to have, Ken-Rad VT-231 black glass. These CV2523 tubes have no logo, but on one of them I see a small shape reminding of a former GEC logo, so I suspect these were branded as GEC. Anyway they look almost identical to the "holy grail" and I think they are identical, construction wise, to the famous round brown base.

So now gents, time to roll some GEC (or what they are) 6AS7G + PsVane CV181T2 on Elise:

[​IMG]

These beauties are very detailed, very balanced in all areas. I have a feeling that these provide more detail than the 5998 but the bass is not so punchy. I was expecting them to be warmer but I am very pleased that they are not.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if these were manufactured by GEC? I know also Marconi/Osram made some of these in the past.

And starting today I own 4 pieces of chrome top Tung Sol 5998. The green painted ones are from '57 and the white painted ones from '55. Other difference I could not see on these 2 pairs.

[​IMG]

So nice times ahead.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    hypnos1 and Scutey like this.
  15. Scutey
    Looking good!, you've picked up some legendary tubes!, not jealous ... much! :beyersmile:.

First

Back
733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742
744 745 746 747
Next

Last