1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by pctazhp, Jul 7, 2016.
First

Back
730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739
741 742 743 744 745 746 747
Next

Last
  1. LoryWiv
    Happy to share this, will retrieve the SN after current listening session. Where is it on the chassis, and is it on box as well?

2. OctavianH
    It's right under the amp, just a number. Mine was 145 and I was curious how many were built since 02.2018. Thanks.

3. LoryWiv
    Just a quick early impression update: As I continue to burn in Elise, I at times feel that it's missing some technicalities (instrument separation / stage, detail, treble extension) but then that thought passes as I once again get immersed in the music. In short, I find with Elise I am less interested in listening to the equipment and back to my true passion of listening to the music. I am noticing lyrics in jazz recordings, whereas with my technically adept iCan Pro I was often straining to assess for standup bass impact or cymbal sparkle that I lost focus on the "big picture". Classical music flows organically, piano euphonic and not artificially bright, string quartets brimming with emotion. So while I do wish for a bit more stage and treble extension in particular, the overall experience is incredibly "human" and the positives GREATLY outweigh the negatives thus far.

4. Scutey
    Good to hear you're enjoying the Elise, and of course, with burn in things will only get better!, factor in better tubes and your Experience will improve way beyond, because the Elise does scale very well.

ps how do the Auteur sound with the Elise, I would imagine they work really well with tube amps.

hypnos1 likes this.
  5. LoryWiv
    Elise-Auteur is a very nice combination, as Auteur tends toward neutral and Elise ads a touch more warmth.

6. LoryWiv
    My unit is # 0198

7. OctavianH
    This means 53 amps in 18 months. Thanks.

8. OctavianH
    The end of an era is coming...

Scutey likes this.
  9. Scutey
    Sadly yes, and there will be a few more over the coming years :cry:.
    I still have my original cassette copy of this classic I bought way back in 86!.
    20190707_000702[2357].jpg

OctavianH likes this.
  10. LoryWiv
    Been reading a bit about aftermarket isolation feet to reduce vibration under audio components, improve performance. Isoacoustics Orea has been recommended, but a bit pricey. Anyone using this with Elise to positive effect, or is it likely audio snake oil?

Isoacoustics Orea Bronze.jpg

11. OctavianH
    Honestly I never cared about vibration when using Elise but a lot of people use racks and anti-vibration stuff for their gear. What I've seen and used some years in the past, were some rings for the tubes:

[​IMG]

Honestly it is hard for me to say if these make any difference. Some guys also claim a DAC sounds better if vibration is reduced to minimum, but for me this sounds like "snake oil" as you mentioned. Before starting to invest in such a thing you can do something, if needed, which proved to me to improve a lot the sound quality like better interconnects or AC filtering and better power cables.
    Regarding interconnects everything is subjective, but regarding AC filtering some users here including myself use Furman power conditioners. I use an AC-210A E (for 220V) which has 2 filtered plugs but there are also more expensive models with a lot more.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  12. LoryWiv
    Thank you, @OctavianH . I have some mid-tier upgraded power cables for my DAC and USB interface, and decent Pangea / Cardas RCA interconnects to the Elise. It didn't occur to me yet to replace the Elise's power cable with an aftermarket one...would you recommend this as likely to be more impactful than isolation feet if one wanted to invest $150 or some similarly modest amount to get more out of the amp.

Regarding power conditioners, what would you say are the principle changes / improvements you notice with the Furman?

Seems the tweaks never end, and I'm not even close to considering tube rolling yet. The good news is I am already enjoying Elise very much as is, about 25 hours in. It's musicality is first rate, really well-balanced across the frequencies but hoping a a bit more "air", stage and treble extension develop. Not a detail monster either but I think that's part of what makes it so engaging....I find I am listening longer to the music, not straining to hear the proficiency of the equipment. In short, really enjoying the journey so far!
    :)

13. OctavianH
  14. Scutey
    I'm with @OctavianH on this, I'm not convinced of any advantages, the only thing is it will give your amp an extra bit of height to allow a little bit more ventilation, but then do you really need to buy in something when you could possibly make something similar from anything you have at home which would do the same thing.

15. mordy
    Hi LW,
    Hi LW,
    A long time ago I read about a very low cost isolation tweak from Steve Guttenberg. If your equipment sits on a shelf, take four glass marbles and put at each corner (green glass are best sounding - JUST KIDDING!) under the shelf. Somehow this idea appeals to me - the marbles are supposed to cancel out micro vibrations.
    A little tricky to keep them in place, but you could add some material to keep them in place.
    As far as power cords are concerned, I did notice an improvement with a 14 gauge hospital quality power cord. The bass became tighter. The cost is a 1/10th of the $150 allocation.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Leader...WG+power+cord&qid=1562606503&s=gateway&sr=8-9
    [​IMG]

First

Back
730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739
741 742 743 744 745 746 747
Next

Last