1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by pctazhp, Jul 7, 2016.
First

Back
722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731
733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742
Next

Last
  1. UntilThen
    Hi Colin @hypnos1 , long time no chat. :) Still enjoying your music that's good ! You used to love this 'War of the Worlds'. I'm listening to it now on speakers. It's great ! Enjoy your music !

IMG-2525.JPG

2. mordy
    Hi Octavian,
    A couple of Head Fiers are owners of both solid state and tube rigs of high quality. My impression is that a good ss system can rival a good tube system and it also seems that the bass may be better.
    One person has a Chinese Violectric clone that costs much less and he claims that it is excellent. (I am not debating the ethics of cloning an expensive German product for almost a third of the price...)
    It is a great thing to be able to vary the sound in a tube amp with different tubes. However, I am not as interested in changing the sound as finding the ideal combination for me. Once I find that elusive magical tube complement I intend to stay with it and just enjoy listening.
    Until the next "discovery" comes along.....LOL

OctavianH likes this.
  3. hypnos1
    Hi there Matt...nice you popped in here - been a long time indeed lol! :wink:

And yes, still enjoying wonderful music...even more so now, with my particular EL11/EL38 combo in Euforia (not to mention the amazing mono crystal OCC silver and copper wire everywhere!! :beyersmile:). I simply cannot overstate how the EL38 tube transforms our F-A amps...yet another example of a tube that isn't configured for, but can outperform any appropriate 'conventional' tube you care to name (in most cases at least! :ksc75smile:).
    It's a shame you were so unlucky with your own EL11s...there are a good few unreliable examples out there alas! But with good ones, they are proving to synergise with the EL38 perfectly. For myself, and others, it was a good day when you and mordy encouraged me to go ahead and adapt the EL11 for Elise, after the initial success of the pretty, red-skirted EL3N that caught your eye lol :yum:. (But the rare mesh plated versions I so love have never surfaced again since, more's the pity...:triportsad:).

So now, 'War of the Worlds' has an even more special place in my repertoire...along with everything else!! Richard Burton's voice is now extra rich, and the sound effects are truly sensational...:) :)

Glad to hear you too are obviously enjoying this and other music...will that be even greater soon, with a DNA amp in situ?...nice...:smile_phones:

Still no further word yet on F-A's new 2A3-based uber flagship amp...wouldn't be surprised if it's being reserved for a sudden appearance at some fancy HiFi Show somewhere - Munich, or Singapore?...time will tell...

Here's wishing you continued HAPPY LISTENING...CHEERS!...CJ

4. hypnos1
    Hi m...and there's the crux of the matter! I can't begin to imagine the logistics of trying dozens (at least!) of different SS amps in one's own system before finding that ideal sound!! :relieved:. And even then, tastes can and do change over time :wink:...(much easier to then play around with different combos again lol!).

And so IMHO we can only hope that one day the 'dream' amp I mentioned previously does in fact appear like magic...but don't hold your breath!!! Reckon we'll all be enjoying our tubes for a very long time yet, mon ami...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

ps. As for that Chinese V281 clone, who on Earth would want to copy that exterior design lol?!! Unless it's the HA200 "V281-inspired" model, which does look nicer at least IMHO!! :smile_phones:...

5. UntilThen
    Hi Colin, I must admit that the EL38 looks very striking and has good vintage creed. :) I have quite a few, new EL11, EL12 and EL12 spez lying around unused. Wish I had a Elise or Euforia to pop them in.

As for the DNA Stratus, there has been a change of direction. I fell in love with vintage Sansui amps that sounds like tube amps, works incredibly good with both headphones and speakers. You will see my posts here.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cal...atched_thread_reply_messagetext#post-14830672

So... after 3 years of head-fi, I wouldn't have thought that I would venture into restored vintage amps but it's a discovery that lit up my eyes and ears... more so the latter. :)

Cheers
    UT

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  6. connieflyer
    I used to use a vintage Pioneer amp and SA-9100 that I purchased new and it had a great headphone section, used it up until it died, took it in for repair at a Pioneer shop and they said many hundreds to repair and did not want to do it, as there was soooo many 1 percent resistors and other high end components that would have to be replaced to keep the balance, so let it go. Many years of pleasure out of it. Back when then separates were the way to go. 00000081_IMG_0031.JPG

DavidA, OctavianH and Madhyamika like this.
  7. UntilThen
    That would have been desirable if you still have it. Even has it’s own hifi rack !

8. UntilThen
    And it’s good to hear from you Don. Was wondering why you didn’t post for a while.

9. connieflyer
    Have been more active on the Euforia thread, as I sold my Elise after I ordered my Euforia, number 0005, so I don't post here much, read the thread but that's about it. The rack I made for the above stereo gear, it was a very good system. Turned in my Fischer 400 towards this system. Turntable was an Acuutrac 4000, laser guided programmable track selector. Empire Ve999 stylus, Lots of pleasant times with this.

10. UntilThen
    Nice vintage stuff. Pity you no longer have it.

I'm starting to feel like Skylab. :)
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cal...-receiver-owners.537704/page-156#post-7694813

connieflyer likes this.
  11. OctavianH
    I tried guys, but I was not lucky and I cannot bid more:

[​IMG]

I am curious about how much will be the final amount of cash. For me, since these are coming from New Zealand, the price is quite big + shipping + customs and stuff... but I tried with 540 USD.

Who knows, maybe sometime I will own a pair of these.

PS. This town is that one I've seen at the News recently, I guess if I'd won this auction the Police would inspect closely my package...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  12. Scutey
    Hi O, I saw this sale too, I must admit I was tempted, for a moment at least!, however I knew they would go for crazy money, so didn't bother bidding, problem is of course there's always customs charges too, anyway well done you for trying though!, maybe one day you might get some, you never know!

13. OctavianH
    I have a "Saved search" on Ebay for "GEC 6AS7G" so I am notified about this product. Last year there was a pair in Sweden at somewhere at 500 EUR... I have doubts these are so good compared to 5998 or 7236 to worth the price, we discuss here about half ot the price of Elise. But I still want to try them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  14. connieflyer
    I sold my pair last Oct.for $250.00 for the pair of 6as7's and $160 for the 6080's to a member here. Looks like I should have waited!! Oh well, they were not being used, have to do more sales for the rest of my tubes. Got a nice pair of 5998A, and a nice pair of 5998 as well as some EL38's and lots of 6sn7's. I have found the combo that I am going to stay with now, so doubt if I would need the other tubes. One nice thing about getting older, you don't have to plan for the future!

15. OctavianH
    I have no ideea why I still want to try them since I recently switched to 7236 from 5998 to reduce the "bass" quantity and these GEC 6AS7G are regarded by all as "darker" than the others. So most probably they are not a good match for my taste. Anyway, I realized lately that I am not a good tube roller, since I quite roll until I find a combo and then stick to it for a lot of hours. I expect that in the end I will use the same combo forever.

First

Back
722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731
733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742
Next

Last