Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #10,021 of 11,833
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #10,022 of 11,833
Is it this one? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192355601429

Wow, what a bargain price! Certainly a good upgrade although I haven’t any personal experience with the DV, but most owners here have been down this road so I’m just echoing past remarks.
Yes it was that one. I was surprised I got it for 400, I was expecting it to go for over 500. Didn't really expect to win so was ecstatic when I did!. The price of a new one is just too much so I felt this was my chance to own one, can't wait to hear it in action. Just got a bit of money left over to get a pair of driver tubes, maybe 6n7g, el3n or maybe ecc31, but i'll give the stock tubes a go first.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #10,023 of 11,833
Yes it was that one. I was surprised I got it for 400, I was expecting it to go for over 500. Didn't really expect to win so was ecstatic when I did!. The price of a new one is just too much so I felt this was my chance to own one, can't wait to hear it in action. Just got a bit of money left over to get a pair of driver tubes, maybe 6n7g, el3n or maybe ecc31, but i'll give the stock tubes a go first.
As far as I can remember, the Tung-Sol reissues are nothing special to write home about. Personally I went straight to the Psvane UK 6sn7g which now come standard with the Euforia, and they can really be something worth mentioning. That said, if you browse through the posts here—or just go straight through the consolidated knowledge in page/post #1—you will see that the Elise really scales with the better tubes.

I used to be an advocate of the 'upgraded' stock configuration (i.e. Svetlana 6C13N & Psvane UK6sn7g), but at this point I have found my nirvana with the way pricier GEC 6080 and Ken-Rad 6sn7gt / VT-231. I also caught a glimpse of the amazing things a GEC A1834 / 6as7g can do but I had to let go because at the prices these are going I couldn't pair it (plus I'm selling off my Elise eventually).

If you're looking for a bargain–priced set of driver tubes, I believe @mordy is the more knowledgeable person here! Last I remember he was advocating for the Foton 6N8S.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #10,024 of 11,833
Yes I've had a good look page 1 which is very informative, up to page 50 now!. The EL11, EL12/12N and EL3N look very interesting, so at some point I will try some of those, fortunately I have 4 pairs of 6SN7 tubes including the Ken-Rad VT-231 and Shuguang Treasures and a few 6AS7G's so will have some fun with them first, but after that there seems to be enough tube rolling options to keep me occupied for a very long while, hopefully happy times ahead!.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #10,025 of 11,833
Always wanted to try the Shuguang Treasures, I wonder how they stack up to the Psvanes, they share the same bloodline after all.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #10,026 of 11,833
I got the Shuguangs from you no where again as a very lightly used matched pair for £30 to use in my DV, unfortunately they do hum a bit in the DV, sound good though, I would say just on the warm side of neutral, didn't give them much time because of it, although they were silent in my LD MK3, so keeping my fingers crossed they'll be quiet in the Elise so I can finally give them a good workout. As you say Psavnes/Shuguang defo share the same bloodline, don't actually know but would not be surprised if they are made in the same factory, that's another pair on my wish list, I did have a pair which I bought for my LD but they only sounded so so in that,although I had a different set up then.

Attachments

• 20171113_213912_resized[686].jpg
    20171113_213912_resized[686].jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #10,030 of 11,833
Hi mordy,
Not yet but I am going to give them, and others a scrape, also bought some Deoxit to give them a wipe as well, want them looking their best for when the Elise comes, hopefully tomorrow.

Hi Scutey...welcome to Elise Land...and WELL DONE on bagging yours for what is really silly money for such a good amp! :darthsmile:. I'm sure you'll be very pleasantly surprised lol...

Sounds like you already have some very nice tubes, and if you can spare the time to go back over previous posts, you should find plenty of info on what might appeal to you most - no need to rush!! :wink:

I, and a good few others, ended up preferring the triode-strapped pentodes - EL3N and EL11 as drivers, but they do need a good long burn-in if NOS before really delivering of their best. Prior to these, my favourite driver was the ECC31 (needs adapter also), but I personally don't like how hot they run the amp...(another good reason why I love the EL tubes - my Elise, and now the Euforia, run with case and trafo housing hardly even warm! And although not officially sanctioned by F-A, I have been running these tubes - with EL12 Spezial powers - exclusively now for nearly a year without the slightest hint of anything untoward, and in light of which Lukasz said these tubes should therefore be safe to use...).

I wish you all the best with your new acquisition, and many hours of HAPPY LISTENING....CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10,031 of 11,833
It's very peaceful around here. Just the place to listen to my favourite music. :smiley_cat:

Lake Street Dive: Mistakes

Peaceful O?...I must be slipping lol!!! :wink:...but nice music! :beyersmile:

I shan't shatter your peace just now - or anyone else's - but I shall pass on a message from Lukasz re. UPGRADES TO THE 2018 MODEL ELISE.......

In an attempt to ameliorate the recent price rise, F-A have brought forward some additional features for the Elise (and Euforia) :

1. A 'Soft Mute' at start and switch off, which I personally think is an extremely good feature - greatly reduces the stress on components/tubes/headphones.
2. An upgraded transformer, which is always a very welcome feature in any amp of course! :ksc75smile:...(Euforia already has one...).

(Hey, O, mon ami....I could get used to this more concise delivery - leaves me more quality listening time lol!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...).

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #10,032 of 11,833
Hi Scutey...welcome to Elise Land...and WELL DONE on bagging yours for what is really silly money for such a good amp! :darthsmile:. I'm sure you'll be very pleasantly surprised lol...

Sounds like you already have some very nice tubes, and if you can spare the time to go back over previous posts, you should find plenty of info on what might appeal to you most - no need to rush!! :wink:

I, and a good few others, ended up preferring the triode-strapped pentodes - EL3N and EL11 as drivers, but they do need a good long burn-in if NOS before really delivering of their best. Prior to these, my favourite driver was the ECC31 (needs adapter also), but I personally don't like how hot they run the amp...(another good reason why I love the EL tubes - my Elise, and now the Euforia, run with case and trafo housing hardly even warm! And although not officially sanctioned by F-A, I have been running these tubes - with EL12 Spezial powers - exclusively now for nearly a year without the slightest hint of anything untoward, and in light of which Lukasz said these tubes should therefore be safe to use...).

I wish you all the best with your new acquisition, and many hours of HAPPY LISTENING....CHEERS!...CJ
Hi hypnos,

Elise arrived today, yippee!. Thank you for the warm welcome, much appreciated!, I hope I can, in my own small way, chip in with some thoughts etc over the coming weeks/months.

I was amazed to get Elise for £400, my maximum bid was £465 and I didn't think for one minute it would win, but when the auction ended and i'd won I nearly fell off me chair with shock!.

Thanks also for your recommendation for the EL3N and E11, they are right at the top of my wish list,and hopefully they will be my first purchase for the Elise.

One thing I have been doing for the last 2 weeks is reading both this thread and also the Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread, I've now read well over 100 pages from both, they are both very informative, and also very enjoyable to read, so also big thanks to you, gibosi, mordy, UntilThen and many others for all the reviews and posts, they really are invaluable!.

I know there are many pics on here of the Elise but I hope you will all in indulge, at least if only once, with a pic of mine!

Let the good tubes roll!:beyersmile:20171115_211915[694].jpg

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #10,034 of 11,833
Hi hypnos,

Elise arrived today, yippee!. Thank you for the warm welcome, much appreciated!, I hope I can, in my own small way, chip in with some thoughts etc over the coming weeks/months.

I was amazed to get Elise for £400, my maximum bid was £465 and I didn't think for one minute it would win, but when the auction ended and i'd won I nearly fell off me chair with shock!.

Thanks also for your recommendation for the EL3N and E11, they are right at the top of my wish list,and hopefully they will be my first purchase for the Elise.

One thing I have been doing for the last 2 weeks is reading both this thread and also the Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread, I've now read well over 100 pages from both, they are both very informative, and also very enjoyable to read, so also big thanks to you, gibosi, mordy, UntilThen and many others for all the reviews and posts, they really are invaluable!.

I know there are many pics on here of the Elise but I hope you will all in indulge, at least if only once, with a pic of mine!

Let the good tubes roll!:beyersmile:

Glad she arrived safe and sound, Scutey...and any and all photos are always welcome - (should be obligatory, as far as I'm concerned lol!!:wink::L3000:).

Congrats also on ploughing through a good few thread pages already...just a few more to go!!! There have been some wonderful times, with wonderful guys...and heaps of good advice and recommendations - on all sorts of topics, including music lol!! :smile_phones: So keep ploughing, mon ami...and don't forget to keep us all updated with your own progress and findings - not to mention recommendations. But most of all...ENJOY!!!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back