Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,896 of 11,833
@geetarman49 thanks for your advice on ECC88 and E188CC. Would like to try some, but am waiting for a better price, if anyone knows where?
And were you able to find which brand you were using which had the best 'slam' & clarity?

Also how are you enjoying your Elise? And did you get the stock power tubes?
I think the SVETLANA 6H13C EXPERIENCE (which may be stock) is drastically overlooked, and they are absolutely outstanding, newer, bigger, and possibly even technically superior to all else (save for the GEC & Western Electric, and maybe RCA 6AS7G)... and that's even without burn-in!

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #2,897 of 11,833
@geetarman49
 thanks for your advice on ECC88 and E188CC. Would like to try some, but am waiting for a better price, if anyone knows where?
And were you able to find which brand you were using which had the best 'slam' & clarity?

I think the SVETLANA [COLOR=800000]6H13C EXPERIENCE[/COLOR] is drastically overlooked, and they are absolutely outstanding, newer, and possibly even technically superior to all else (save for the GEC & Western Electric)

I recently posted about this power tube on the 339 thread and agree it is an outstanding tube, especially for the price. It was my second purchase after the RCA 6AS7G, and I remember preferring the Russian to them. I do think other tubes have their place, including the RCA and especially the Bendix 6080WB and 7236. I still need to hear the Mullard 6080, Chatham 6AS7G, and GEC variants but feel little inclination with my tubes to purchase others.

I agree the Russian tube is very good.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #2,898 of 11,833
What can I say, some people see what others don't - including Feliks Audio as well. I'm also definitely keeping my Bendix & Mullards, as they may be preferrable for electronic music, as well as at least two of the eight EL3N's, for their pairing as drivers with select powers.

I've updated my top post

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #2,899 of 11,833
@DecentLevi

Those 6H13C are my stock tube and they are good. They have a big sound stage and made a good impression when I first played Elise. For some music though I needed more detail in the upper mid and treble, with more cohesion, and that's where the rolling came in. I think where I felt they lacked a little was in Baroque instrumental music, where I wanted to hear the individual lines of several instruments, playing simultaneously, very clearly. Mids, bass and soundstage no problem though.. There is also a 6H5C tube which looks and sounds somewhat similar.

It also strikes me that we listen to the stock tubes when our amp first arrives and soon move on to try other tubes. Maybe we underestimate the stocks for the very reason we are listening to them before the amp has truly burned in and then tend to forget about them in our eagerness to try new tubes.-just my philosophical thought for today.

I'll have another listen with them.

@UntilThen    Do hope you enjoy the records!

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,900 of 11,833
  What can I say, some people see what others don't - including Feliks Audio as well. I'm also definitely keeping my Bendix & Mullards, as they may be preferrable for electronic music, as well as at least two of the eight EL3N's, for their pairing as drivers with select powers.

I've updated my top post

The sound you seek for your electronic music I think will be similar to what I seek for Baroque. No fat and flab,- lean, clean and dynamic.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #2,901 of 11,833
  The Monk is here. 
etysmile.gif
 I'm listening to the Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite plates with a RCA 6SN7gtb clear glass in DV 336se. The Bendix took a while to heat up. It's playing quite nice now but I'll reserved anymore impressions till I get the other Bendix.

Might try out the Monk in the meantime. Does it need burn it? 
biggrin.gif

for me, monk needs burn in.  i didn't like the sound at all during the first day ... stopped listening after the 1st hr & just let it play from my laptop.  after a few more hrs next day, i began to understand why it has attracted so much attention.  but there's not much slam in the lower registers ... actually a bit light there & part of that is probably due to getting a good seal/fit.  btw, i never used monk with elise, just from my laptop & pc.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #2,902 of 11,833
  @geetarman49 thanks for your advice on ECC88 and E188CC. Would like to try some, but am waiting for a better price, if anyone knows where?

I think the SVETLANA 6H13C EXPERIENCE (which may be stock) is drastically overlooked, and they are absolutely outstanding, newer, bigger, and possibly even technically superior to all else (save for the GEC & Western Electric, and maybe RCA 6AS7G)... and that's even without burn-in!

damn hard to find good prices on these tubes today (at least from reliable sellers) --- i got mine 3 - 5 yr ago.  i liked telefunken, siemens, amperex in my setup.  also valvo.
i used them in a hybrid amp with ss output devices so i don't know whether or not this would be indicative of performance out of, say, elise.
<edit>  & i don't have any matched pairs of them either, so i'll never get to experience them in the likes of elise.

my elise sounds pretty darn good with el3n driving chatham 6as7g into t1, g1 fed by pioneer disc spinner and grace m920 as dac.  i didn't order any stock tubes.
but my mind, sight & ears have been drawn away this past wk by my new sammie 65ks8500 --- what an awesome tv, & i'm not even talking about blueray or 4k uhd discs, just regular hd cablefeed.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,903 of 11,833

damn hard to find good prices on these tubes today (at least from reliable sellers) --- i got mine 3 - 5 yr ago.  i liked telefunken, siemens, amperex in my setup.  also valvo.
i used them in a hybrid amp with ss output devices so i don't know whether or not this would be indicative of performance out of, say, elise.
<edit>  & i don't have any matched pairs of them either, so i'll never get to experience them in the likes of elise.

my elise sounds pretty darn good with el3n driving chatham 6as7g into t1, g1 fed by pioneer disc spinner and grace m920 as dac.  i didn't order any stock tubes.
but my mind, sight & ears have been drawn away this past wk by my new sammie 65ks8500 --- what an awesome tv, & i'm not even talking about blueray or 4k uhd discs, just regular hd cablefeed.

Hey g49...sammie?...thought you might have sold mother-in-law for the LG Oled, mon ami!!
wink_face.gif
...but glad you are impressed with the 8500.

Have to admit to being somewhat bemused by recent 6H13C (6N13S) raving...yes, they are indeed very good and exceptional value-for-money. But far too many aficianados agree that they are not top tier by any means - your Chathams, for example, I personally found were a superior tube in most aspects...as have many others. And there are tubes that surpass the Chathams even without having to slam the poor wallet for my GECs...but if the Russians do it for folks, then great for them - and their wallets lol!
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #2,904 of 11,833

Hey g49...sammie?...thought you might have sold mother-in-law for the LG Oled, mon ami!!
wink_face.gif

Have to admit to being somewhat bemused by recent 6H13C (6N13S) raving...yes, they are indeed very good and exceptional value-for-money. But far too many aficianados agree that they are not top tier by any means - your Chathams, for example, I personally found were a superior tube in most aspects...as have many others. And there are tubes that surpass the Chathams even without having to slam the poor wallet for my GECs...but if the Russians do it for folks, then great for them - and their wallets lol!
biggrin.gif

I guess it should be no surprise that the stock tubes do a decent job. I don't see how any tube amp manufacturer could offer an amp that doesn't use reasonably price tubes that are readily available and sound good.

From my own personal experience and the long history of this thread and the other two, I think it is evident that significant improvement can be achieved through tube rolling, particularly with good synergy between driver and power tubes.

I, personally, don't understand how each new tube can bring such "astronomical"  improvements. For me I think I would have to build my own auditorium and tweak it carefully to achieve such a dramatic improvement from the stock tubes. But I suppose if such improvements are consistently possible for the person experiencing such improvements that is all that really matters.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2,905 of 11,833
I’m struggling with arrangements and marriage between drivers and powers synergy on ELISE. Maybe it’s my own point of view, but I found that Powers have more ability for treble and space and Drivers for lows and bass. Any concordance or disagreement with this? Now I have Chatham’s (instead of 2+2 EL3N) and Sylvania 6F8G as drivers (as well from Felix options) and listening to the new album of Wim Mertens – Dust Of Truths and this marriage work special 

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,906 of 11,833
  I’m struggling with arrangements and marriage between drivers and powers synergy on ELISE. Maybe it’s my own point of view, but I found that Powers have more ability for treble and space and Drivers for lows and bass. Any concordance or disagreement with this? Now I have Chatham’s (instead of 2+2 EL3N) and Sylvania 6F8G as drivers (as well from Felix options) and listening to the new album of Wim Mertens – Dust Of Truths and this marriage work special 

Hi f-r...I doubt there's any hard and fast rule here, alas - so much depends on factors other than the particular tubes used of course...signal source; DAC (unless vinyl!!); cables; headphones etc....even one's mains power supply lol! Not to mention one's ears!!  This is where trial and error can be the only real arbiter for each individual, and which is precisely the appeal of tube amps, of course...especially in an amp with Elise's flexibility! We are all therefore on very shaky ground indeed when trying to make recommendations LOL!
redface.gif
tongue.gif
...Many of us have spent many happy(?!!) hours (and a fair bit of money!) experimenting with different combinations before being able to narrow down to favourites - this is the "Never Ending Journey" that many refer to in head-fi land, and comes with mixed blessings!
wink_face.gif
. But is one most of us harbour no regrets for...indeed, can bring an immensely satisfying, edifying and positive experience - especially when in the company of those here...
biggrin.gif
...I wish you all the best in your own journey....CJ

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,907 of 11,833

wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

i thought about the oled ... but $7k cdn for the 65" e6 ... that was way too much shuck to swallow.  so i'm very happy with the 8500 ... blacks are very black, way super contrast, literally no light bleed at the edges and only minimal bloom with white text on black background.  a momentary & small blooming artifact (very, very occasional incident) does not bother me.  so it is almost perfect (so far) for my needs.  & finally, even tho glossy screen, in my seating location there is almost no visible reflection.

i like the chathams in the elise, but in my asl tube amp (1 driver, 1 output tube), my (prior) osram left no doubt as to which was superior.  as to the russian, i haven't tried them but if i was i would opt for very old stock

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,909 of 11,833
No one believed in me when I ran stock tubes for good 6 months and did not believe in tube rolling :p LOL

I think, with this revelation, new buyers shouldn't worry about expensive tube rolling at all. However, I will always back up Chatham 6AS7G, and EL3N love. My all time favorite sounding tubes.

GEC 6AS7G is on its way, and I am up for a surprise :D

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,910 of 11,833
  No one believed in me when I ran stock tubes for good 6 months and did not believe in tube rolling :p LOL

I think, with this revelation, new buyers shouldn't worry about expensive tube rolling at all. However, I will always back up Chatham 6AS7G, and EL3N love. My all time favorite sounding tubes.

GEC 6AS7G is on its way, and I am up for a surprise :D

must be a heavy bird ... having a hard time getting off the runway.  
i wonder how UT is faring with the slotted bendix?  that was some fast delivery.
i sent yours only 1 day later, but the posties decided to take a 3-day weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back