Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #61 of 542
Thanks for the quick response. Is there a section on your web page comparing your own amps side by side? I couldn’t find it

Also, for USA customers is upscale our only option ?

I am from Audiophile-Heaven, a reviews site, I don't represent Feliks, so I don't know the answer to either of those questions :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #64 of 542
Just got the Echo, a few quick impressions:

- I love the build quality. The amp is massive and does not budge, which means when I accidentally yank my cable, the jack pops out instead of dragging the whole rig with it. Also, I love how the volume knob is massive and oh so smooooooth.

- this sounds very similar to a solid state, I've used my phone mic to level match the Objective 2 and Echo to compare them, and they sound almost identical (in terms of frequency response). This is both good and bad because this means this amp doesn't soften the bass or roll off treble like tubes with poorer quality tube amps, but the lack of coloration also means that it's pretty boring in terms of it being an upgrade.

- outside of frequency response, the Echo does do a few things pretty well, most noticeably better separation and smoother bass.

I wanna get started on tube rolling asap. Does anyone have any recommendations and/or links to websites where I can get some in North America?

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #65 of 542
Just got the Echo, a few quick impressions:

- I love the build quality. The amp is massive and does not budge, which means when I accidentally yank my cable, the jack pops out instead of dragging the whole rig with it. Also, I love how the volume knob is massive and oh so smooooooth.

- this sounds very similar to a solid state, I've used my phone mic to level match the Objective 2 and Echo to compare them, and they sound almost identical (in terms of frequency response). This is both good and bad because this means this amp doesn't soften the bass or roll off treble like tubes with poorer quality tube amps, but the lack of coloration also means that it's pretty boring in terms of it being an upgrade.

- outside of frequency response, the Echo does do a few things pretty well, most noticeably better separation and smoother bass.

I wanna get started on tube rolling asap. Does anyone have any recommendations and/or links to websites where I can get some in North America?
Tube World Express, and Upscale Audio, are my go to places to buy tubes in the U.S. Both of these sellers actually listen to the tubes during testing, for noise and microphonics. They are more expensive, but you know you are getting a good tube. Ebay is a crap shoot, and should be the last place you look for tubes, until you learn how to find the good ones and good sellers.

A good first NOS tube, is the Amperex 7308 gold pin USA. This tube is even top to bottom, and is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #69 of 542
This is a gorgeous looking and sounding amp. It works really well with planars.

DSC_3245_result.jpg

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #71 of 542
unfortunatly with empyrean i get distortion when i raise the volume a bit... but it makes my zmf sings like a bird during spring time
Could it be an issue with your Empyrean? Does your DAC have a fixed or variable output? My unit sounds very clean with everything I tested so far.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #72 of 542
For those who own or spent some time with this amp, what have you compared it with ? Do you think it is worth the price ? I guess that is not a good question. Are you happy with it, may be more in line ? I have seen it online for close to $700 us dollars, so I was wondering as that is starting to reach my budget. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome, thanks !

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #73 of 542
For those who own or spent some time with this amp, what have you compared it with ? Do you think it is worth the price ? I guess that is not a good question. Are you happy with it, may be more in line ? I have seen it online for close to $700 us dollars, so I was wondering as that is starting to reach my budget. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome, thanks !

It absolutely worth the money if you use it with hi impedance hps. I compared it with his older brother epsressivo mk2, and many others amps like woo audio wa22, schiit stuff etc

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #74 of 542
Could it be an issue with your Empyrean? Does your DAC have a fixed or variable output? My unit sounds very clean with everything I tested so far.

Fixed ar 2,1.
Simply the meze is 32ohm, it doesn't have the juice to get some punch. With zmf is the best you can get with the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back