Feeling old and discombobulated, looking for phono stage/headphone/ADC? while awaiting int. amp repair.
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hohmslice

New Head-Fier
Problem:
Can't enjoy record collection due to integrated speaker amps on the glitch, 6+mo bench wait for repair.

Setup:
Turntable (Dual 1219)
Integrated Speaker Amps (Sansui 5000 primary) (Stereotech 1200 backup)
Speakers (Bozak Rhapsody B-401 8ohm 15/60w)
Headphones (Meze 99 Classics, Senn HD25-1 II)

Available Equipment:
harmon/kardon AVR65
iMac Retina 5K, 2019

Temporary Solution:
1219 -> Sansui phono -> Sansui tape -> h/k line in -> headphone jack*

*this solution sucks so bad, sound is baseless and lacking everywhere.

I’m in the middle of an ongoing series of moves, so I’m trying to keep the bulk of my music library and equipment in storage until the final move. I’ve decided to use this as an opportunity to dive into headphones and pare down my record collection listening to as many as possible and recording the rarer ones. After decades of audio bliss and trouble free operation with the Dual/Sansui/Bozak combination, I've had no need to keep up with advancements over the years so I feel limited in my knowledge of modern advancements. My budget is likely under $500 as I just want something to get me through the wait of getting the vintage amps repaired as well as hopefully give me a way to record. I think this leads me to a need for a phono stage, a headphone amp/jack (my headphones are low imp, 32), and bonus for ADC that plays with a Mac. I see things like the Cambridge Alva Duo which lacks the computer connection but would give me the phono stage and headphone for pretty cheap. My concern comes from my temporary solution. When I plug my phones into the h/k, the sound is weak and thin. Not like the signal isn't line level, but there is very little bottom end and sounds very lacking. Plug into the Sansui and the world opens up and bottom end shakes your eyeballs with the Meze. Same with CD source: Sansui headphone = wow, h/k headphone = meh. Why is that? Anyway, trying to find a fix while waiting for the repair and hoping to add recording ability.

What's wrong with the Sansui you ask? I think one of the boards has bad caps; my right stereo channel isn't there—speaker or headphone. Is that something a layman could fix safely?

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Interesting thread.Its nice to see someone who is happy and doesnt feel the need to move on.
Obviously you need to fix the amps and you will be back to normal.Have you got someone in mind for this?
Have you thought about using an old i phone 6 and plugging your headphones into that.
I have an i phone 7 and have hd58x headphones.This sounds very good.
Im sure some expert on here can point you in the right direction but you may be surprised at the sound from an iphone 6 or 7 that you can get cheap from e bay.
Headphones (Meze 99 Classics, Senn HD25-1 II) im not sure if these will sound ok through the phone though and you may need an amp.
It will be still cheap though and can add a new dimension to your music listening.
Congrats on the vinyl method though as that is the best way to go.Im pure digital but i envy the vinyl buffs..:)

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you, yes, I’ve gone through the gear acquisition syndromes and pushed the laws of diminishing returns enough in other hobbies over the decades that I’ve learned it’s a fool’s errand. I’m much happier keeping it simple and stopping as soon as my hair gets blown back. I think it’s called contentment, and it’s something you have to work at—like love. Guess I’m feeling philosophical this morning, lol.
So yes, the headphones sound really good on my iPhone 11, such a relief. Still can’t figure out the common denominator linking headphone jacks that sound thin, versus ones that sound rich and full bodied with power. If I could get what my Sansui gives me, in a little box?—I’d be forever grateful. Maybe that’s how I should ask, for a Sansui 5000 in-a-box…with Mac connectivity lol.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Parasound ZPhono USB seems like it might be what you're looking for? It's what I've been using for a few years and sounds good to me. Drawback is that there's no control for the volume on the headphone output-- it's comfortable with my HD 650, but it might be too loud with more sensitive/lower impedance 'phones. If you wanted to get creative, you could actually listen to your turntable via your MacBook, which I've done before. It also sounded fine to me, but maybe my standards aren't as high as yours.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Also, about digitizing your vinyl... That was the reason I bought the ZPhono, but it became more of a pain than it was worth for me. It would take upwards of two hours just to record one album. Granted, I was being kind of OCD about labeling, etc., and Audacity is a bit cumbersome / I think there are easier options. If I had to do it again, I'd probably spend more time researching the best way the digitize my collection and consider other options like a digitizing service ($$$) or simply finding digital downloads.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Sounds like the Korg DS-DAc-10R ADC/DAC/Phono/Headphone amp is exactly what you need. Available from Amazon. Audiogate software is included but I recommend VinylStudio for ripping your LP collection for its superior interface and denoising.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back