"Feel the music"
Apr 8, 2016 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bianchip37

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I like listen music and when i get home i turn on the pc and listen music on background while surf on internet but i don't feel and don't get emotions why ? It's time to get speakers ? I listen with headphones but i think Metal sounds better on speakers than Headphones.

May 13, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 6
I think that picture give more emotion then sound although song words can. Think that people who can feel the music and have emotion are rare. 

May 20, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Depends on your intention when listening to music and what type of music and how complex.

Certainly with pop music (top 40) which is geared towards simplistic 12 year old minds, it does not take much of any attention and can be "appreciated" (for lack of a better term) as background music.  This is not an insult or slam, it's a proven fact to suck in the young song downloading public.   But then there is a lot of other music out there that REQUIRES active listening and really paying attention to what is going on in order to appreciate it.....and once it clicks in and you get it...it's a fascinating revelation/feeling.  A lot of the music I listen to I want to do with undivided attention on the best audio gear.  So for me, music is an active time consuming endeaver.
So it all depends.....

May 21, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 6
I feel music so intensely it sets my entire body in motion - despite chronic Inflammatory Arthritis which causes continuous intense pain throughout my body. Music has such a powerful effect on me it can make the pain almost irrelevant for hours at a time. I shut my eyes to intensify the feeling and become oblivious to my surroundings to the extent that I can be completely unaware of someone entering the room until they touch me - a shocking experience for both parties!

Pressing the Stop button when I'm "in the groove" is an emotionally painful experience: My mind and body starts tying itself in knots if I'm denied the Play button for more than a few seconds; I can't think or take in anything I'm being told and my arms and legs start squirming together as if I desperately need to pee!

It can be as powerful as a sexual relationship or a drug addiction and has been like this for as long as I can remember. However, improving the quality of my gear and its musical fidelity; both Hi-Fi and Head-Fi - has greatly increased the intensity of the experience - to the extent that now an outside observer would probably think I have a severe movement disorder as my entire body is driven - jacked - by the music!

But don't get me wrong, not all music has such a profound effect on me! Yet even when circumstance forces basic pulp pop music - or whatever - onto me, my subconscious will find something in there to drive my mind and body reasonably happily! In fact, even if there's no music to listen to, a beat will form in my head from my surroundings - cars, birdsong, whatever - and literally "move" me! I can't stop it. It's like being in love - it can be overwhelming, but I don't want it to stop - ever!

So, Yes, I FEEL Music!

May 21, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 6
I should add that I do NEED silence - probably due to the intensity with which music hits me.

My favourite music genre is Metal, although I like a variety of sub-genres which include bands like Slayer, Machine Head, Dragonforce, and Helloween, but the general rule is that it has to be pretty powerful stuff. I love Dubstep, Hardcore Dance music, with bands like Pendulum and The Prodigy, but with increasingly higher-end gear (and increasing age!) I'm enjoying more Classical music too. However, it is all dynamic, intense, and powerful, and it's that intensity which really drives me and makes me Feel it. Listening through headphones usually makes music feel far more of a personal experience for me too.

Some music I like because of powerful emotional lyrics, more than just the intensity of the overall genre / sound. So there's the intensity and dynamic aspects which I really feel, plus emotional lyrics, and some "pop" music has the latter. My favourite band whose lyrics and mood changes, using major and minor keys, are ABBA. Many people think it's just meaningless pop, but if you feel the way the mood changes along with the lyrics, it doesn't get much more intense and emotional than ABBA - especially if you know the history of the band while they were recording and playing their music.

Going back to the need for silence, I'm very fortunate to live in a fairly rural area where it is very quiet at night, so I'm usually awake well into the night, free of the distractions which get a beat going in my head which makes me either dive into a listening session, or jump towards my Music Computer / DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to record something. I FEEL the sounds that I play or create with synthesizers (physical or virtual) too, but I can't do that for more than a few minutes at a time due to my Arthritis. So whether it's playing or listening, I really feel music deeply, but I need silence too!

I would be very interested to hear whether anyone else Feels music as intensely. I used to think everyone felt music the way I do, and was puzzled when I found that most people don't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back