feedback please
Apr 20, 2004 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

md01

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I ordered a pair of DT250-80 from bhphotovideo ($142) and finally received them yesterday. They sound good for my purposes (music thru pc soundcard). However, while I was waiting for them, I became interested in ATH A900. So the question I have is: are the A900 really that much better than DT250 (unamped, pc source)? Should I spend another 50 bucks and get A900? Or do I have a case of head-fi-gitis? All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Apr 20, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 11
The DT250-80 are great headphones with clearly an audiophile grade sound packaged in a closed headphone. They are WAY smaller than the A900s and a lot of people have complained about treble harshness issues with the A900. I really am quite suspicious about the A900s if they have "treble harshness," the DT250-80s have a very detailed, albeit rolled off treble and a flat, neutral sound which is quite amazing for a closed phone. Their only weakness is slightly overboosted upper midrange and lower treble. In spite of this I would rate them as being one of the greatest closed phones.

I have not heard the A900s; someone should mail me some audio technicas so I can compare them to HD580s, 600s, 650s, DT250-80s, DT770s, DT880s, et al.

Why would you buy A900s without much if any listening to the DT250-80s? And unamped, why switch to another phone?

Apr 20, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Geek - I am planning to buy a pair of the ATH900s so have been reading about them extensively here on Head-Fi. I don't recall the complaints about harsh treble...I must be only reading positive threads!
frown.gif
I was looking forward to having some pretty blue headphones with great soundstage for use with my computer set up, but I don't want a harsh sound...

Unfortunately, since the search function still hasn't been restored, I can't look up any such comments. Do you by any chance have a thread you can link me to??

As always, like many of us, I am frustrated by being unable to try out headphones before buying them. Thus far I've had great luck with my purchases after thoroughly researching them here, so I want to read both the positive and the negative opinions.

Apr 20, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 11
While I prematurely like the sound of DT250s (they are 2 days old now), after reading through many threads, reviews, etc I'm coming to consensus that A900 has an edge over DT250 (somehow, in some way, better than...). What I can't determine for sure is whether that edge is worth the extra 50+ dollars and the hassle of returning 250s and buying 900s.

Quote:

Why would you buy A900s without much if any listening to the DT250-80s?

I have only 7 days to return DT250. So, If I have any doubt in my mind about keeping them, I want to explore all possibilities. And this is a great place to do so.

Quote:

And unamped, why switch to another phone?

My goal is to find out whether it is infact not worth doing so... So, in your opinion, unamped, it won't make any difference?

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
Should I spend another 50 bucks and get A900? Or do I have a case of head-fi-gitis?

I was in pretty much your situation a couple months ago; I even bought my 250-80s from B&H, and then after buying them was very anxious as to whether I'd bought the "right" headphones (this is what happens when you read head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
). Personally, I stuck with the 250-80s, and here's why (in no particular order):

* $50 is $50
* I like my headphones to be fun and long-listening, and I am easily fatigued by trebles. There is no danger of the DT250-80s being anywhere near "bright", while A900s have had that mentioned of them a few times.
* I was pleased at the low profile, reasonable (but not extreme) isolation -- I wear these at work -- and overall comfort of the DT250s. The A900s, at least, are much bigger, and while I'm not particularly self-conscious about my headphones, low profile is good if you have it.
* The DT250s simply sounded very good to me, especially for alternative rock and electronic, which are 65% of my listening.

It's really easy reading head-fi to feel that you're always missing out on something. But, if you like the way these things sound, just stick with them for a while, and take a break from reading head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the interest of full disclosure, the thing I've decided that my DT250-80s lack is sufficient soundstage and acoustic "air" for good listening to concert-hall classical, jazz, and other live-sounding recordings. If you are listen to a lot of these kinds of recordings or are otherwise particularly sensitive to soundstaging, then maybe the DT250s are not ideal for you, as I think this is their greatest weakness. However, that's not to say that these are not all-around great closed headphones.

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 11
If you don't need a portability and planning on listenig strictly at home, then perhaps A900 is a better choice. They have really nice wide soundstage. But I may say that they might be harsh sometimes. I liked DT250 a lot, for the superior comfort and for the relaxing neutral sound.

Apr 20, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 11
MD,

Chances are that if you stay here long enough you will have more than 1 headphone.

If you wish to increase your enjoyment of your headphones, connect your sound card to a receiver, which you hopefully have laying around the house.

Chances are that if you sent them back you will lose a little money in shipping costs.There may be a restocking fee. Chances are that they will need to be cleaned / sterilised before being resold. So the gap will probably increase to $60, add shipping from Audiocubes, and the gap will probably increase to $70.

Your selection is a good choice as a beginner set. Don't be surprised if, after you buy the A900s, that the Beyers are relegated to "at work" duty.

Try not to get too hyped up over buying another set of headphones. We all second guess each purchase. Now, what if you send the BEyers back and then buy the A900s and find that you do not like them as much? You may not be able to send them back. If that is the case, perhaps it would have been more prudent to purchase from HeadRoom.

When it comes to Head-Fi, keep repeating to yourself, "It's only money".

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
MD,
Chances are that if you stay here long enough you will have more than 1 headphone.

Funny you should say that, I came here a while ago looking for a good pair of phones that could be used in my dorm on the comp. and portably on my iHP. I wound up buying A500's for my comp. and will sometime be getting canalphones or such for the portable. Expensive hobby indeed.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by slchang
I was in pretty much your situation a couple months ago; I even bought my 250-80s from B&H, and then after buying them was very anxious as to whether I'd bought the "right" headphones (this is what happens when you read head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
). Personally, I stuck with the 250-80s, and here's why (in no particular order):

* $50 is $50
* I like my headphones to be fun and long-listening, and I am easily fatigued by trebles. There is no danger of the DT250-80s being anywhere near "bright", while A900s have had that mentioned of them a few times.
* I was pleased at the low profile, reasonable (but not extreme) isolation -- I wear these at work -- and overall comfort of the DT250s. The A900s, at least, are much bigger, and while I'm not particularly self-conscious about my headphones, low profile is good if you have it.
* The DT250s simply sounded very good to me, especially for alternative rock and electronic, which are 65% of my listening.

It's really easy reading head-fi to feel that you're always missing out on something. But, if you like the way these things sound, just stick with them for a while, and take a break from reading head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the interest of full disclosure, the thing I've decided that my DT250-80s lack is sufficient soundstage and acoustic "air" for good listening to concert-hall classical, jazz, and other live-sounding recordings. If you are listen to a lot of these kinds of recordings or are otherwise particularly sensitive to soundstaging, then maybe the DT250s are not ideal for you, as I think this is their greatest weakness. However, that's not to say that these are not all-around great closed headphones.

Indeed, your story is VERY similar.

Anyway, thanks to all, for feedback. I'll most likely keep these cans. I had more time to listen and there isn't anything about them that I particularly dislike. Infact, they sound very good to my untrained ears and the overall size/construction is to my taste. I guess, that's the reason I ordered these in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back