FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
May 6, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4,726 of 5,201
The DragonFly Red should be low-noise enough, but I would not recommend using the S8 series out of a 2-volt amp without an independently adjustable volume control. One glitchy burst of static at 100% with 112 dB/mW sensitivity IEMs is like having a pistol go off near your ear. If you insist on using the DFR, I'd suggest pairing it with an IEMatch. Don't end up like this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/dfkv7j/psa_ultra_sensitive_iems_are_dangerous/

I'd recommend either the ES100 or BTR3 instead depending on your needs regarding build quality and feature set. The former feature a better EQ implementation and a volume limiter, while the latter has better build quality, a more durable USB-C port for wired use, and AptX LL support.
Thanks so much for the reply man! And wow, i've never heard of those two bluetooth DACs. I was actually thinking of grabbing the M Audio nano when I get my new IEMs. How do you think that compares to these two?

May 6, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #4,728 of 5,201
Thanks so much for the reply man! And wow, i've never heard of those two bluetooth DACs. I was actually thinking of grabbing the M Audio nano when I get my new IEMs. How do you think that compares to these two?

They don't provide any measurements, which doesn't inspire much confidence, and you specifically want a very low noise floor and output impedance for the S8F/P. It might be fine, but you'll be choosing mystery meat over known good quantities.

May 6, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #4,729 of 5,201
Yes, S8f is a definite upgrade if your source doesn't provide high voltage. FLC is much quieter i.e less to no hissing.
They don't provide any measurements, which doesn't inspire much confidence, and you specifically want a very low noise floor and output impedance for the S8F/P. It might be fine, but you'll be choosing mystery meat over known good quantities.
Ok great. It's so weird how there are so many mainstream sites writing about that Audiolab DAC and nothing on Head Fi about it. But yeah, I'll be switching it up from my dragonfly to a bluetooth DAC...looks like the new FiiO BTR3k will be the one. Thanks so much Faegeg! Now I just decide if Im gonna grab the Fearless, and wait it out and see what people say about the ThieAudio Legacy 9 once they've been out for a little longer. A lot of people seem to be gushing over that company's $1k model so perhaps this one for 550 will be nice too.

May 6, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #4,730 of 5,201
Does anyone know if my used pair of S8F’s will play nice with 2020 DX160 I have acquired recently? They’re doing a UPS tour of the states, coming in from Washington State to Pennsylvania.

May 6, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #4,731 of 5,201
Does anyone know if my used pair of S8F’s will play nice with 2020 DX160 I have acquired recently? They’re doing a UPS tour of the states, coming in from Washington State to Pennsylvania.

I use both (S8F and DX160). Better with balanced port, but good results anyway.

May 11, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #4,732 of 5,201
Finally my S8F’s arrive tomorrow, needless to say I’m pumped. I’ll drop a post with early impressions.
:headphones::musical_score::control_knobs:🥁🎸📥🛸:vulcan::sunglasses:

May 11, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #4,734 of 5,201
Used from this site, the member shipped from Washington state to Pennsylvania via UPS ground so it feels like they are being walked in!!

May 12, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #4,735 of 5,201
Hi All

I currently have a FiiO M11 Pro and FiiO FH7 IEM. The IEM's have developed a fault and are going back. Do you think I would like the S8 Freedom? I know the reviewer Booko did using the standard M11.

Regards

Darren

May 12, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,736 of 5,201
Received mine today so its early days but I’m impressed with the whole package especially the tuning... I’ll post more after a time but matched with the DX160 they are quiet and have stellar sound! I’m gonna enjoy these for sure!
:vulcan: :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

May 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #4,737 of 5,201
Received mine today so its early days but I’m impressed with the whole package especially the tuning... I’ll post more after a time but matched with the DX160 they are quiet and have stellar sound! I’m gonna enjoy these for sure!
:vulcan: :sunglasses: :thumbsup:
comparison with the Audiosense T800 would be nice :smirk:

May 14, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #4,738 of 5,201
comparison with the Audiosense T800 would be nice :smirk:
Waiting on balanced cable that matches T800’s so I can better evaluate. The S8F is basically the perfect tuning for me, its got great everything and the dynamics are incredible. T800 has a touch too much low end and these have perfect amount for me so thats my first observation. I’ll dive deeper when cable comes supposedly tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back