FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Apr 28, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #4,696 of 5,201
Aren't the multi-flange tips on the SE846 too bassy then? I've been interested in the 8Z as a way to gain some clarity and neutrality in comparison to the 846. Lately I've been finding the bass on the Shures a bit fatiguing.

I use the white filter, and cut the 3rd flange off. With just the 2 wider flanges, the isolation is the same, yet the highs clear up quite a lot. I also cut some off of the base of the ear tip. Good question. I personally haven’t found the se846 bass too much, even compared to the Etymotics. I am a bit of a basshead in general though. The “specialized” IEMs for bass/drums use DDs, and the bass is boosted MUCH more than the se846. I’m looking at the S8Z primarily for a very detailed IEM to listen to music with, and perhaps I can use it as a stage monitor, but stage use isn’t my main priority, since I’m content with the Shures for that purpose.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #4,697 of 5,201
I use the white filter, and cut the 3rd flange off. With just the 2 wider flanges, the isolation is the same, yet the highs clear up quite a lot. I also cut some off of the base of the ear tip. Good question. I personally haven’t found the se846 bass too much, even compared to the Etymotics. I am a bit of a basshead in general though. The “specialized” IEMs for bass/drums use DDs, and the bass is boosted MUCH more than the se846. I’m looking at the S8Z primarily for a very detailed IEM to listen to music with, and perhaps I can use it as a stage monitor, but stage use isn’t my main priority, since I’m content with the Shures for that purpose.

I think that explains it. I hadn't realized how bassy drummer earphones were. Also, I'm not much of a basshead and use the white filter and SpinFits. My pair gains some warmth too from a slight impedance mismatch with my DAP that results in losing a few db out of the mids. Really, it's that sub-bass punch that can make them fatiguing for me.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #4,698 of 5,201
Hey man! I'm a music industry professional and have owned several pairs of IEMs for stage use as well as casual listening. I've reviewed quite a few too. You can't go wrong with Fearless' S8 series. I reviewed the Fearless S8F (link) a few months back and still love it! I can help if you have any specific questions, PM me.

@FcConstruct is right. These are WAY better than the ones you have mentioned in your post. :)
Agreed, S8F/P are probably better for stage use. S8Z lacks required amount of bass quantity for a live setting imo.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #4,699 of 5,201
I have the Fearless S6Pro and I can tell you that is going to be much better than those two IEMs you listed. In fact, a lot of cheaper IEMs will sound better. The Moondrop Starfield or Etymotic ER2 comes to mind for something ~$150.

IMHO for stage monitoring, the most important thing really is isolation. As far as mixing goes... you don't really want to be mixing with in-ears. It's good for a quick reference but shouldn't be the main mix standard.

You are right about the isolation and about using them to mix. I just have the same problem most people have. Which is, I cant really use my speakers to their full extent since my room is small and only partially treated. I also usually can't start to work on music til 9 PM.

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #4,700 of 5,201
You are right about the isolation and about using them to mix. I just have the same problem most people have. Which is, I cant really use my speakers to their full extent since my room is small and only partially treated. I also usually can't start to work on music til 9 PM.
as you are in Florida have you looked at Inearz universals?

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,701 of 5,201
How does the S6Pro compare with the S8F/P/Z with regards to microdetails and overall resolution, particularly in the mids and highs? The S6Pro is intriguing as a DF neutral tuned reference IEM.

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,702 of 5,201
as you are in Florida have you looked at Inearz universals?

I have not, although I have looked into Clear Tune monitors. The Clear Tune stuff seems really good but I just can’t justify the price for myself. They have an AS 7 model which seems to be pretty decent value but it’s on sale for 950, normally 1200. Their flagship is 2k. I’m sure their stuff is very nice, it’s just out of my price range. I’d also really like to go side by side with some of these Fearless models and see if the price jump is fair.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #4,704 of 5,201
Stock Green Tip... What size is it? Is it Medium or is it Large?

I'm looking to get some Final Audio Tips, but I'm not sure if I'm Medium or Large... the Green tips are a nice size for me.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #4,705 of 5,201
Stock Green Tip... What size is it? Is it Medium or is it Large?

I'm looking to get some Final Audio Tips, but I'm not sure if I'm Medium or Large... the Green tips are a nice size for me.
You can always order a pack with all 5 sizes of Final Type Es.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #4,706 of 5,201
My New S8F's sound very sharp / harsh in the highs, at times, during certain songs... Will this smooth out after burn-in?

It's the high mids peak, at about 3,5 kHz. You can try using Sony tips (these works), and reducing 1 or 2 dBs at 3,5 kHz with parametric EQ.

You can also use a smaller size of tips, so that the insert is as deep as possible, and thus the bass increases and the high peaks are transferred to higher and less annoying frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #4,707 of 5,201
My New S8F's sound very sharp / harsh in the highs, at times, during certain songs... Will this smooth out after burn-in?
In my experience the source can play a big role in the perceived harshness of the upper frequencies, what are you using?
Additionally you could try to reduce the volume a little, that also helps.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,708 of 5,201
You can always order a pack with all 5 sizes of Final Type Es.

I couldn't find that on Amazon, where did you buy that pack? It sounds perfect to find the right size / seal / insertion depth.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,709 of 5,201
In my experience the source can play a big role in the perceived harshness of the upper frequencies, what are you using?
Additionally you could try to reduce the volume a little, that also helps.

I'm using a HiBy R5... Have any pointers on MSEB settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back