FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #4,426 of 5,201
I am currently in Hong Kong and there is a building that mainly selling portable audio and digital cameras. So I get to try all the amps within the building.

I even tested the Sony WM1Z and Fiio M11 Pro both do have hiss at Ibasso DX160 level. It may be the cable is faulty or 4.4mm cable really not suitable for S8 Freedom
I think that there is a fundamental problem here. Most DAPs optimize their balanced outputs primarily for maximum power output, as well as stero crosstalk etc.Therefore they are massively overpowered for driving sensitive monitors such as the S8 with it's 113db/mw sensitivity rating. First, I would suggest trying out the single-ended outputs for these DAPs as they usually have lower power output and output impedance, meaning less hiss. Or you can try devices with less driving power that may better suit the Fearless S8.

Totally agree. I tried 3.5mm cable connected to Samsung S9+ and the hiss is reduced. Definitely will try again with the unbalanced cable.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #4,427 of 5,201
Totally agree. I tried 3.5mm cable connected to Samsung S9+ and the hiss is reduced. Definitely will try again with the unbalanced cable.

Please do, thanx.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,428 of 5,201
Oh wow man that's incredible, thank you very much. Where did you find all these DAPs for this testing purpose? Thumbs up!

As your findings say it's just like I figured, no DAP have perfect black background and that's a shame, I was interested in M11 for its twin card slots... But what can I do now, I guess either I'll invest in ifi iematch and M11 or I'll have V50 (or next V60) and 1tb card when price goes down along with ES100 and Quidelix 5K.
I rarely stream music because Im not connected always. I'm not in a hurry but it's good to know. Cheers

I have the M11Pro, which is essentially an M11 but with more/faster RAM and an AK4497 DAC instead of an AK4493. Slightly more expensive than the M11 but the DAC performance is warmer and better imo.
I see you're also based in Malta, which is where I'm originally from. You can get aliexpress to ship directly there, as I did - and there are a few good bargains left over from boxing day if you're keen.

Or get the iBasso DX220 - that's my favourite DAP at the moment but around 2x the price of the M11 :)

Happy shopping.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #4,429 of 5,201
New photos of Fearless S8Z on Penon Audio reveal an intriguing tuning chamber similar to AMCE8.
Also it seems there are quite a few differences from S8F/P, including the tuning chamber and an almost entirely different driver setup with vented bass drivers.
They could be a new IEM altogether, but it looks like Fearless went with the S8 name for marketing purposes (see Andromeda Gold).

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 10.09.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 10.09.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 10.09.55 AM.png

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,431 of 5,201
I have the M11Pro, which is essentially an M11 but with more/faster RAM and an AK4497 DAC instead of an AK4493. Slightly more expensive than the M11 but the DAC performance is warmer and better imo.
I see you're also based in Malta, which is where I'm originally from. You can get aliexpress to ship directly there, as I did - and there are a few good bargains left over from boxing day if you're keen.

Or get the iBasso DX220 - that's my favourite DAP at the moment but around 2x the price of the M11 :)

Happy shopping.

If I'm buying DAC it has to have 2 card slots otherwise its not very interesting to me. I know that's rare nowadays. Most likely I'll go with LG V series for 2 reasons, I lately rarely use full sized headphones, the ones I had I sold them and IEMs I have and planning to get don't need lot of power. Plus 1k for dx220 it's not exactly in my price range. As well what @Marcusch testing proved synergy between S8F and high powered sources are not so great and complete noise free source is absolutely must for me, so it's only logical to stick with phone and ES100 combo.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #4,432 of 5,201
Please do, thanx.

Today I managed to try below DAP with 3.5mm unbalanced cable on S8 Freedom
Sony ZX507: very minimal hissing. You need to focus on it or in a very quiet place to be able to notice it. It's warm and less muddy this time.

Ibasso DX 160: hissing is noticeable. On second try it may be too bright for S8 Freedom.

Astell & Kern SR15: hissing is noticeable. slight more than Sony ZX507 but less than Ibasso DX 160.

The shop assistant is really nice to let me try a lot of other stuff even I didn't buy and single item from the shop. He also explained to me that it is quite impossible to have dead silent given the high sensitivy of S8 Freedom. Also another headfi who is trying some DAP in the shop happens to know people in Fearless Audio and forward my IEM hissing issues to him. And ask me to send back for checking.

I felt that Hong Kong headfi community is very friendly and helpful. Everyone is willing to share and help because they are really crazy about portable audio.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #4,433 of 5,201
Today I managed to try below DAP with 3.5mm unbalanced cable on S8 Freedom
Sony ZX507: very minimal hissing. You need to focus on it or in a very quiet place to be able to notice it. It's warm and less muddy this time.

Ibasso DX 160: hissing is noticeable. On second try it may be too bright for S8 Freedom.

Astell & Kern SR15: hissing is noticeable. slight more than Sony ZX507 but less than Ibasso DX 160.

The shop assistant is really nice to let me try a lot of other stuff even I didn't buy and single item from the shop. He also explained to me that it is quite impossible to have dead silent given the high sensitivy of S8 Freedom. Also another headfi who is trying some DAP in the shop happens to know people in Fearless Audio and forward my IEM hissing issues to him. And ask me to send back for checking.

I felt that Hong Kong headfi community is very friendly and helpful. Everyone is willing to share and help because they are really crazy about portable audio.

I don't think your set is faulty, I have the same issue and as I'm finding out now some more people have reported the same. Like I said from my experience the only totally black source is ES100 and small dongle Meizu hifi dac.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #4,434 of 5,201
If you guys wanna eliminate hiss but don't want to buy a new DAP or dac/amp, take a look at IEMatch.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #4,435 of 5,201
I'm aware of Iematch. I'm just not sure does it change sound signature. At the moment I'm looking into less sensitive iems.

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,436 of 5,201
New photos of Fearless S8Z on Penon Audio reveal an intriguing tuning chamber similar to AMCE8.
Also it seems there are quite a few differences from S8F/P, including the tuning chamber and an almost entirely different driver setup with vented bass drivers.
They could be a new IEM altogether, but it looks like Fearless went with the S8 name for marketing purposes (see Andromeda Gold).

I wanted the AMCE8, but couldn't justify it's price!
It's nice to know that the S8Z has the tuning chamber similar to AMCE8!

I'll be ordering the SZ8! ( I have high hopes for it )
DId anyone else order the new SZ8? Just out of curiosity

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #4,439 of 5,201
s8z graph from official taobao
O1CN01uVW2zC23BtNt8VHOg_!!75017218.jpg
We'll find out if Crin's measurement shows similar results. Above measurement shows that the upper frequencies are tilted differently than the other S8 (F and P). The intensitity of the frequencies get higher as reaching to the mid treble. This results in mid treble standing out greater than upper-mids. Whereas, the S8F, the upper-mids stood out more.

If we compare to bass level, treble will stand out quite a bit actually. Bass looks on a neutral side, doesn't look bassy.

Examples of iems that has this type of tilt are Inear Prophile-8, Elysium, Anole VX. Personally not a fan of such tilt as I prefer the more upper-mids focused tilt like ER4, Harman, Diffuse, etc..

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #4,440 of 5,201
Reporting back after trying below DAPs starting with the less hiss with S8 Freedom all using 4.4.mm balanced cable except for AK SR15.

Hiby R5: almost no noticeable hiss. However, the sound is the worst among the rest. Very tight soundstage, bass feel bloated and no control.

Sony ZX507: very minimal hiss and some not noticeable. Bass heavy and sometimes sounded muddy.

Fiio M11: there is hiss but is acceptable for my ears as it goes away once music started playing even on silent part of the track the hiss is acceptable. Sound quality is good but nothing that will make your feel wow.

Ibasso DX160: Noticeable hissing but I feel I like this sound quality the most. Wide soundstage and dynamic is really good.

Astell & Kern SR15: Noticeable hissing slightly more than DX160. It could be using an adapter 4.4 male to 2.5 female. So didn't test further for the sound signature.

Shanling M6: very noticeable hiss that is not acceptable to me. So no further testing the sound quality.

Adapter Fiio 4.4.mm to 2.5mm -> Ibasso DC01-> Samsung S9+: very loud hissing worse than all the above. Sound quality is on par with Fiio M11 and Ibasso DX160.

I wonder if either you may have a pair of defective S8F or it might be the 4.4 mm cable. I have had the chance to demo several Fearless models (S8F, S8P, S10, ACME8) with my DX160 and didn't hear any hissing. I do agree though that the soundstage and dynamic are the best with both S8F and S8P. The soundstage is slightly smaller with ACME8 and even smaller with S10. I didn't try the 4.4mm output on DX160 because I don't have the right cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back