FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,551 of 5,201
i dunno if there is a difference in sound , but the package with the metal case was the first batch, i asked fearless if i could get a metal case instead of this blue one... they replied that was "the old" package
That sound like a minor change rather than something more substantial like the many versions of the UE18. Thank you, that is helpful.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,552 of 5,201
I think they botched the order. Notice that the red and pink codes are only 1 number apart..

Sadly, it's not the first time there was some confusion in a Fearless order. Happened with my previous S5T order also.
I also think they used the B-2 (wine red) instead of B-3 (transparent pink), but they claim it's not the case so...

Tonally...I dunno. It kind of sounds like what everyone described it to be, but also not.
Definitely a bass boost that gives it a warm and full sound. Upper midrange boost as well.
But the details and treble extension is just average. It doesn't sparkle and twinkle like KXXS, DM6, iT01s, or even the Tinhifi T3. Upper midrange to "lower" treble area seems elevated, but after that it seems blunted/rolled off. Doesn't have that airy atmosphere feel as a result.
Layering and separation also is good, but not the best I've heard in ChiFi. DM7 seems better at that too. Soundstage is actually kind of large (maybe DM6 level?) but because of the boosted bass and vox, kind of a congested feeling?
It's a fun sound, but not what I expected from all of the reviews (which is also kind of good because I thought it would be too aggressive/hot. But it also means not the expected level of treble reach).

Both left and right are like this, so I don't think it's a build error (?). Did they suddenly decide to change the tuning? Or maybe I just had faulty expectations?

Also, Warriorpoet, you're right. I do hear some distortion sometimes with the original Fearless cable (which I got in 4.4 balanced). But not too much deviation in tonality from what I described when I change cables (I have 3 other 2 pins)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,553 of 5,201
Sadly, it's not the first time there was some confusion in a Fearless order. Happened with my previous S5T order also.
I also think they used the B-2 (wine red) instead of B-3 (transparent pink), but they claim it's not the case so...

Tonally...I dunno. It kind of sounds like what everyone described it to be, but also not.
Definitely a bass boost that gives it a warm and full sound. Upper midrange boost as well.
But the details and treble extension is just average. It doesn't sparkle and twinkle like KXXS, DM6, iT01s, or even the Tinhifi T3. Upper midrange to "lower" treble area seems elevated, but after that it seems blunted/rolled off.
Layering and separation also is good, but not the best I've heard in ChiFi. DM7 seems better at that too.
It's a fun sound, but not what I expected from all of the reviews (which is also kind of good because I thought it would be too aggressive/hot. But it also means not the expected level of treble reach).

Both left and right are like this, so I don't think it's a build error (?). Did they suddenly decide to change the tuning?

Also, Warriorpoet, you're right. I do hear some distortion sometimes with the original Fearless cable (which I got in 4.4 balanced). But not too much deviation in tonality from what I described.
That almost exactly describes my S8P before I replaced the cable. It was source dependent, and bad recordings masked it, but a new cable unleashed the beast, so to speak.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #2,554 of 5,201
I trade mine for an RHA CL2. Ultimately, the S8F isn't for me. For the metalheads, I really recommend the Sony XBA Z5. It was made for metal! (Not literally, but it's overall space, bass impact, and tonality lends itself to the genre quite naturally).

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #2,555 of 5,201

The color is obviously off. They're trying to play you out.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 4, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #2,556 of 5,201

But the details and treble extension is just average. It doesn't sparkle and twinkle like KXXS, DM6, iT01s, or even the Tinhifi T3. Upper midrange to "lower" treble area seems elevated, but after that it seems blunted/rolled off. Doesn't have that airy atmosphere feel as a result.
Layering and separation also is good, but not the best I've heard in ChiFi. DM7 seems better at that too. Soundstage is actually kind of large (maybe DM6 level?) but because of the boosted bass and vox, kind of a congested feeling?

Both left and right are like this, so I don't think it's a build error (?). Did they suddenly decide to change the tuning? Or maybe I just had faulty expectations?

Also, Warriorpoet, you're right. I do hear some distortion sometimes with the original Fearless cable (which I got in 4.4 balanced). But not too much deviation in tonality from what I described when I change cables (I have 3 other 2 pins)

9570FF3B-4B8E-4C0D-81C4-CAC17539094C.jpeg

I orderd both B2 (S8F) and B3 (S6Rui). I got the pink S6Rui for my wife. The one you got is definitely the B2 shell. I will take a better pictures of them later.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #2,557 of 5,201
The Sony XBA-Z5 is priced at $399 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/XBA-Z5-Balanced-Armature-Headphones-International/dp/B00PF89YXG

With that it’s priced very close to the Fearless S6 Rui.

While myself having both........it needs to be mentioned that the XBA Z5 will need some extra purchases just to make it usable. First off it does not sit in the ear well. The S6 beats it in comfort on all levels. New cables need to be purchased due to the stock rubber Z5 cable swinging the Z5 around moving it out of place.

While I love the Z5, it took an aftermarket balanced cable to make it usable and sonically come alive. The S6 gets going with the included cable and actually sounds better out of a phone in comparison to trying to use the Z5 underpowered.

So simply from an IPhone or Apple dongle the S6 is superior, with the Z5 with stock cable.....being nothing that crazy good. Get the Z5 a new balanced-cable and get some DAP or desktop-juice behind it and it comes alive. The Z5 is a great all-rounder doing all genres well, but probably doing electronic way-way better than the S6 after being powered right. The Z5 is an electronic music force of nature.

The Z5 is more of a basshead IEM and the bass is everywhere....not so very much sub-bass but bass and lower midrange in excess. The Z5 has more bass than the IER-Z1R, with the Z1R more sub-bass focused. Both the S6 and Z5 show a subtle V with the S6 being less on bass impact ..........which is logical comparing DD bass to BA bass.

Even though both IEMs could be considered warm, the S6 comes off more middle of the road likable due to not being so bass heavy. IMO

Really besides being complementary the two IEMs will maybe be liked by two different listeners, with the folks loving the S6 for the expanded midrange details and holographic imaging with-in the mids?

The S6 has the midrange expanded harmonics the Z5 only wished it had. It’s the action taking place in the midrange which makes the S6 slightly more fun for me. Still the biggest issue with the XBA Z5 has to be it’s shape, trying to place a USB stick into your ear. In many ways though the two IEMs are actually complementary offering a different experience which is unique to each, making owning both rewarding. IMO

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #2,558 of 5,201
That almost exactly describes my S8P before I replaced the cable. It was source dependent, and bad recordings masked it, but a new cable unleashed the beast, so to speak.

Ok, I went back and forth with 3 cables and confirm.
The stock Fearless cable (the new silver ones) gives me a congested feel.
Sound seems to open up more even with a $30 Tripowin cable.
But still, the level of detail and treble extension seems just so so. Not as much as I expected

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,560 of 5,201
The Sony XBA-Z5 is priced at $399 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/XBA-Z5-Balanced-Armature-Headphones-International/dp/B00PF89YXG

With that it’s priced very close to the Fearless S6 Rui.

While myself having both........it needs to be mentioned that the XBA Z5 will need some extra purchases just to make it usable. First off it does not sit in the ear well. The S6 beats it in comfort on all levels. New cables need to be purchased due to the stock rubber Z5 cable swinging the Z5 around moving it out of place.

While I love the Z5, it took an aftermarket balanced cable to make it usable and sonically come alive. The S6 gets going with the included cable and actually sounds better out of a phone in comparison to trying to use the Z5 underpowered.

So simply from an IPhone or Apple dongle the S6 is superior, with the Z5 with stock cable.....being nothing that crazy good. Get the Z5 a new balanced-cable and get some DAP or desktop-juice behind it and it comes alive. The Z5 is a great all-rounder doing all genres well, but probably doing electronic way-way better than the S6 after being powered right. The Z5 is an electronic music force of nature.

The Z5 is more of a basshead IEM and the bass is everywhere....not so very much sub-bass but bass and lower midrange in excess. The Z5 has more bass than the IER-Z1R, with the Z1R more sub-bass focused. Both the S6 and Z5 show a subtle V with the S6 being less on bass impact ..........which is logical comparing DD bass to BA bass.

Even though both IEMs could be considered warm, the S6 comes off more middle of the road likable due to not being so bass heavy. IMO

Really besides being complementary the two IEMs will maybe be liked by two different listeners, with the folks loving the S6 for the expanded midrange details and holographic imaging with-in the mids?

The S6 has the midrange expanded harmonics the Z5 only wished it had. It’s the action taking place in the midrange which makes the S6 slightly more fun for me. Still the biggest issue with the XBA Z5 has to be it’s shape, trying to place a USB stick into your ear. In many ways though the two IEMs are actually complementary offering a different experience which is unique to each, making owning both rewarding. IMO

You have an excellent collection!

I haven't tried the S6, just the 8. I agree on comfort. The S8 just sort of slid in and provided slightly better noise isolation. Comparing the two, the S8 is more mid forward, and the Z5, more V shaped. S8 was good for mainstream music, but sounds congested next to the Z5. S8 also doesn't do busy, fast music well imo. Sounded poor with metal. Z5 was made for metal! I have it run off a silver BGVP 3.5 and a copper BGVP 2.5. Sounds good out of my note 9. Better from Hiby R6. Comparing both, the Z5 was just a better Sonic experience out of phone or dap, with mainstream or heavy music. It's deeper and wider, and less congested overall.

I do agree on the stock cable though. Don't care for it, nor the tips. I actually think it opens up far more with spiral dot and spin fit, and doesn't sound too great with stock hybrid tips.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,561 of 5,201
Ok, I went back and forth with 3 cables and confirm.
The stock Fearless cable (the new silver ones) gives me a congested feel.
Sound seems to open up more even with a $30 Tripowin cable.
But still, the level of detail and treble extension seems just so so. Not as much as I expected
If you look at HBB's S8F chart, you'll see that from ~3-5k the Freedom peaks quite heavily. You're likely hearing that peak over the upper treble extension. The S8P, on the other hand, still has the same dip around 1k, but the upper midrange and treble regions are generally flat, which makes the extended regions more readily apparent. You might try to EQ down the offending frequencies and see if that gets you what you're after.

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #2,563 of 5,201
I've
The S8Pro is 15 ohms, while the S8Freedom is 26 ohms.

I am powering my IEMs through Samsung S10+, will I have any issues with S8F's 26 ohms?

I've been listening to a fair amount of both the S8s, as well as the Rui and the ACME8, through my iPhone XR the past couple days. The Freedom definitely sounds better than the Pro coming out of my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back