Favorite Vocalists....with rules.
Nov 5, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

QRanc

Head-Fier
Who's your favorite singer?
Please none of the obvious. No Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Diana Krall, etc. Everyone knows these already.

I'd say Caleb Followill from the Kings of Leon might be one of the best right now. I saw the Kings play on the weekend and he blew me away. On their first two albums he mumbled alot and wasn't so great, but he has really come into his own on the last two albums. An absoluteley unique and beautiful voice.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 19
Jeremy Enigk from Sunny Day Real Estate. I saw him play a solo set a few months ago, and it was incredible.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 19
Mikael Åkerfeldt. Noted for his work in Opeth, I particularly enjoy his work with the death metal band Bloodbath. His ability to get guttural and yet maintain a fairly good singing voice just astounds me.

Cheers!

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by QRanc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Diana Krall, etc. Everyone knows these already.

LOL Plant sucks as a vocalist while Mercury and Krall are good/great but not the best. If you are talking about underrated vocalist I'll vote for Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering and Midnight from Crimson Glory. If it's Death vocals Chalky from Psycroptic, Julien Truchan from Benighted and Guillaume from Gorod are a class above Mikael, who's death vocals I felt went downhill since Still Life. For Black metal vocals Nattramn from Silencer has got to be the best, his vocals are both hilarious AND creepy.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nattramn sucks.

That's why he's awesome!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Kari Bremnes, Christel Alsos, Radka Toneff, Amy Lee, ...

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 19
Devin Townsend. Period.

Others
Maynard from Tool
Frank Mullen from Suffocation
Mike Åkerfeldt from Opeth (MAYH to Blackwater Park only)

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 19
Ayumi Hamasaki. Maybe not a great singer but I just feel so at home with her voice.

Vile Vallo. Something about him.

Dave Grohl. He gets away with the screaming thing. I hate it when anyone else does that. He has a great voice though.

Amy Lee. May not like her much as a person but her pipes cannot be denied.

Chris Martin. Say what you will, I think the imperfections are perfection.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 19
I'll bite. METAL POST ON THE WAY
rs1smile.gif

Jorn Lande (solo, ex-Masterplan, ex-Ark, ex-Beyond Twilight, guest in Avantasia and Ayreon) - This man just has an amazing voice. The ability to maintain range with a grit and cry is so powerful. Unfortunately, he's an ass.

King Diamond (ex-Merciful Fate) - Holy falsetto Batman! This man-beast scares the bloody Hell out of me. Haunting screams at an insane range combined with a black-metal like atmosphere (or actual black metal for Merciful Fate) will make Freddy Kreuger re-think who really should be stalking you in your dreams.

Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, guest in several others) - My pick for favorite, most entertaining vocalist (inspired by Freddie Mercury). This man + voice dubbing = the most epic sounding tracks I've ever heard. I could listen to him scream "Nightfall" until the end of time.

Kai Hansen (Helloween, Iron Savior, Gamma Ray) - POWER. Just straight up POWER behind this man's voice. Blows your hair back anime style.

Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia) - So wonderfully melodic and one of the cleanest voices in power metal I'm aware of.

Rob Halford (Judas Priest) - I don't care how well known this man is. This is why: YouTube - Judas Priest - All guns blazing Live 1991, Painkiller tour

[Sir] Russel Allen (Symphony X, guest in Ayreon) - Anger, power, prowess, and class. This God among prog-power men has it all.

Marko 'Marco' Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot) - No, not the CHICK from Nightwish, but their long haired bassist who also sings in a band Tarot. Wonderfully unique voice, a great deviation from most. His Phantom of the Opera live from Nightwish's last live album never ceases to send chills down my spine

Jari Mäenpää (ex-Ensiferum, Wintersun) - The man who got me into harsh vocals (along with Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth fame, who isn't on this list because he was previously mentioned). His epic song writing combined with a wonderful harsh/clean dichotomy keeps me coming back for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back