Favorite Sony Over Ear Headphones
May 25, 2020 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Gamerlingual

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was curious as to what Sony over ear cans people like the best. I strongly considered getting the MDR-Z1R, but after using it with my WM1A, I found the MDR-1AM2 and the WH-1000XM3 to be the best for listening experience. The Z1R has muffled mids and the bass didn’t shine as much. But when I listened to the Z1R with the WM1Z, that is where the combo shines best. The mids are more present and the bass has a better presence without feeling like banging bass. Oh and to be clear, I sampled the WM1Z. What are your Favorite Sony cans and why?

May 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 21
This one

IMG_20200526_043750.jpg

Why?! Well actually im not fan of the tonality, only added it for personal collection since i found this baby at a good deal, cant resist not to own it, but if you basshead this cans probably satisfy you, budget version of Z1R i guess. The built quality is superb though, i loved it for that reason alone.

I myself cant stand glare of mdr1am2 (some song can be too piercing), this one is better at least reduce treble glare and more bass emphasis, still need proper amp to shine i guess since like his brother, mids kindda muffle and bass sometimes bleeds into it

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 21
This one

IMG_20200526_043750.jpg

Why?! Well actually im not fan of the tonality, only added it for personal collection since i found this baby at a good deal, cant resist not to own it, but if you basshead this cans probably satisfy you, budget version of Z1R i guess. The built quality is superb though, i loved it for that reason alone.

I myself cant stand glare of mdr1am2 (some song can be too piercing), this one is better at least reduce treble glare and more bass emphasis, still need proper amp to shine i guess since like his brother, mids kindda muffle and bass sometimes bleeds into it
What was your price for them?

May 25, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 21
What is this one? I cant tell from a pic.

Mine is the XB900N. Back off the bass you probably have the XM3's. Up the bass and they will shake your head. NC is meh compared to the rest but a better price. I read they have the XM3 drivers.

May 25, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 21
I find that 1AM2 can have quite strong treble glare when paired to brighter sounding gear or under powered sources.

1AM2 sounds better when paired to warmer sounding gear or given more power/balanced.

May 25, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 21

Mine is the XB900N. Back off the bass you probably have the XM3's. Up the bass and they will shake your head. NC is meh compared to the rest but a better price. I read they have the XM3 drivers.
My guess is the MDR-Z7? I could be wrong

May 25, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 21
What was your price for them?

279 dollar brand new, i just bought this 3 weeks ago

Z7 my friend, i believe they have been discontinued since there's Z7M2 now, finding this brand new is hard but i lucky can find it

I find that 1AM2 can have quite strong treble glare when paired to brighter sounding gear or under powered sources.

1AM2 sounds better when paired to warmer sounding gear or given more power/balanced.

Yeah that's what happened to me, that's why i sold them, i cant stand the treble glare, well maybe next time i will give them chance again since that time i can't find the source that can tamed those treble glare.

My guess is the MDR-Z7? I could be wrong

you're not wrong it's z7

May 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 21
279 dollar brand new, i just bought this 3 weeks ago

Z7 my friend, i believe they have been discontinued since there's Z7M2 now, finding this brand new is hard but i lucky can find it

Yeah that's what happened to me, that's why i sold them, i cant stand the treble glare, well maybe next time i will give them chance again since that time i can't find the source that can tamed those treble glare.

you're not wrong it's z7
Wow that is a good deal! Weren't retail prices like $700 before? Weird, I love my 1AM2 and when I play it with the WM1A, so far no piercing treble.

May 25, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 21
Wow that is a good deal! Weren't retail prices like $700 before? Weird, I love my 1AM2 and when I play it with the WM1A, so far no piercing treble.

Yeah, the owner said it was a leftover inventory he hasnot opened yet because he bought too many gear that time and he needed money fast that time

I dont have sony DAP that time, i only connected it straight to my smartphone, i have 3 smartphone, and all of them produced same treble glare, Yeah probably my source is bad then, at least this one doesnot have treble glare like 1AM2, i;m curious now to pair it to WM1A, maybe it can fix this tonality, now i connect it on my dx160 but i;m still not satisfied, i will try it later on store when situation got back to normal again.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 21
Yeah, the owner said it was a leftover inventory he hasnot opened yet because he bought too many gear that time and he needed money fast that time

I dont have sony DAP that time, i only connected it straight to my smartphone, i have 3 smartphone, and all of them produced same treble glare, Yeah probably my source is bad then, at least this one doesnot have treble glare like 1AM2, i;m curious now to pair it to WM1A, maybe it can fix this tonality, now i connect it on my dx160 but i;m still not satisfied, i will try it later on store when situation got back to normal again.
There is piercing treble when using my iPhone 11 Pro, so I do agree it's there. But with the WM1A, is more neutral and sounds solid. I was pretty surprised, but when you find the right player, it does wonders. I thought it was almost as good as the MDR-Z1R, honestly. My perception, although I understand the Z1R is a wonderful set of cans. But the 1AM2 are still underrated in my view. Yea, give it a try with both the WM1A and WM1Z. You would be surprised how much the treble feels solid after taking a test. Probably 10 minutes is a good chunk of time to sample them.

May 26, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 21
I love all the Sony cans I've tried! I own the 1AM2, Z7, Z7M2 and the legendary IER-M9 IEMs. I prefer the Z7 and Z7M2 with my desktop Jotunheim. But the 1AM2 and M9 are gold out of my little ZX300 DAP.

I'm a huge Sony audio fan nowadays. It all started with the 1AM2 for me! Great portable can!

May 26, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 21
I really miss my MDR Z7 :frowning2: They had some hollow sounding mids but man did they have the bass. They did fairly well up top too. I tried the Z7m2 and it wasn't nearly as good low end wise. Waiting patiently for a Z7m3 one day to get it right.
I hope the Z7M3 is made of wooden cups!

May 27, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 21
20200527_152841.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 21
What do you guys think of the Z7M2 vs the Z1R? Is there a huge difference in quality? The 1AM2 has been amazing with the WM1A. I'm wondering if 1AM2 and the WH-1000XM is enough to have for closed back headphones. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back