Favorite songs to "test" new IEMs
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jws919

New Head-Fier
Well, my sleeks will be here next week, probably.

I'm just curious as to the everyone's favorite songs to "test" a new pair out. Post links of the songs if you are feeling especially bored!

I'll probably use the following 5 when my sa6 arrives:

A Wilhelm Scream - "The Horse"
This is the song I listened to recently and realized I needed better IEMs than my Shure se210s. The bass part at like 20 seconds is just too much fun, and then when the guitars come in mimicking the same part in 2 different octaves - shows just how muddy the se210s are (the bridge also shows this muddiness).
YouTube - The Truth About Insane Clown Posse (ignore video)

Cake - "The Distance"
Songs driven by bass as much as this one are rare.
YouTube - CAKE - The Distance

Protest the Hero - "Sequoia Throne"
Intro, bridge, just great guitar parts sprinkled all around the song. Plus, the band has ADD and is just fun to listen to because of it (at least to me).
YouTube - Protest the Hero - Sequoia Throne

Sigur Ros - "Ára bátur"
Beautiful. Epic crescendo for the last like 3 or 4 minutes. Incredibly unique voice.
YouTube - Sigur Rós - AÌra baÌtur Music Video HD

Infected Mushroom - "Vicious Delicious"
Gotta have some psytrance.
YouTube - Audiosurf - Vicious Delicious [Infected Mushroom] (This video amused me. mainly cause audiosurf is kinda lame until you get to like 5 minutes through the build up...I laugh at stuff like this)

OK - so maybe I'm bored. BUT - I'm actually kind of curious about what you all look forward to listening to on your new IEM.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 17
i love to listen to donald fagen... i hope you are not testing headphone with music streamed of of youtube... the compression used on those videos might not be giving you a true representation to how good your headphones really are.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 17
If you want to get a goo feeling of the L/R separation "fat Lip" by Sum 41 comes to mind. I was blown away the first time I heard it through IEM.

For bass, I like "Lying From You" by Linkin Park(or any of their older songs from "Meteora" and "Hybrid Theory") as well as "Make it Rain" by Fat Joe.

For guitar, Avenged Sevenfold all the way!! (see avatar)

Just a few I thought of. I'll have to give yours a try as well.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 17
These are my favorites to test any hifi out with, not only great recordings but very involving music as well!

VM Bhatt and Ry Cooder, album is a meeting by the river and my favorite track is Ganges delta blues.

Loreena mcKennitt, live at the Alhambra( any track,they are all great!)

Dave Bruebeck, Time out, track, take five

Angels in America soundtrack by Thomas Newman

Ralph Vaughn Williams, the Lark Ascending, the academy of st martin in the fields

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love to listen to donald fagen... i hope you are not testing headphone with music streamed of of youtube... the compression used on those videos might not be giving you a true representation to how good your headphones really are.

Of course not, youtube is merely used to give people some idea of what the songs are if they don't know them. No way it sounds as good as .mp3...ever...

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Rage Against The Machine - Take The Power Back

Pink Floyd - Us And Them

Miles Davis - Human Nature

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 17
My standard for testing bass is currently Goldfrapp -- most of the tracks off of Black Cherry, but Train, Twist, and Strict Machine in particular.

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 17
bass test: frankie j - obsession

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Crash into me by Dave Matthews band is an awesome recording IMHO.

Lots of highs and an incredible sounding bass at the same time. It is not too dense but to be able to test a pair of headphones reproducing the lowest and highest of their range, and some lovely music is great.

Also, most songs from Hell Freezes Over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back