Favorite place to listen?
Jul 23, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
That's the question.I'm sure we all have a place,at home, at work,on the train ,on the bus,while taking a walk,while working out,etc,that we love most to listen to music.

I love to listen in my listening room and this was my favorite spot until recently.My wife bought us both very nice hammocks and stands right around Father's day and she is always out in our very nice backyard garden relaxing and listening.I tried it myself a few weeks ago(before it got really hot)and fell in love.Our garden is surround by a nice restored wrought iron fence covered in mature ivy,my wife has lots of flowers and various plants and spices growing.My favorite spot is right between our two dogwood trees and my wife's favorite Lilac bushes.The smells are great, the quiet is great.I have found the perfect envioronment to enjoy music.My wife uses a Grado amp with a set of Senns and a sony PCDP.I have been using the RKV and the Sony DVP-500 and the MF 324DAC along with my Senns.I have outlets in the ground around the yard so AC power is no problem.The tranquility is very nice and even though my house is in a flight path for Midway airport I love every minute of it.Today with temps in the mid 70s nice breeze,and no clouds in the sky was a really nice day to listen.Too bad I must now get in my car and drive to Ohare airport through midday traffic and work until midnight tonight.So, where is your favorite place to listen?

Jul 23, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 14
In my living room, on my favorite leather recliner. The wife and kids in bed, the lights out, nothing but me and the music.
biggrin.gif

5 times out of 10 I actually stay awake through an entire CD.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Usually in my bedroom when i'm typing away on irc or something. I'll use a pcdp, cmoy amp and sennheiser hd580's and jam to some dave matthews or something equally relaxing
smily_headphones1.gif

Fred, sounds like you have found heaven
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 14
My absolute favorite place is in Door County, Wisconsin. We have friends that have a home there and it is very secluded. Surrounded by forest with a view of the lake. The air is fresh and it is normally cool even in the Summer. Great place to relax.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 14
"I'd have to say my butt, Bob..."

I live in one of those apartments on the second floor that has a balcony jutting out under the canopy of an overgrown tree. When I sit out there at night, no one knows I'm there. It reminds me a lot of being a little kid, climbing trees and just sitting and watching people. It's also within view of the pool. Sometimes I like to extend a cable out there. Sometimes I use the Etymotic and just block everything out but the music.

Undeniably, I spend a lot of time laying on my couch listening or sitting on my computer listening, too, though.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
My absolute favorite place is in Door County, Wisconsin. We have friends that have a home there and it is very secluded. Surrounded by forest with a view of the lake. The air is fresh and it is normally cool even in the Summer. Great place to relax.

Wow!! I love door county as well.My wife is trying to get us to buy a house in Sister Bay facing the lake.I would love to do it but the six hour drive would ring me out before I even got there to relax.My dad's house in Lake Geneva is a great place to listen and relax.After a nice ride up there on our motorcycles that house is always nice to kick back in.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

Wow!! I love door county as well.My wife is trying to get us to buy a house in Sister Bay facing the lake.I would love to do it but the six hour drive would ring me out before I even got there to relax.

That is exactly what we found as well. 12 hours on the road on a regular weekend is not that relaxing. We debated buying a place their as well but decided that it would not get enough use. What we have done is take a day or two on top of a long weekend and stay up there. The other thing we learned from people that have places there is that the normal everyday chores that you do at home must also be compressed into the available time. So the relaxing Summer home becomes very little relaxing and a lot of work.

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 14
Tuberoller,

Your listening place sounds near-utopian!

I listen in my bedroom/workplace on my bed or at my desk. Maybe sometime I'll get a recliner or a butterfly chair to make the whole ordeal even more comofortable . . . but for the time being, I'm saving up for an uber-META.

Jul 26, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 14
At night, in bed. A few months ago, I had the little loaner. I was in bed, with my 580s, listening to brubeck's time out. It was magical. I though that they were actually IN my room. I had to send the loaner back. Maybe when I get my meta42, it will happen again. My cmoy seems so much smaller in comparisson. The soundstage just isn't there.

Can't wait to build that meta. . .

Jul 26, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 14
I really like listening to music when I go for a long walk. I take either one of my PCDPs or my MD(broken right now but I have another one on the way) and one of my many earbud headphones. I find this makes the walk seem shorter and more relaxing. I get exercise plus I can listen to music which is one of my favorite things to do. I don't know when was the last time I didn't listen to music at least for a few minutes during the day.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 14
Late at night, after a hard day's work, in the living room, lights out, lying on the couch with only my dogs at my side, the rest of the family out and about...musical flights of fancy and bliss abound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back