Favorite "One Hit Wonder"
Oct 10, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #61 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSiki99
No Rain - Blind Melon
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

The Verve had a 2nd hit with 'Lucky Man' I believe.

Besides I consider a "one hit wonder" to be a band/artist that were generally without redeeming/worthy enough musical qualities, aside from the one hit. The Verve were a very good band with quite a few excellent songs. Blind Melon does have a bit of a cult following which is based on the quality of the songs. I've enjoyed 'Galaxie' very much in the past, which was not a hit BTW.

Now I have a spontaneous need to hear my favorite The Verve song, 'The Rolling People'. And maybe 'Galaxie' as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #63 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Wow never realised that made it to the Us, must say it was a good song although by no means their best. Silverchair are huge over here and have had 3 or 4 number one albums that keep winning ARIA's. Just as some info on the side the lead singer is quite publically fighting athritus (sp?) and from memory is married to Natalie Imbruglia (you get any of her stuff over i nthe US?)

Theres your pointless Australian music trivia for today
tongue.gif

PS: I'd have to second the new radicals: Get what you give... great up lifing song

cheers
-jake

Would you recommend any particular album?

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #66 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Baby's Got Back - Six Mix Alot. What can I say, the man's a genius.

amen.

and a one hit wonder isn't a good group with only one commercially successful song- if that were the case, Jimi Hendrix would be a prime example of a one-hit wonder. it's a bad group with one cool/funny song.

sir mix a lot is definitely a one hit wonder. Baby Got Back is the only song anyone knows from him.

and it's a winner, especially for having the "m-m-me so horny" sample...

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #67 of 154
Silverchair's first album, frogstomp, is really quite immature teenage hard rock (I think they were about 15 at the time). It was quite reminiscent of a lot of 70's rock. With great songs including Tommorrow and Israel's Son.

By their second album, Freakshow, Silverchairs's songwriting was starting to show signs of maturity and their musical competance had improved considerably. There are sure signs of Pearl Jam and Nirvana's influence on these kids, but they still managed to have a distintive sound and their own song, not just another Seattle sound imitator. With great tracks including Abuse Me and Freak.

I saw them on their Freakshow tour. I don't think I saw them look at the crowd once, but they certainly knew how to rock.

Their third album, Neon Ballroom, while still retaining threads of their hard rock teenage angst stye, started showing a level of maturity well beyong their late teen years. This is a well considered and more mature offering. Popular songs included Ana's Song and Anthem

Diorama was their fourth album. It offered a much more mature and far less angry style of music. With songs such as "Across the night" being more reminiscent of theatrical progressive rock rather than earlier style based on the ubiquitous Seattle sound.

I kind of lost interest in them after this because Daniel Johns, the lead singer, got sick, married that chick who used to be on some dodgy Australian soap opera and also sings a bit.. that's it , Natalie Imbruglia. And Silverchair's music started moving in all sorts of strange directions.

Oh well, we have four great albums to remember them by. And all by the time they were 22!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you recommend any particular album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow never realised that made it to the Us, must say it was a good song although by no means their best. Silverchair are huge over here and have had 3 or 4 number one albums that keep winning ARIA's. Just as some info on the side the lead singer is quite publically fighting athritus (sp?) and from memory is married to Natalie Imbruglia (you get any of her stuff over i nthe US?)

Theres your pointless Australian music trivia for today
tongue.gif

PS: I'd have to second the new radicals: Get what you give... great up lifing song

cheers
-jake

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #70 of 154
damn, I can't believe no one has mentioned "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer. That song always does it for me! gotta love the parachute pants!!!
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #71 of 154
I know it was favorite one hit wonder, but you can't give just one so how bout a few

Children of the Sun- Billy Thorpe
One Toke Over The Line- Brewer & Shippley
Lake Shore Drive- Aliotta, Haynes, and Jeremiah
Never Met A Dog- Vinagar Joe
The Last Illusion- JF Murphy & Salt
Pinball- Brian Prothroe
Avenging Annie- Andy Pratt
Chevy Van- Sammy Johns
Isle of Debris- Stu Nunnery
Killer at 25- Glass Moon
Riding the Wind- Gulliver
Hot Summer Nights- Night
Head Under Water/Sepia's Sister- Shoot
Back to The Universe- Randy Pie
Be With Me- Butts Band
Living In The City- Hookfoot
Is He Better Than Me- Prism
Symphonic Slam- Modane Train
In The Arms of Mary- Chilliwack
You Gotta Let Go- Ironhorse
Recognition- Detective
A Fine, Fine Day- Tony Carey
Touch My Soul- Michael Fennelly
Baby Come Back- Billy Rankin
The Prize- The Blend
Elmer Fudd- Kill the Wabbit

OK, I'll quit.

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #73 of 154
'Rumours' - Timex Social Club

'Sunglasses At Night' - Corey Hart

'Take On Me' - a-ha

'You're My Obsession' - Animotion

'Amy' - Pure Prairie League (pains me to say it 'cuz I love this whole album 'Bustin' Out')

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #75 of 154
"Twist in My Sobriety" -- Tanita Tikaram: it was amazing this song was such a hit considering what a pile of word salad it is.
"Take My Breath Away" -- from the film Top Gun; the group who performed this song was called Berlin.
"Falling" (Twin Peaks Theme) -- Julie Cruise
"One Night in Bangkok" -- Murray Head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back