Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 5, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 192
Menomena. Both of their LP's are simply amazing, Friend and Foe is the best album of the year. I bought it on Vinyl (my first ever vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #49 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by event /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Menomena. Both of their LP's are simply amazing, Friend and Foe is the best album of the year. I bought it on Vinyl (my first ever vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Agreed. Unless something comes from way out of left field and completely blows me away, then Friend and Foe is easily my album of the year.

Despite that though, I would give my greatest discovery award to Porcupine Tree. I haven't felt this good about a group since Tool.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #50 of 192
On the classical side: at last I get CDs from two composers that I've always been curious about: Xenakis (chamber music) and Henze (symphonies). The Xenakis was performed by his strongest advocates available: the Arditti Quartet and Claude Helffer. This is not "easy" music by any stretch, but you cannot help but sense the incredible energy, seething in your head like a whirl of fireworks.

For classical ensembles: the Artemis Quartet with their impeccable percision, and Quatuor Mosaiques who simply do Hadyn right.

Outside classical, I'd name jazz singer Mel Torme as my discovery of the year. The Portugese singer Maria Teresa is another wonderful found.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #51 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyl930 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clazziquai - a Korean fusion band that combines various genres including electronica, acid jazz and house

They're ok but for some reason I can't stand that male's voice.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #52 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judee Sill ! No doubt the big find of the year for me, though when I play her for friends, I realize she's a bit of a guilty pleasure...say, an acquired taste.

Judee Sill is brilliant! Her output was not as prolific as other famous folk singers of her time (due to a tragic death), but I would put the quality of her music up there with Joni.
biggrin.gif

[edit] My best new discovery is Julie London.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #54 of 192
Battles (many thanks to Aman for bringing this band to my attention)
Tool
John Coltrane (This guy could be big someday I tell you
tongue.gif
)
"Forever Changes" by the band Love

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #55 of 192
Devendra Banhart:A young psy-folk singer.I love the genre so loved him too.Nothing very special though.

Terry Callier:I am ashamed I didn't know him till 6 months ago.An amazing artist.
Just get his "what color is love".I don't believe there is chance of not liking it.

Anglagard:One of the best prog. rock band of 90's, but they sound like they were from 70's without being boring.Definitely not an easy thing to do.

Antony and Johnsons:Sometimes sounds so hopeless or plain weird but absolutely original and worth listening to.The recordings are very high quality.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #56 of 192
Fun question, for me it would have to be White Rabbits, their debut Fort Nightly is a lot of fun. Also, St. Vincent's debut Marry Me is very impressive as well. Other than that, I have to admit that I'm embarrassingly late to the gate, but I've just started really getting into Bruce Springsteen this year, go figure. I guess it's the kind of thing where I had to be older to really get it.

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #58 of 192
Easily and without a doubt, Meshuggah.
Just cant say enough about them-changed my whole view on music.

ASMOX gets the "Head-Fi Recommender of the Year" plaque from me.

ENVERXIS has given me some nasty recs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back