Jun 30, 2005 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Poll away!
smily_headphones1.gif

I favor Bitches Brew over all else.

PS: These are for studio albums only.

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 24
I'm really digging on "Bags Groove" right now...

Edit - I like how you tried to discourage the obvious choice by spelling it "Kind of BLEW."
cool.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Edit - I like how you tried to discourage the obvious choice by spelling it "Kind of BLEW."
cool.gif

It was an accident, I SWEAR!!
biggrin.gif

I love Kind of Blue - I think it's a fantastic album, actually - just not as good as Bitches Brew, IMO.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 24
I own them all after a serous Miles buying binge over the past year.

And the winner is................................................ .................

The Brew. Words cannot describe how good it is.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 24
Bitches Brew

(Hmm, that reminds me -- time to crack open a cold one.)

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 24
Miles Smiles is such an underrated album, I do not understand why it isnt talked about enough, i love it and groove to it so much better than Kind of Blue. It borders on the hard bop side of things, but it is such a tried and true bebop album, its great, worth at least to check it out

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 24
I would have to say Kind of Blue. It was my first Miles Davis cd and probably my first jazz cd. It it the album that got me into jazz in the first place.

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 24
Total newb to Miles Davis and jazz in general here... I own Kind of Blue and love it to death (it was my bedtime cd for almost a month fairly recently), and have 'Round About Midnight which I enjoy almost as much. What of his works should I check out next? I guess Miles Ahead is the logical choice, since it's from the same era and I'm familiar with the sound...or should I try something else?

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 24
I think a great many of Miles' albums get overlooked, simply because Kind Of Blue somehow got stuck on page 1 of "Jazz For Newbs." Nothing wrong with that but it's just a good example of Miles, not the be-all, end-all.

If I just want to chill with Miles, the Cookin'/Workin'/Relaxin/Steamin' albums still really do it for me. Recommended.

But if I have to vote, it's Birth Of The Cool all the way - it really announced the arrival of Miles but (even moreso) it's musical content was so hip that it helped to permanently morph the art form itself.

Bitches Brew was also significant, but in a somewhat opposite fashion, announcing his departure from everything he had done before. Just a few years before his death, miles was interviewed and asked why he didn't play any of the straight ahead stuff he played for 20 years. His response was "man, that's boring sh|t." I report, you decide...

If you like Kind Of Blue, I recommend Cannonball Adderley's "Something Else" and if you get into Birth Of The Cool, check out Gerry Mulligan's "Re-Birth Of The Cool," a total remake of the original, 40 years later.

I've said it before and will again - Miles and Trane, while good examples, only scratch the surface of jazz. There are endless paths to explore from there.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 24
I actually prefer the psychedelic funk fusion of "Dark Magus" and "Get Up With It".

However if you are a fan of "Bitches Brew" be sure to check out "Live at the Fillmore East" for some smokin' live versions of it.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 24
I went with In a Silent Way,but it was a tough call.Their is so many good ones.Jack Johnson,Bitches Brew,Birth Of The Cool,I even like TuTu,though its no a classic like his others.The man left a body of work that will be listened to for centuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back