Favorite LAST album produced by a now defunct artist/band
Jul 4, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
He took no part in editing, song selection or post-production. I think it would be a stretch to say it was his "last album".

Even the name indicates that it was simply a preliminary "sketch" for the My Sweetheart the Drunk album.

Not to mention that it's not a patch on Grace :p

I see your point, but if someone asks me for his last studio album, its sketches, regardless if some fans were turned off by it, as i know some were. I personally thought it was a splendid mix, and i always personally viewed the first disc as the actual album and the second disc as a bonus.

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 27
Abbey Road by The Beatles.

Interesting tidbit: Their album Let it Be was produced and recorded before Abbey Road, but released to the public after they've produced and released Abbey Road.

Especially the second side (starting with Here Comes the Sun, if you have the CD) is a very solid and satisfying musical presentation. It's not just the songs themselves, it's how they blend into each other to completeness.
Even though The Beatles were near at their end on a personal level, they sure knew how to play Rock'n Roll as a band!

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Abbey Road by The Beatles.

Interesting tidbit: Their album Let it Be was produced and recorded before Abbey Road, but released to the public after they've produced and released Abbey Road.

my thinking exactly

Jul 13, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #20 of 27
QUEEN - Night at the Opera. Freddie Mercury dead = Queen dead.

Jul 13, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
An AMC fan!! Wow. I've seen Eitzel live about 4 times now. Course I live in the Bay Area. His shows are a real high-wire act. I've seen him break down in tears while singing songs about his now deceased muse. Gut-wrenching, heart-breaking stuff.
I didn't like the production much either initially but that album started sounding better and better the more I upgraded gear. It now makes perfect sense to me and I think it's the best AMC album which is saying a lot. Great choice! Since that one's taken, I'll pick:

Roxy Music-- Avalon

markl

Somehow I missed this message when you wrote it there Mark...hey, it's good to find another AMC fan anywhere I guess. I've seen Eitzel live something like 8+ times...as you know he can be pretty up and down live but some of these shows have been grand. (ME posted a sort of pained journal-style retraction of a tantrum he threw at the Great American Music Hall at his record company's website recently.) But his voice is indeed incredible, whatever the man's performance anxiety issues.

I'd have to say it's a toss up for my favorite AMC disc, in any case. I think Mercury might be mine, but I do like them all--esp United Kingdom, California, Everclear, SF. It was SF that reeled me in first, though, in any case...so I'd have to agree it has special qualities. Now I've got to go listen to it with again with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back