Favorite Jazz Musician
May 9, 2003 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
You can only name one.

Out of all my favorites, Sonny Clark holds highest regard for me. His consistancy in swing just astonishes me. I love how relaxed and free flowing he is, when he performs, he walks circles around a melody, unravels then puts it back together, endless fun and enjoyment in listening. Also, he sounds like he has roots in the blues and is recognizable in most of his tunes, it's totally awesome.

May 9, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 25
For me it would have to be Clark Terry. His solos are technically difficult, from a theory standpoint, but at the same time very melodic. Listening to his recordings do not do him justice, you need to hear him live and up close. In an intimate club setting, with just his quartet.

May 9, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 25
Mine would be Thelonious Monk. Not only was he personally a major jazz break through, but that would give me all his recordings with his fabulous cool, bop, hard bop and post bop contemporaries.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 25
why just one
well mine would be kenny g
when he plays, i just close my eyes & let the music take me away

if i had two
my other choice would be
najee

they're both very relaxing

May 9, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 25
Easy--Pops and Duke. No two musicians had as much influence on jazz (and other music) as they did. Sorry, that's two, but they are equal in my book.

Sonny Clark is a great pick. It's a shame he had such a short life.

May 9, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 25
Just one choice? Still easy to answer -- Bill Evans. He's the piano player on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (and many other outstanding albums).

Truth be told, my top 5 choices would all be pianists, but I won't list them here in the spirit of this thread.

May 9, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Old Pa, I dislike Monk, even though he was one of Clark's major influences.
tongue.gif

If I remember correctly, you have gotten into jazz for less than a year. I got "Criss Cross" when I was an undergraduate and did not like it either. Give it time. You may be surprised.

BTW, my .243 Browning A-Bolt Stalker is shooting into less than 1 MOA at 400 yards while just stretching brass.
wink.gif

May 9, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 25
Overall? Sinatra baby. Ever read "The way you wear your hat"? Changed my life.

May 9, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Marvin Sewell - a jazz guitarist in NYC. Quite possibly the funkiest man alive. Seriously better than any famous jazz guitarist that I know.

Of famous artists, Max Roach and Roy Ayers are my twin favorites.

May 9, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 25
I'm still a relative neophyte when it comes to jazz, but for me,

A tie: Bill Evans and Monk

Although in both cases, who they have with them (on particular albums) has a lot to do with it.

Examples:
The Bill Evans albums where he has Scott LeFaro on bass,

"Know What I Mean?"-- the Cannonball Adderley (with Bill Evans) album,

Monk with Mulligan,

Monk with Coltrane.

also, I suspect the Monk/Sonny Rollins collaborations are really good, though I haven't heard them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back