Favorite Grados/Magnums
Feb 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
Hey guys. For those of you out there who own who have owned or whom have listened to....

what's your favorite grado in their vast lineup? Do you prefer the magnum series instead of the grados?

Then for you who can answer this question, and is kind of the one I'm most interested in hearing...

How would you compare the Grado sound to that of the Magnum series? also, include what version of the magnum driver you're referencing? 

Please include the wood housing that you listened to the magnum driver in. Also include the setup you used. Feel free to compare your feelings on the magnums and grados with the sound of Sennheiser/AKG/ect. ect., simply as a reference point. If your Grado is modded include the mods. 

I love hearing about how people view Magnums and Grados. I don't post on here much anymore and after a quick search saw how this topic of discussion hasn't been brought up recently. So why not revisit it! Thanks guys!

I guess I'll include a bit of information about how I preferred my magnum can to my sr125i modded can. My magnums v4 are in limba wood cups that have been coated in oil to enhance the sound. My modded grados had around 4-5 holes punched around the driver to increase bass and the driver was also dampened with sticky tac. The wooden cups were Cocobolo and were actually crafted by Bilavideo (goes to show you how long ago I had these, ha). They sounded great and I used both with my LD1+ and fiio e10 DAC setup, being directly fueled by my macbook and from iTunes. The grados sounded fun, up front and slightly detailed. The holes around the driver added a lot of bass without bleeding too much into the mid or high range. The magnums on the other hand....were just so detailed. The mid range wasn't as up front but they had this beautiful clarity that was much better compared to the Grados. Both were a delight. While I now really wish I had just kept my Grados instead of selling them (wanted to regain some of my money back from the recent magnum purchase), yet my Magnums still impress me to this day. Next month I will have had them for two years. I don't listen to my music all that much via cans now as I have a growing vinyl collection and I honestly love listening to the warm bliss that is vinyl. But the magnums are so heavily detailed. The midrange can be really forward and great, but I feel like maybe the Grados had them beat in this regard. Grados, for some reason my mind has focused on, seem to have been more "fun" sounding. This could be my memory trying to justify me buying a Grado can again in the future. Then again, I only had the two at the same time for a week or two due to me having a sale already set up for the Grados following my magnum purchase. Due to the fact, as briefly alluded to, my memory is referencing a week period around two years ago maybe I'm wrong. Are the grados compared to magnums actually less forward sounding? The magnums are certainly more detailed oriented. The LD1+ setup I have naturally is pretty midrange oriented and sort of addresses and stresses the midrange, or so I feel. Maybe it's just the mids I'm referring to. anyway. Looking forward to what you lovely folks have to say! 

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 10

if anyone's interested, there are the magnums I'm referencing. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 10
....ok. What's up with Headfi? No grado love? Do people not like the Magnums anymore? 

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 10
bumpin cus no respone

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Nice. What about that particular Grado stands out to you? I've been thinking about getting the 325i. I love my magnums but I want...something with a bit more musicality. I heard recently on here that the MS2 is like the 325i's but better, and they cost pretty much the same.

What's your setup? What woods did you house your magnums in? What music do you particularly listen to?

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 10
  Nice. What about that particular Grado stands out to you? I've been thinking about getting the 325i. I love my magnums but I want...something with a bit more musicality. I heard recently on here that the MS2 is like the 325i's but better, and they cost pretty much the same.

What's your setup? What woods did you house your magnums in? What music do you particularly listen to?

Yeah, MS2 is up front and is especially good for metal I find, which I mainly listen to. I tried the 325's but they were just a bit too much treble-wise. Compared to the Magnums MS2 has more mid-bass, found the bass a bit lacking at times there. Used mahogany cups. MS2 is definitely one of the better bang-for-buck buys in the grado/alessandro line.

Use the Aune T1 or my M-Audio profire 610 for them, find they sound good with both.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 10

Yeah, MS2 is up front and is especially good for metal I find, which I mainly listen to. I tried the 325's but they were just a bit too much treble-wise. Compared to the Magnums MS2 has more mid-bass, found the bass a bit lacking at times there. Used mahogany cups. MS2 is definitely one of the better bang-for-buck buys in the grado/alessandro line.

Use the Aune T1 or my M-Audio profire 610 for them, find they sound good with both.

That treble is what I feel like I'm craving though. I feel like my tube amp will dampen it enough to make the overly shimmery 325i's down. hmm. I need to keep reading reviews and stuff. The MS2's are around the same price as 325i's right? I would love to hear more people's opinion on this.

I would just buy the highly regarded rs1i but, atm, they are far too expensive for my price range. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 10
The MS-2's seem more laid back. My current magnums are laid back enough for my taste. I want something aggressive, midrange heavy....

the 325i's seem to fit the bill. My birthday's in a month. Think I'm gonna keep my eye's peeled on the forsale section here and purchase a pair. If for some reason I don't like them I can always just resell them and consider the MS-2s....

really would love feedback from people though!!!

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 10
bump! Come on guys! play along!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back