Favorite Fried Chicken?
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
I was laying in bed watching The Office when my gf and I suddenly had an uncontrollable craving for fried chicken. We're quite the notorius food hunters, but we've never come across a satisfactory fried chicken!

We live in Seattle, so naturally Ezell's famous fried chicken is a great place to start--however we were unimpressed with the original recipe but have yet to try the crispy. Next we ventured to good ole' KFC but were equally unimpressed. Then we ended up going to the QFC deli and getting some fried chicken--a little too spicy but not bad. So we ended up just buying some frozen chicken wings and drumletes, and now we're going to fry our own chicken for the 2nd time.

We've looked for recipes online but the Internet is saturated with recipes and provide no real way of discerning which ones are good and which aren't. So now I've come to you, fellow head-fiers, asking what are your personal favorite fried chicken recipes? Recommendations of great places to buy pre-made fried chicken would be great for future reference, but I'm specifically looking for fried chicken recipes!

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 56
panko crusted deep fried fois gras. YUMM!
although thats duck, close enough.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 56
I can only think of one recipe for fried chicken that's awesome, and it's not really available outside my Grandma's house.

..which is halfway across the world... thanks for passing the craving on.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 56
Okay, so we went ahead and tried to make our own fried chicken.

We soaked the chicken in egg, which was seasoned with minced garlic, non-fat organic milk, salt and pepper. We then covered the egg-soaked chicken wings in some self-rising flour. We cooked the chicken in about 2 inches of vegetable oil on medium-high heat (7/10) for about 15 minutes until golden brown.

The result? It definitely LOOKED like fried chicken. And for the most part it tasted like fried chicken. Except the chicken skin was really "grainy." Could that have been attributed to the flour, or was it because we didn't cook it long enough? Was our recipe missing something?

And so the search continues...

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
I happen to love KFC's Hot And Crispy chicken.Tastes much better than the Original recipe and its less greasy too !

I have never tried KFC's Hot and Crispy chicken. Looks like I will have to try it on your recommendation!

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I can only think of one recipe for fried chicken that's awesome, and it's not really available outside my Grandma's house.

..which is halfway across the world... thanks for passing the craving on.
wink.gif

I really empathize with you here. Grandmas really do seem to have some sort of innate magical chicken frying abilities. My grandma (and mom's) fried chicken is the best I've ever tasted, and everything else is compared to it. Unfortunately I don't have access to her recipe even though I want it really bad.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 56
Mom never could make fried chicken like grandma. Grandma was a farmer's daughter, then when she went to college she minored in home ec. I got her to admit to me she did that for the easy A.
smily_headphones1.gif
Then later she was a farmer's wife. This woman doesn't use measuring cups or anything, it's just purely instict and experience. That's why it's impossible to reproduce what she does.
frown.gif

It's always "Oh, that's easy, it's a little of this, and a pinch of that..." yeah, right...easy.

I couldn't even begin to tell you what was wrong with your first go at it. I didn't even know you used egg to make fried chicken!

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 56
I can never find any good fried chicken in Illinois, with the exception of White Fence Farm. Too far north of the Mason Dixie. Man, I do not think that it is possible to find bad fried chicken in Georgia. Even the fried chicken at cheap lunch buffets is absolutely delicious.

EDIT: MMMmmmmmm... Pulley chicken

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Man, I do not think that it is possible to find bad fried chicken in Georgia. Even the fried chicken at cheap lunch buffets is absolutely delicious.

It isn't possible to find bad chicken here
biggrin.gif

mmmm...Weaver D's fried chicken here in Athens, GA
eggosmile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
This woman doesn't use measuring cups or anything, it's just purely instict and experience.

That's the way it's supposed to be
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 56
1911 knows what time it is - in Delaware, there's a place in downtown wilmington called Walt's Flava Crisp. REAL soul food, with tons of hot sauce. SO juicy and crispy and delicious with tons of meat on the bones - man, that stuff was great! Even better when they opened a branch in Newark for a bit and we went hog wild!

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 56
awesome - apparently Walt uses a rare way to "broast" his chicken - which is why it tastes so awesome! i found this on the web-

"Chicken Broaster
----- Original Message -----
To: phaedrus
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 2:37 PM
Subject: chicken broaster

someone getting out of the restaurant business donated a flavor
crisp chicken pressure cooker to our vfw post and we are looking
for any information on how to operate the broaster tnx

Hi Mike,

Gosh, this is tough. These broasters are usually sold as a franchise deal. You buy the broaster and the ingredients for the chicken batter from a company like Flavor Crisp, and they come in and teach you how to operate it. I wasn't able to find any instructions online, and I couldn't find a website for Flavor Crisp.

Here's a Flavor Crisp franchise:

Walt's Flavor Crisp Chicken 527 Vandever Ave,
Wilmington, DE 19802-4240 Phone: (302)658-1803

My suggestion is to call them and talk to the manager - "Walt", I guess. Maybe he can help you or can point you to someone who can. There are no "broasted chicken recipes" on the web that I can find.

Phaed "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back