1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

favorite Dream Theater album?

Discussion in 'Music' started by sduibek, Sep 20, 2008.
First

Back
1 2 3
  1. Azathoth
    A three-way tie between "Images and Words", "Scenes from a Memory" and "Train of Thought" (the heaviest album they ever did).

2. Sduibek
    I much prefer Awake over Images and Words, but that album has been popping up so much in this thread that I think i'll give it a few listens when I have time. Maybe I forgot something [​IMG]

3. Dublo7
    I just purchased my first Dream Theater CD today. I decided to start off with Scenes from a Memory, as it seems to be their most famous/popular.

I'm pretty damn impressed so far. Some of the lyrics are corny, but I'm not really listening to it for the vocals. The instruments and the mastering of the CD are top notch.

Through Her Eyes, Home and The Dance of Eternity are probably my favourite tracks so far.
    The Spirit Carries on is awful, though. It reminds me of my Catholic private school *shudder*

While listening to this album, I'm also reminded constantly of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

4. PWilson
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    While listening to this album, I'm also reminded constantly of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Well, they're similar in that they both tell a story from the start of the album to the end.

The Spirit Carries On of course has nothing to do with Christianity, as it's talking about past lives and whatnot [​IMG]

Home is awesome!

5. andrewsvt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I just purchased my first Dream Theater CD today. I decided to start off with Scenes from a Memory, as it seems to be their most famous/popular.

I'm pretty damn impressed so far. Some of the lyrics are corny, but I'm not really listening to it for the vocals. The instruments and the mastering of the CD are top notch.

Through Her Eyes, Home and The Dance of Eternity are probably my favourite tracks so far.
    The Spirit Carries on is awful, though. It reminds me of my Catholic private school *shudder*

Lots of people say that Scenes from a Memory is DT's masterpiece (including their own drummer, Mike Portnoy). I think it is a great album, but I don't like the concept/lyrics of the album at all.

6. Lad27
    I vote for Train of Thought.

7. Sduibek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I think it is a great album, but I don't like the concept/lyrics of the album at all.

Why not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well, they're similar in that they both tell a story from the start of the album to the end.

lol yeah. I don't see much similarities between the two albums, but a general similarity between DT and Pink Floyd? Sure. DT loves them and has covered some of their songs and albums already [​IMG] I would assume that PF was quite an influence on their music and style. Beyond that, though, these albums are very different IMO.

8. andrewsvt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Why not?

Well, I just think that it is a little naive to talk about reincarnation and past lives memories, etc... Don't get me wrong, guys. First, because my family does believe in that kind of stuff. Second, I'm a DT die hard fan, I even got 2 DT related tattoos. It just doesn't appeal to me. Not that I'm an unbeliever, nor that I'm trying to put them down. [​IMG]

9. Sduibek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well, I just think that it is a little naive to talk about reincarnation and past lives memories, etc... Don't get me wrong, guys. First, because my family does believe in that kind of stuff. Second, I'm a DT die hard fan, I even got 2 DT related tattoos. It just doesn't appeal to me. Not that I'm an unbeliever, nor that I'm trying to put them down. [​IMG]

Woah! Dude you gotta show us your tats [​IMG] And/or get them to post it on thier MySpace page [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am not sure what you mean about it being naive, though? Sorry maybe i'm just misunderstanding based on the choice of words.

10. andrewsvt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not sure what you mean about it being naive, though? Sorry maybe i'm just misunderstanding based on the choice of words.

The concept itself and the way they talk about that make it sound like a child telling a ghost tale, that's how I feel about it. But that's just a matter of taste, there are people who do like stories like that and I totally respect them. Anyways, as I said before I think it is a great album, but the lyrics just don't appeal to me.[​IMG]

11. YtseJamer
    It's A Change Of Season for me.

12. Garrett Merseal
    6 Degrees or Images and Words!

13. WraithApe
    Images and Words was the album I grew up with and I used to really like it way back when, but Dream Theater isn't a band I can listen to any more. Just too preposterous...

dream_theater_-_images_and_words_-_back.jpg

Here they pose as Gods among men, taking their place in the Pantheon.

robm321 likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3