1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

favorite Dream Theater album?

Discussion in 'Music' started by sduibek, Sep 20, 2008.
First

Back
1 2
Next

Last
  1. DayoftheGreek
    Scenes from a Memory.

2. scytheavatar
    Images & Words is pretty much the only Dream Theater album where Labrie's vocals doesn't make me want to throw my speakers/headphones out of my window. I actually was impressed by him at times.

3. Sduibek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Images & Words is pretty much the only Dream Theater album where Labrie's vocals doesn't make me want to throw my speakers/headphones out of my window.

What kind of speakers and/or headphones are they? Please consider giving them to me before throwing them.

4. japc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    What kind of speakers and/or headphones are they? Please consider giving them to me before throwing them.

Or you can go wait by his window for a pair of flying headphones.

5. Sduibek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Or you can go wait by his window for a pair of flying headphones.

lulz!

[mutters to self]...I wonder which make & model has the best aerodynamics?[/muttering]

6. Covenant Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    [mutters to self]...I wonder which make & model has the best aerodynamics?[/muttering]

4070's definitely, all streamlined aerodynamics, although they'd probably break through your neighbor's wall.

[back on topic]
    I bought Images and Words first and was quite impressed by it, and bought systematic chaos afterwards to see how their newer stuff compares. I was quite dissapointed, it seemed to lose alot of the harmonic elegance of IaW, in favour of a raw-er, more upbeat sound that I personally found grating.

7. Sduibek
    Lulz. I've had all my albums on Repeat/Shuffle whilst working for the last few weeks, and Falling Into Infinity has come up in the circulation several times now. The more I listen to this album the more I like it. It's not going to be my Top 3 or anything, but I am starting to really like it. Go figure [​IMG]

I think my DT faves at this time would still be Train Of Thought, Awake, and Scenes From A Memory.

8. Sduibek
    Yep, i'm being forced to eat a lot of my words. My stomach is full now and i'm losing my appetite.

Each time I listen to FIF and SC I like them a bit more. This is insanity! Insanity, I tell you!

9. fzsrv
    Studio - Train Of Thought
    Live - Budokhan

Has anyone listened to or viewed the new "Chaos In Motion" release yet?

10. PWilson
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I bought Images and Words first and was quite impressed by it, and bought systematic chaos afterwards to see how their newer stuff compares. I was quite dissapointed, it seemed to lose alot of the harmonic elegance of IaW, in favour of a raw-er, more upbeat sound that I personally found grating.

IMO, Systematic Chaos is really the first album to lose that flavour to a drastic effect. Much of Train of Thought and Octavarium, while definitely higher tempo and heavier than I&W/Awake, still play with elegance. SC is a cudgel in comparison [​IMG] (well, yes, that's an overstatement. But you know what I mean).

11. mattcalf
    Scenes from a Memory is great but A Change of Seasons is my favourite. Just because of that one (amazing) song.

I like Systematic Chaos too, I've had a good listen to it and I still like it so I guess it can't be to far away from the above two.

12. CMasten
    Have always heard folks talk about DT.. but never really listened to their music.

Ran "Awake" through its paces 2x today and Im floored. Superb musicians and vocals above any progressive rock bands I have heard to date.

I would imagine the boys from Rush put this on when they are out driving!

13. andrewsvt
    My favorite one is Images & Words... That's a landmark to what we know as "prog metal" nowadays. It's got it all, heavy music, shred and intricate parts, melody, real progressive moods, lots of styles mixed.

But I was really disappointed when I got their latest dvd, which I got the limited box with 3 extra cds... Very amateur shooting and recording. It is only worth as a documentary of the Chaos in Motion tour. Actually, that was the main idea of this release, so I shouldn't complain. [​IMG] And I don't know if it is only my copy, but the cd 3, the Schmedley song has a minor skip/glitch. Darn!

14. smashing
    I like every single DT album, except When Dream and Day Unite and Falling into Infinity.

But if I really had to choose one favourite album (Studio), I would go with A Change of Seasons.

15. Calexico
    Hm... I have Awake, Images and Words, Scenes From A Memory, Octavarium, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Systematic Chaos. I don't like Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, and I haven't really given Awake a chance yet. Of the three remaining, I honestly don't know which one is my favorite...

I think it'd be Six Degrees, although it's not as DT-esque as their other albums.

First

Back
1 2
Next

Last