Favorite Decade of Music? Why?
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Scriptor Carpe Diem

New Head-Fier
What is your favorite decade of music? If you want Why?

Also what decade would you like music to be followed after, example, 90s influenced and continued 90s sound.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 36
I would choose the 90s, 60s-70s equal, then 80s, then 00s~

I consider 50s part of a pre-era of modern music, so I just don't compare it with the others.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60s. Just so much awesomeness... I actually think the 90's are 2nd best. The 80's were a low point in music for my tastes.

totally agree.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 36
In classical.........

I'm a huge fan of 1850-1910, but I feel the apex is 1900-1910 followed by 1880-1890....it's not a coincidence that these two decades, very concentratedly focus on the greatest works by my two favorite composers.... Mahler and Brahms respectively

In Jazz

1940-1950 due to the birth bop and cool jazz, but the 50s is also very great for jazz

For Pop and Rock

1960-1970, and more specifically 1965-1975..............this period is very unique because it is the only period in history which I can think of where the biggest sellers were arguably the most artistic........The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Neil Young, Genesis, Yes, The Who, The Doors.......all their finest work emerges from this period, Bruce Springsteen, The Velvet Underground, Joni Mitchell, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding ,Aretha Franklin........it is truly a very special period for music....not everyone there listed was a million seller, but the point is...........there were two venues of music at the time AM Radio and FM Radio.........FM radio was the platform that all serious collectors went to and its today the majority of what is remembered from that period.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 36
The 80s: it was the decade for electronic music: for the first time the technology became affordable, and people were not afraid to experiment, to make beautiful sounds just for the sake of beautiful sounds. With the 90s came a backlash against anything synthesized (notably the "Unplugged" business); electronic music had to retreat from the mainstream or had to associate itself with marketable genres like rap. It is a loss that it has never recovered.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 36
60s.

free & avant-garde jazz (later works of John Coltrane is enough to put this decade in front...) like Albert Ayler, Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders, et al. plus plenty of innovative late 60's rock, like:

King Crimson's debut, Doors' debut, Leonard Cohen's first two albums, Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk & Trout Mask Replica, Velvet Underground's first two, Neil Young's Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, early Frank Zappa, early Pink Floyd, Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, Tim Buckley's Happy Sad, Bob Dylan's early electric period, Led Zeppelin's first two, Stooges' debut, Pet Sounds, Beatles, etc...

the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that 60s is unmatched. but don't get me wrong, there's been plenty of great music in all decades since
wink.gif

70s is a close second for progressive rock, krautrock & punk.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 80s: it was the decade for electronic music: for the first time the technology became affordable, and people were not afraid to experiment, to make beautiful sounds just for the sake of beautiful sounds. With the 90s came a backlash against anything synthesized (notably the "Unplugged" business); electronic music had to retreat from the mainstream or had to associate itself with marketable genres like rap. It is a loss that it has never recovered.

100% agree.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 36
70's. FM Radio was the best it ever was...

Loved The Who, Townsend solo stuff, Rush, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, and Genesis and Zepplin during this era. All were at their peak in the 70's.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 36
90's. i'd say pretty much all of my all time favorite albums came out then

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 36
65-75 rock/pop

It's best because this is when I was 10-20 yrs old. Music was a big social tool and kids were drawn to the new found freedoms of expression.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 36
60s because it is the golden age of music that matters, i.e., music people dance to. Rock, Reggae, Blues, R&B, Pop, Jazz all had their birth or saw their peak hereabouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back