favorite bob dylan albums?
Jul 15, 2004 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
i absolutely blonde on blonde, and hwy 61 revisited

however, i dont like any of his other albums even 1/2 as much.. even the lauded blood on the tracks, love & theft, freewheeling bob dylan, time out of mind, etc... seems like there's no parity ... am i weird?

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, I even find his less-loved albums like Street Legal to be pretty extraordinary, so I guess I'm biased. Seems like if you like one, you'd like 'em all. Still, Blonde on Blonde is hard to beat for me.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Well, I even find his less-loved albums like Street Legal to be pretty extraordinary, so I guess I'm biased. Seems like if you like one, you'd like 'em all. Still, Blonde on Blonde is hard to beat for me.

I would say my overall favorite is "Blood On The Tracks." I also liked "Desire" a great deal. There's no question that these "later" Dylan discs are considered inferior by long-term "Dylan-philes." I like them anyway. "Blonde on Blonde" is definitely the classic "if you only want one Dylan disc what would it be disc." He does have have some good compilation discs out....

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 15
It would be much easier to pick out the odd one here and there that I don't like!

There really is something special about "Desire" but if I had to pick just one it would be "Blonde on Blonde"

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Similar for me...
1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Blood on the Tracks

I've always sort of liked Empire Burlesque also, since that came out when I was first discovering Dylan ("Tight Connection to My Heart").

Favorite Dylan tune / performance:
Idiot Wind on the Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 Rare and Unreleased (song #20 on Disc 2)

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

i absolutely blonde on blonde, and hwy 61 revisited

Those are my two favorites as well, along with Bringing It All Back Home. If I had to choose one, it would be Blonde on Blonde.

It's amazing how many truly great albums this man has made.

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Volume 5 in the Bootleg Series (The Rolling Thunder Revue) is just amazing. Makes me wish I'd been there.

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 15
i only have the sacd of "blood on the tracks", but it is a great album. more cowbell, lindy!

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Blood on the tracks is one of my favorite albums ever. A much overlooked song on that album is "you're a big girl now". Unforutnately the far superior (and sadder) version is on the Biograph compilation.

An often overlooked album that is some of Dylans very best storytelling is "john wesley harding"

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 15
definitely blonde on blonde...have anyone gotten a chance to compare the sacd to the redbook? is it worth it to get the sacd?

Jul 16, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
Volume 5 in the Bootleg Series (The Rolling Thunder Revue) is just amazing. Makes me wish I'd been there.

I was there, and it was indeed amazing.

JC

Jul 16, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
definitely blonde on blonde...have anyone gotten a chance to compare the sacd to the redbook? is it worth it to get the sacd?

Actually, I'd like an answer on that too. I've had that SACD in my hands a number of times, but keep recalling some commentary on it being terrible. I could simply be remembering wrong, but I'm being unusually cautious given the extremely checkered (to put it kindly) recording quality associated with this classic album.
Some years back, I spent large dollars for a remastered, gold cd that was terrible.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back