Fathead seeking comfortable, portable cans
Aug 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bozanimal

New Head-Fier
1000x500px-LL-e2359445_shure_srh750_2.jpg

First and foremost: Great forums. These are a great resource, and I appreciate everything the users here are and continue to do.

I've been looking for a pair of comfortable headphones that can do double-duty as a primary listening device at home and secondarily for travel.

Here's what you need to know:
  • I have a gigantic head. Seriously, it's like Sputnik.
  • I wear glasses.
  • I want the headphones to fold for storage and transport when not in use.
  • I strongly prefer a detachable, single cord.
  • I prefer over-the-ear, closed-back headphones for noise isolation.
  • Ideally $100 - $200, though I have some flexibility.
  • As for availability, I live in the Boston Metro area.
  • Appearance is not a major concern.
  • It will be primarily for PC gaming and audio, and secondarily run off an MP3 player (not an iPod) while traveling (think airplanes and subways). I will be listening to a variety of modern rock, jazz, rap, and classic rock, MP3 driven (technically WMA at 128kbit/s). I do not need a mic.
  • It will not run off a headphone amp, at least not initially, though it is something I will probably consider down the road.

I've had my eye on the Shure SRH750s, which meet a lot of these criteria, but I've read that they can pinch your head, and I'm concerned about excessive coloring, particularly in the lower frequency ranges (I'm okay with slightly elevated bass, coming from a car audio enthusiast background).

I am open to any and all follow-up questions and recommendations, or even just a confirmation if I'm on the right track.

Happy listening,

Boz

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Grado would be good, but then they fold flat and not fold towards the band. Which I find better. Flat vs round shape, flat is better for travel

Other then that, there is the M50 and the 750's you listed

And all the flack you found on the 750's just normal negatives. Even the best cans get shot down, so take everything with a grain of salt

Go for the Shure 750's because they are relatively good cans, 840's would be better IMO but not so good for travel. 

You should, I have to push this, you should save up to get a pair of Shure 940's because they pretty much fit your entire criteria while being great cans that I value at about $600 from a $300 can. 

EDIT: watch for German made cans, somehow, the German's have smaller heads then the rest of the world. I have a medium sized head and I sometimes max out a Sennheiser in sizing.

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 5
You might like the Sony MDR-V6. It folds up (not flat) but is easy to transport. Look at Sonystyle to see if they have any refurbs - they run around $40-$50.

Though you might want to go for their big brother, the MDR-7509HD. Also folding, and I think retail runs around $200. I got my pair used for about $100. Good for travel and I really enjoy them.

I'm not entirely sure if either would be a good fit for your head. Mine wears about a 7 3/4 hat, which is average. But the MDR-7509HD is big and I'd like to think they'd be comfy on you.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I really appreciate you mentioning that it's "normal negatives." It can be tough to pick through what one reviewer found annoying versus what is the general consensus.

Quote:
And all the flack you found on the 750's just normal negatives. Even the best cans get shot down, so take everything with a grain of salt

Go for the Shure 750's because they are relatively good cans, 840's would be better IMO but not so good for travel. 

You should, I have to push this, you should save up to get a pair of Shure 940's because they pretty much fit your entire criteria while being great cans that I value at about $600 from a $300 can. 

EDIT: watch for German made cans, somehow, the German's have smaller heads then the rest of the world. I have a medium sized head and I sometimes max out a Sennheiser in sizing.

I'm using the Sennheiser HD 202 II cans now, and find them to be both tight (*edit* as in squishing my head tight) and a bit lacking in soundstage and crispness. I appreciate the Shure 940s look like the best available option but, much like my car, I think the 750's will get me where I want to go. Especially when looking at the frequency response graphs for the recommended headphones, I'm thinking the 750 is looking like a good price/performance compromise, even if their low-end does end up being a bit boomy (still nervous about that).

graphCompare.php

Still, if I'm missing a potentially great potential headphone, let me know. I'm not in a rush, and I'm open to alternatives, even if it means some compromise here or there.

Thanks!

Boz

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Some people are concerned with the build quality of the 750dj...the ATH-M50's are a nice alternative. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back