fat bird
Nov 23, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 21
lol... I just asked that too in another thread...

I've deleted mine... but will pose the same question in yours...

I guess it has something to do with thanksgiving, as that is only three days away (isn't it??)

If not... erm... any idea?

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 21
Man, I was just going to start a thread on teh turkey, but was bear to the punch!! I think it's kind of neat having the big gobbler hanging around. Good job Jude & co.

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
duncan, haha i just saw your thread and was replying.. than you deleted it! arent you the moderator??

I am indeed...
wink.gif

I have a feeling that neil has something to do with it... and seeing that you're from Oz, you'd be as unlikely to know as me... if it IS to do with thanksgiving, seeing that to the best of my knowledge only the US celebrate it?!

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 21
duncan, i believe so.. what a strange lot they are.

the turkey is pretty cool tho, maybe it'd hang around and become the head-fi mascot. it aint over till the fat turkey smells!

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I am indeed...
wink.gif

I have a feeling that neil has something to do with it... and seeing that you're from Oz, you'd be as unlikely to know as me... if it IS to do with thanksgiving, seeing that to the best of my knowledge only the US celebrate it?!

Canada has a Thanksgiving celebration also, sans turhey. There is also a country in Africa that celebrates this also, but I can't remember which one it is!!

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 21
That fat bird is an American icon. Thanksgiving is Thursday 28 November this year.
Every year we celebrate the taking of the land from the indians. Oops, I mean we celebrate something that has to do with overeating. No, thats not right either. It's got something to do with pilgrims, and indians sharing the first harvest in the new world. Maybe. Whatever the reason, we Americans try to get the whole family from all reaches of the country to one dinner table (with a second table for the kids) and see who can eat the most. Turkey is the traditional food of choice for the main course, with pumpkin pie for dessert. And every family has a peculiar family recipe food that they force on all the members of that family. If you don't like it you will be told how some ancestor made this way back in the beginnings of our country, and how it has been passed down from generation to generation. Usually they will toss in some sad story to make you feel guilty for not liking it. There is also usually some kind of disagreement between some family members which will lead to a fight and the police and ambulance being called. After all is said and done and everyone released from the hospital, everybody heads back to their homes saying what a great time they had and promising to to it again next year.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 21
Anybody know the REAL origins of Thanksgiving? Was it really the pilgrims and the native americans getting together to eat dinner? Or was it something that someone decided to do as a warm-up feast for the winter holidays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back