fastest thing on 4 wheels????
Jan 30, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 41
Wow, the ultimate go-kart!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here is the home page.

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/

You lucky Brits!

EDIT:
Actually you can buy a used one for just over $52K.

OK, so when is tuberoller getting one?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
YEs! YES! IT DIDNT BEAT THE ENZO!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA I WIN AGAIN : P
tongue.gif

All these years later, Ferrari *still* can't develop a car that challenges the McLaren F1.

Neither can any other company (not even going to start on the Veyron), so there's no shame (or not much, anyway), but the Enzo isn't, and will never be, the "fastest thing on 4 wheels".

As for the Ariel Atom, yes, it's an awesome (weekend track-only) car, but honestly, after all these years, I'd still prefer a Lotus/Caterham Super Seven.
biggrin.gif

~KS

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
hehe, 911GT1, all that needs to be said
biggrin.gif

The 911 GT1 (along with the Mercedes CLK-GTR, Nissan R390, etc) attempts to better the McLaren... I don't think anybody can really say that it does. It's quicker-accelerating than the stock F1, but the F1 LM equals or beats it (in just about every metric of performance).

Not to mention whereas the F1 was a true road car, those were both GT1 class racers masquerading as street-legal machines, with the sole raison d'être being to take advantage of the FIA GT racing rules loophole. The F1 LM is also kind of the same thing, but at least in it's case, the street version came first.

~KS

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 41
for some reason i cnt view that page
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
The 911 GT1 (along with the Mercedes CLK-GTR, Nissan R390, etc) attempts to better the McLaren... I don't think anybody can really say that it does. It's quicker-accelerating than the stock F1, but the F1 LM equals or beats it (in just about every metric of performance).

Not to mention whereas the F1 was a true road car, those were both GT1 class racers masquerading as street-legal machines, with the sole raison d'être being to take advantage of the FIA GT racing rules loophole. The F1 LM is also kind of the same thing, but at least in it's case, the street version came first.

~KS

Hmmm... what about the Koenigsegg CCR? That's a car which outperforms the McLaren F1 LM in topspeed. And it's a streetracer too. And much prettier for what it's worth
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

All these years later, Ferrari *still* can't develop a car that challenges the McLaren F1.
Neither can any other company (not even going to start on the Veyron), so there's no shame (or not much, anyway), but the Enzo isn't, and will never be, the "fastest thing on 4 wheels".
As for the Ariel Atom, yes, it's an awesome (weekend track-only) car, but honestly, after all these years, I'd still prefer a Lotus/Caterham Super Seven.
biggrin.gif
~KS

Ferrari never had intention of breaking the speed record. Many times the scuderia announced that they'll prye on formula 1 technology into street cars. For the prancing horse, it was not their best interest to start a meaningless horsepower war. Just pointless for the rosso team.
Yes, I do like the caterham super seven much more than ariel cars too. I take history very serious in automotive hierarchy.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Hmmm... what about the Koenigsegg CCR? That's a car which outperforms the McLaren F1 LM in topspeed. And it's a streetracer too. And much prettier for what it's worth
icon10.gif

Yes, the Koenigsegg CCR is an awesome car and fast indeed. Only thing is the rated top speed of the CCR by Christian von Koenigsegg is 240 mph. That number is an estimate and not proven yet where as the McLaren F1 topspeed is rated at 242.

In 1998 at Volkswagen’s proving grounds at EhraLessien, the McLaren F1 driven by Le Mans and Daytona winner Andy Wallace (and with the rev–limiter disconnected, allowing the engine to spin to 7,800 rpm), with Guiness World Records officials present set the fastest producion line car speed record at 240.1 in 6th gear at well over 7,000rpm. This was a top–speed record for a road car–and it remains unbeaten today.

Many have tried and all have posted top speed estimates that are impressive and could very well give the F1 a run for it's money, but none have succeeded. The CCR however holds the record as noted by Guiness and many auto manufacturer's as the most powerful production line car at 806 hp whereas the F1 is rated at 627 hp.

BTW at the 2003 Gumball Rally (similar to the Cannon Ball Run rally) held in Las Vegas someone entered the race driving a Koenigsegg CCR, it was reported that it's speed on the open roads were in excess of 220 mph.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
YEs! YES! IT DIDNT BEAT THE ENZO!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA I WIN AGAIN : P
tongue.gif

Meh, The Stig never does a perfect run which is kind of silly since they are testing the cars performance. On that video, he clearly jacked up 2 corners. So it's not really an equal test.

I bet if you compared a perfect Enzo run to a Perfect Atom run it'd be even closer, or even a bigger upset. That thing is basically a street legal tube racer, where as the Enzo is more or less an detuned F1 car with body paneling. The lighter tube Atom technically has better stats in both power and handling ability.

I'd still rather have an Enzo
smily_headphones1.gif
But I really would consider an Atom if I got more into solo1 racing. Hell I'm considering one now... only I'm trying to save up for a house. Damn you toys! DAMN YOU!

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

biggrin.gif

~KS

In what, top speed? On certain tracks, the Enzo would hand the SLR it's ass. On a long sweeping up hill track is about the only place the SLR would beat the Enzo every time.

Don't get me wrong, the SLR is an amazing piece of engineering and most definitely deserving of all of it's praise. But on an F1 track, I'd choose the Enzo over the SLR if I wanted to win.

If I had to choose one to own, I'd pick the SLR. Mainly because of it's engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back