Faster card writing.
May 20, 2015 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BruceBanner

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I have and Alien Shozy (which i enjoy lots). I am looking for advice concerning micro sd card reader/writers and actual cards themselves as part of the Alien process is to copy WAV or FLAC files across to an sd card, sometimes daily for me and the faster this is done the better.

Let me be clear, the microsd card HAS to be ejected from the Shozy to copy/transfer files across, so far I am using a card reader, and depending upon sd card I get various transfer speeds.

It just so happens that my mbeat 7 port usb hub is dying, so I am kinda in need of a new hub as well.

The way future computing is going, I may well end up with a Surface 4 (or 5) tablet as my main device, so I think the card reader/usb hub in the form of a hub (and not something that is intergrated into the front of a desktop pc) makes most sense.

So what options do I have?

Please feel free to educate me, I really don't know the ins and outs of sd cards, speeds, types and the right readers they might require to actually get the most from the cards themselves...

It's very possible I only require 8gb cards (as I'm unlikely to listen to more than 8gb of WAV in a single day), it is more about buying the right kind of card in combination with a good reader to get the fastest write times possible.

Cheers,

Bruce

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 8
I use a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader for that:

url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D79VH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's about as fast as is possible to be, costs under $10, and can be used in anything.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Do you have usb 3.0 slots? The plastic inside the slot would be blue if they are.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 8
oh yeh for sure. Thing is, i think some external hdd (with usb 3.0) have gotten around 80/90mb/sec transfer speeds, but any flash capable device never really has on my pc. Meh.. i prolly plugged in bits in the wrong places when i built this machine years ago lol

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 8
That figures. You're going to be bottle-necked by the speed of the card rather than the reader 99% of the time. If you're willing to spend a little more for a higher write speed, I recommend a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 8
I doubt yer right, these are cards capable of 80-90mb/sec speeds (http://au.lexar.com/microsd-633x) issue lies with the pc.

At the bottom of that link it states that the speed you quoted is for read speed, and doesn't specify whether it's sequential or random. You should never expect to get the rated speed out of any device or accessory, as they all buff their numbers to benefit themselves. Still, you should definitely be getting sequential writes of about double what you've been seeing.The fact that you're getting 20 MBps leads me to believe that somewhere along the chain from the mobo to the sd card you're getting USB 2.0 speeds that are bottlenecking you. Your hub should be plugged into a USB 3.0 slot on the computer, preferably directly into the mobo, not the case. It's better to skip it all together for testing purposes. Also, if your case is USB 3.0 compatible but your mobo isn't, then it won't matter if everything else in your system is USB 3.0 or not, so you might want to double check that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back