Fast, bright headphones with exceptional instrument separation for ~$100?
Jun 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

CrystalT

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of SoundMAGIC ES18 which is great for quite a few of my genres of music, but find that it performs poorly with Power and Progressive Metal. I'm looking for full-sized, circumaural headphones, preferably open ones that are fast so they don't get overwhelmed by faster, and busier tracks, that emphasize the mids and lower highs (think "punchy", where you can FEEL the impact of a snare drum, or FEEL the crunch of a palm mute), light on the lower bass (Due to contrary belief, bass-heavy cans are ******* terrible for metal. They congest the sound, and it drowns out the string instruments. A palm mute has no business sounding boomy unless it's sludge, or funeral doom.)

At the moment I'm looking at:

Koss UR40
Audio Technica ATH-AD500
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

For those of you who notice the lack of Grado: They aren't circumaural, and I don't want to have to spend extra to make them so. I also want a more airy presentation, with better stereo imaging, and instrument separation.

Another thing: i REFUSE to go above about $115 AFTER shipping and tax. You MUST take in to account shipping and tax, and the fact that I will NOT go above my price range. Also, I prefer used, factory refurbished, or open box. If you suggest the market place, please provide a link of a currently OPEN classified that falls within my price range.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 62
Unless someone wants to sell me their modded t50rp, I don't think I want to take the risk. I'm very poor, so I would rather make a safe purchase.

Without an income outside of a small living allowance, and plasma donations, I don't think I want to risk a purchase where I have to do much of the work with no guarantee that I will end up with what I want.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:
I would suggest looking into the KRK KNS-6400. You can probably find a 8400 as an open box item for $115. They're closed though.

I haven't heard the 6400, but I've heard the 8400 and it's not really bright, so probably not what OP is looking for.

My vote goes to the AD-700.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 62
KRK KNS-6400 gets my vote, even over the 8400. And over similarly priced Grado models for instrument separation and treble accuracy.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:
How's the instrument separation? Closed or open?
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

They are semi-open.

Instrument separation is about what you're going to get from any circumaural, open cans. You're not going to get Grado-like separation out of any circumaurals because circumaurals move the driver away from the ear by design which creates soundstage, lessening the effect of instrument separation. Grados get their separation (and speed) from the fact the drivers are smushed right up against the ears by design.

If you really need this separation you should really just get Grados. Otherwise just be aware you're going to have to sacrifice the separation and speed of Grados for circumaural comfort.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 62
I'll confirm that AD700 is light, open, ~$100, and is either bright or at least bass-lean with one of the best soundstages around, though how that translates to instrument separation is debatable.  I'll second the Grado comments as well though.  Hard to get as fast and bright as a Grado
basshead.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 62
The K240S compared to the AD700 has somewhat of a midbass hump and low mid emphasis. They're both have enough midbass to be punchy though. The AD700 has a larger soundstage, or the K240 sounds more upfront/forward. Personally I feel the AD700 is more comfortable but a lot of people have weird issues with that. They both have less crunch than a SR60i. Both are pretty airy, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back