Farewell my little Maddie...
Mar 11, 2006 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Our little toy poodle Maddie had been declining in health rapidly. She couldn't stand on her own, she could barely walk, and has not been eating much.

So my wife and I took her to the vet and had her looked over again and decided to have her euthanized.

She was in so much pain before, waking up often, crying throughout the nights. We embraced her until she finally stopped breathing, she let out a small snort and sigh sound. And she looked so peaceful. I feel so guilty for letting her live in pain like that for as long as I did. She has had the shakes for awhile, and seemed to be having tiny seizures all the time. But she always had a healthy appetite. We had to hand feed her in order to get her to eat. In the span of a few months she went from 10 lbs to barely 6 lbs in weight.

Farewell my little Maddie. You gave us 18 years of love and happiness. We love you, and we will miss you...

Dom_Maddie_3-10-06_02.jpg

Here is last picture of Maddie with my wife.

-Ed

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 38
Sorry to hear about the loss. Losing a beloved pet is never easy, and it looks like Maddie got plenty of love in her lifetime.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 38
I feel sorry for you man. My dog died last week, its been hard for me to. I'm sorry for your loss. I only had my dog for 8 years, but I can't imagine the pain of having a dog for such a long period of time (18 years) and losing her.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 38
Sorry for your loss ed. I went through a similar thing with my cocker spaniel about a year ago. He was 17, and at the end he wasnt eating much, had the shakes, and the vet said that he had apparently had some sort of a mild stroke. We took him in and had him put down after he was barely moving around anymore. It's always tough to lose a pet, especially one you've had for so long. I'm sure she lived a long and happy life...

btw...that's a beautiful and sad picture...

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 38
Sorry for your lost. Cherish the memories you have of her and she must be happily running around free of pain and sickness in the Dog heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 38
Very sorry to hear this
frown.gif

My girlfriend and I actually have a 12-year old toy poodle, who we've spent about $1500 on vet bills (various operations) in the last few months (110% worth the money). Luckily ours is back to A-1 condition now, but we know the worst will happen eventually... when it happens it's going to destroy my girlfriend who has had her since she was a puppy.

That picture looks just like the way our toy poodle lies on us.

Sorry again for your loss.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 38
It is amazing how much happiness and companionship dogs bring into our lives. They do not ask for much back, just to play and pet them. We definetly have the better end of the deal.

Sorry about your pet, 18 years is a long time. But there are a lot of fun memories there.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 38
Dude...I'm sorry to hear this news. 18 years is a very long time in doggy years and I am sure she lasted so long due to the care and love you gave her. Really sorry to hear this.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 38
i feel so sorry. my girlfriends family just had her dog put to sleep. she hated him, but i liked him, so i was so sadden by it. my condolences to your family
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 38
Terribly sorry for your loss. I've always found it easier to get a new pet right away after losing one (not to cover up the memory of the previous pet, but rather to honor it).

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 38
Thoughts are with you folks, Ed. I've been there and will be again.......it sucks having to make these kinds of decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back