Far out man
Nov 14, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

We are REALLY small.

hehe, i remember seeing one of these in a book when i was a tyke. and then i watched it over and over in various science classes (jr. high and high school). then, when i took an astronomy course my freshman year at berkeley, the prof showed it again with a warning: try not to think too too much about it. he had a student once who took the film too much to heart. she realized how little we were and how insignificant we were, and decided there was no point to what she did anymore. she ended up flunking out after that (then again, it could just be a good excuse for someone who couldn't stand the rigors of college).

but remember... as small as we are in comparison to the universe at large, we are also gargantuan in relationship to a quark. each of our individual cells is like a galaxy of quarks.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Even at the furthest setting it still cannot contain the greatness that is my ego.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Even at the furthest setting it still cannot contain the greatness that is my ego.

Oh, I don't know....taking the furthest setting vs. a quark? I think we can squeeze that in
tongue.gif

Great avatar BTW....spunky from Rocko's Modern Life if I remember my cartoons right.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 13
okay, the powers of ten video!
I was already into astronomy, but that video made me think about physics.
Realize: a supernova contains all the chemical compounds of life as we know it.
Makes you think don't it?
md

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Realize: a supernova contains all the chemical compounds of life as we know it.

As my intro astronomy professor liked to say:

We are made of star stuff.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 13
i'm reminded of a douglas adams book and monotone voice calling out to me.. "get into the chamber.."

i guess the book wasn't true though. according to it, everyone who just saw that would be dead.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back