Fancier Tech Flex?
Apr 2, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 40
Ed,

Email Marc at CableOrganizer.com and ask him for a sample of the nylon multifilament and whatever other type you're interested in buying.

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
In the event you guys want to do a group buy on any of the TechFlex, I'd be willing to coordinate it, and pitch in $50 too.

Would the Chrome XC TechFlex be covered in this? I need to buy some to make some cables anyway, and if shipping could be saved, 'twould be nice.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #21 of 40
Well, it would be kind of pointless unless we can find interest for a Minispool's worth (or do you want 50 feet?), since you can buy it by the foot.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #22 of 40
I was going to get 25 feet, but I could buy 50 feet, if anyone wants just a few feet.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #23 of 40
Anyone interested in the Teflon?

Heheh, uh woah. Look at the minispool prices......
eek.gif

-Ed

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 40
Uh,...

Ladies and Gentlemen...

For some outstanding color selections of wire covers, in an array of sizes,

Go to your nearest mountaineering/outfitter and ask for cutoffs of climbing rope(sometimes FREE!)...strip out the center strain elements, get a mandrel about the size of your finished bundle of wire, flame the ends to stop fraying, thread your wires, and WALLA!!

Hope this is helpful, from a low post count know-nothing.

Regards,

The Big Ugly Guy

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 40
Hey, in thinking, I'll probably be getting 50 feet or more. My el-crap-o Horizon guitar cables really suck. Constantly dying on me, fuzzing out, etc. No wonder too, if you look inside 'em. Bare stranded wire, just rubber insulation, and a pretty crappy solder job onto an equally crappy jack. Some friends of mine expressed similar dislike, and said they might buy cables if I made 'em, and they were half way decent. So I was thinking of getting some Belden 89259 or Canare GS-6 (still deciding), then covering it with Chrome XC for better shielding. Flexibility isn't really an issue for me; as long as there's not this metal rod coming off my guitar, I'm good. I use a right angle connector anyway, so it's flush with the guitar already. Anyhoo, at the least, I'll be making a 20 foot and 10 foot cable. Add that to the minis and whatnot, I'm going to be wanting 50 feet at least. Cableorganizer sells a 100 foot spool of 1/2" for $96.99, so if anyone else is interested, I might be able to get that.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Would the Chrome XC TechFlex be covered in this?

25' of the same Chrome for $10+. Actually they have 25' of basic PET for a decent price too.

I would be curious if the Nylon Monofilament makes the same "leather sandal creaking" when moved as the soft feeling carbon conductive I use on a certain cable. That stuff makes Teflon look quite inexpensive to me, heheh...

I would tend to think Teflon, as slippery as it is, to make the least noise, if any. The Halar looks real interesting, black instead of clear, with similar props as Teflon.

When you change the "feet" to higher quantity on wirecare.com, the price drops considerably, choose your supplier after comparing the same quantities. Check the "rounded" option whenever available.

Larry

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
What exactly is "rounded"?

Does that prevent fray? I guess assuming you don't cut the piece down to smaller sizes?

I'm really interested in the "cloth-like" Nylon (NY) Multifilament.

Rounded means the product won't be flat like starched slacks, tacky IMO. Doesn't prevent fray though, that can be handled other ways. Depending on the length and expansion, you will almost always need a couple extra inches or extra yards if you f up.

I would be interested in you getting the NY too, cloth like nylon in a tight arrangement could still have a noise, one way to find out. It's expansion is relatively small 1-1.5 so you need to get it the right size in the first place. Whatever your final bundle measures out, that's the size you need, or a hair smaller if you want a tight look.

You thinking about doing your Sony's?

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #30 of 40
Well, the Sony already has a cloth covered cable. It's covered with silk, apparently.
tongue.gif

I want to make a nice K1000 cable. (and one for the R10 when I eventually convert it to a balanced cable.)

Replacing the shell of the K1000's Neutrik XLR connector was easy. I unscrewed it, and put the stainless steel X-HD series one on there.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back